LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Rusty Noma all apart

Well not completely-half of the auger is stuck but I'll get it off. Interesting design w grease fittings to supposedly prevent auger stickage. Someone skimped on grease?? Stands to reason as the axle bushings are shot and axle worn. Luckily I had a piece of 3/4 shaft and have already transferred the sprocket to it. Other than that it only needed an impeller bearing which I scored off the Bay for $20-love those special bearing sizes that aren't off the shelf sizes. As you can see the repaint will take the most time but the snow is 6 months off right? I'll post more pix when it is looking nice. GJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0768[1].jpg (219.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0767[1].jpg (215.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0766[1].jpg (151.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0759[1].jpg (228.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0760[1].jpg (280.2 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 06:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 44
Maybe you wrote it elsewhere; but what's the rest of the story on this unit . . . . it looks like it sat idle out in the weather for the past 10 years?
post #3 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 08:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Received): 45
IMHO, you will spend a lot of time and money to get this unit to look halfway decent, and the finished product will end up with a so-so snowblower. I would start with a quality machine, i.e. Honda, Ariens, Toro, and then your finished product will be a great machine. Unless, there is some family reason for doing this. That machine is very rusty, inside and out.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes FearlessFront liked this post
post #4 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I posted in the Murray section thinking it was one. The Bobcat I rescued was almost as crusty. It is rather generic being a friction drive unit. I need projects to keep busy. The 10hp engine is a keeper for perhaps adding to a later find. Yes the trick high buck models are nice but not for me unless FREE.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 21
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzijohn View Post
Well not completely-half of the auger is stuck but I'll get it off. Interesting design w grease fittings to supposedly prevent auger stickage. Someone skimped on grease?? Stands to reason as the axle bushings are shot and axle worn. Luckily I had a piece of 3/4 shaft and have already transferred the sprocket to it. Other than that it only needed an impeller bearing which I scored off the Bay for $20-love those special bearing sizes that aren't off the shelf sizes. As you can see the repaint will take the most time but the snow is 6 months off right? I'll post more pix when it is looking nice. GJ
Looks like that stuck auger won't the last time you'll find a lack of grease and oil used!
As for the poster who questioned restoring a machine like this I'd say why restore a high quality machine or rare machine when you can tinker and play with something nobody else wants. Sometimes it's the chase that's appealing not the catch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Toro CCR1000
2007 Cub Cadet 524SWE
post #6 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 38
I think this is going to be a fun project. Wire brush it, prime with oil base primer, oil top coat, or a paint that can be sprayed, it will look great, something he can be proud of. All this rust can be wire brushed or grinded off.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, electric snow shovel, all for sale
post #7 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 09:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 10
Good Luck with your project.
Some people like restoring old old vehicles, some people like restoring old snowblowers.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I got very grungy wire wheeling rust today. I turned 71 Monday so I can claim a bit of "Oldheimer's" eccentricity. I spent 34 years as a mechanic at the U of MN-we fixed everything from window fans to building generators. I got impressed with Simplicity blowers long ago when repairing one from a dormitory. Hmmmm-maybe I can graft this 10 horse on the Bobcat. Oops, no leave that alone!! ps I got the auger off
post #9 of 14 Old 05-19-2017, 06:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
This guy is working on about the same machine. Maybe this will help.

I find a lot more satisfaction in bringing something like this back into service than fixing up what was a very expensive machine to begin with. All that happens is the original owner's loss is greater on the expensive machine than the cheaper unit.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-19-2017, 10:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 21
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzijohn View Post
I got very grungy wire wheeling rust today. I turned 71 Monday so I can claim a bit of "Oldheimer's" eccentricity. I spent 34 years as a mechanic at the U of MN-we fixed everything from window fans to building generators. I got impressed with Simplicity blowers long ago when repairing one from a dormitory. Hmmmm-maybe I can graft this 10 horse on the Bobcat. Oops, no leave that alone!! ps I got the auger off
Will there be "film" at 11? I know how it is, at 69 I've got that CRS (can't remember sh*t for those of you that don't habla).
PS: Ever tried this stuff after you removed the heavy rust? Worked for me.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=53177286

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Toro CCR1000
2007 Cub Cadet 524SWE

Last edited by 524SWE; 05-19-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page