Snowblower Forum banner

HS928 right transmission case

11K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Honda1132 
#1 ·
Hi all, new member here. I own a small engine repair business here in New Brunswick, Canada. I am fixing an HS928 tracked blower. The right side trans gear case had a couple broken gears that I am replacing. But I am having problems on what kind of grease should I use inside the gear case when I re-assemble it. I would think any kind of general purpose grease would be fine but wanted to make sure. Thanks, Kel

#2 ·
Im after rebuilding 5 in last 2 years on blowers I bought and sell,,,, I use red wheel bearing grease in the tub from Canadian Tire,,,, I was told to use that from a Honda shop here by mechanics be cause its more durable and lasts longer,, and more water resistant,,, I also use it on the chute motors on the hss and gear around the chute itself,,, so far all the ones I sold the rebuilt blowers to said they work fine,,, im sure theres others on here that will be on later tonight will tell you more good products to use

#4 · (Edited)

Attachments

#6 ·
Yes the pin on the main shaft was broken along with the gear that it drives. Still waiting for the parts. I'll also change all the bearings and bushings. As far as grease, I called my honda dealer and he looked in their repair manual and he said is say's to use general purpose grease. I have a couple pouches of Molybdenum cv joint grease that I will use.

#11 ·
I did mine (1995 HS624) last year with no prior experience working on snowblowers. The worst part of it was remembering how everything went back together. The service manual isn't overly informative; it's just a fancy part diagram.

I numbered everything with permanent marker as I took it out, and also numbered the part on the page of the manual with the part breakdown. That really helped me because I took it apart first to see what I'd need to order (it was most of it :p ).

As far as I could tell the transmission had never been touched in over 20 years. I was lucky; the gears were rusty and a little pitted but they were salvaged. Had I left it any longer I might not have gotten most of it apart.

#15 ·
Gents, I know this is an old post.

Kelpaso, chaulky45, JimmyD, blizzardhater, have any of you gents, found the grease fitting in behind your right track, allowing you to grease the right transmission? A few weeks ago I posted a couple pics of it. From what I can find out, it is only on the Canadian version.

I have seen 2 different HS724TCD with it, a 2008 and mine a 2009. Thanks for looking...

contender (SWO Canada)

#17 ·
YSHSfan, no, I did not buy mine new, but the 2 machines I have seen with it, are unrelated,

Besides, both the Owners Manual and the Service manual, list " greasing the transmission " in the list of maintenance schd, if you check my post from I believe Mar 28th, you will see a couple poor pictures as well as a section of the service manual. Hope this helps. My Honda service guy told me the other day that it was a Canadian thing....??

#18 ·
both the Owners Manual and the Service manual, list " greasing the transmission " in the list of maintenance schd, if you check my post from I believe Mar 28th, you will see a couple poor pictures as well as a section of the service manual. Hope this helps. My Honda service guy told me the other day that it was a Canadian thing....??
I looked at that post (I had missed it :plain:), and yes, I agree it looks factory.
It must (as you stated) perhaps be only on the Canadian HS models that have all the bells and whistles (that we in US did not get on the previous generation HS units).

#19 ·
My 2009 HS724, does have the on board 12 V start as well as electric joy-stick, but the 2008 , I referred to is a manual start. The Honda mechanic also thought it was a narrow window of machines that had it, i'm just trying to decide what other models it appeared on, ie the 928.

I can say now mine has 4 grease fittings, 1 factory as discussed above and one on each auger and one on the impeller shaft, installed by me....

This machine had not seen much in TLC , so I am trying to free things up. Currently have the pins out of the drive sockets(drilled out) but they are still froze to the axle, have a soaking cap applied to each one full of Blaster. Thanks for your interest....

#21 · (Edited)
Honda1132, thanks for looking, so I wasn't dreaming. That's 3 that I now know about, does yours fit the 2008-2009 time frame? My dealer told me it was a fairly short production run.

My Service Manual, on page 3.2, under the heading of Maintenance Schedule, says to grease the transmission and on page 3-9, it shows a picture at the bottom of the page, the middle pic. This is the only reference I can find.

The owners manual also mentions to grease the transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.