New Deluxe 24 - not a great first experience - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 12-18-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
New Deluxe 24 - not a great first experience

New England, first storm, maybe 6" mostly fluffy. I like to scrape the pavement, as my driveway is very smooth. This seems way too light in the front end - it just keeps stuttering across the pavement, bouncing the front end constantly. Auto-turn seems to not like scraping pavement either, as it really fought me trying to go in a straight line. Was better if I was turning or curving.

Anyhow. I guess I'll have to get weights. Is there a way to adjust the scraper to less aggressive of an angle so it doesn't want to skip?

UPDATE - After yesterday's storm here in New England, went out around 7pm, this is really dialed in now, because it slid so nicely across and was oh-so-close to the pavement. There was so much wind and blustery snow that the ground was covered immediately again anyhow. I was so WRONG and am very appreciative of everyone's suggestions below. If you have a new Ariens, go to the dealer and complain about the skids and they will replace with poly under warranty. An amazing difference!

Last edited by kjjb0204; 02-10-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-18-2016, 07:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 7
Raise your side skids....
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes nwcove liked this post
post #3 of 30 Old 12-18-2016, 07:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
New England, first storm, maybe 6" mostly fluffy. I like to scrape the pavement, as my driveway is very smooth. This seems way too light in the front end - it just keeps stuttering across the pavement, bouncing the front end constantly. Auto-turn seems to not like scraping pavement either, as it really fought me trying to go in a straight line. Was better if I was turning or curving.

Anyhow. I guess I'll have to get weights. Is there a way to adjust the scraper to less aggressive of an angle so it doesn't want to skip?
I used my new deluxe 24 for the first time yesterday,the skid shoes were not adjusted right,so I had to raise them so the scrapper bar was scrapping the pavement more,because it was leaving too much snow on my blacktop driveway.only thing I noticed was at the end of my driveway was a lot of ice buildup,it was kinda bouncing up and down and I was getting traction,but the rest of my driveway was fine,I love the auto turn seems to work great...I had to re-adjust the shoes this morning because I had the scrapper dragging too much,hopefully I got it right this time,I'll see next snow storm..so my first impressions of
My new Ariens is excellent,hopefully it stays that way,and is reliable for many years to come!!

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
post #4 of 30 Old 12-18-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens1976 View Post
Raise your side skids....
I had them in their highest position and the scraper bar was indeed in contact with the pavement. So much so, that it kept catching and bouncing the front end up. It doesn't want to glide across the pavement when it's resting on the scraper bar.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-18-2016, 08:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 62
The scraper bar should not be in direct contact with the ground. You should have the scraper bar1/8 off the ground. The runners will break in on a few storms and the scraper will get closer to the pavement .

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks uberT thanked for this post
post #6 of 30 Old 12-18-2016, 08:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
I had them in their highest position and the scraper bar was indeed in contact with the pavement. So much so, that it kept catching and bouncing the front end up. It doesn't want to glide across the pavement when it's resting on the scraper bar.
As Ariens69 indicated, the scraper bar should be at least 1/8" off the ground.

If you have a piece of 1/8" cardboard, just place it under the scraper bar, and loosen the skid shoes until they drop down, and make contact with your level garage surface. Then tighten, and you're good to go.

You'll leave a bit of snow on the driveway, but you'll have the required clearance, and Autoturn should work flawlessly.
post #7 of 30 Old 12-19-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato View Post
As Ariens69 indicated, the scraper bar should be at least 1/8" off the ground.

If you have a piece of 1/8" cardboard, just place it under the scraper bar, and loosen the skid shoes until they drop down, and make contact with your level garage surface. Then tighten, and you're good to go.

You'll leave a bit of snow on the driveway, but you'll have the required clearance, and Autoturn should work flawlessly.
That's the problem, I think any snowblower should be able to scrape along the pavement for the cleanest surface and have no problems doing it. My previous two machines could slide right along with the skids raised all the way and the scraper bar taking the weight. Why should I have to make adjustments and buy accessories to get this thing to do the same?
post #8 of 30 Old 12-19-2016, 11:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 98
The single stage machines will scrape the pavement clean. You're going to have wear issues doing that with the 2 stage Ariens.

I understand you don't want to have additional expense, but the poly skids are likely to improve your experience.

Make sure everything is squared up. Ariens has a video covering this.

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2014 Ariens 28" 921036 | poly skids | heated grips

2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | ARMORskids
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #9 of 30 Old 12-19-2016, 11:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 266
Be sure that your tires are equally and well inflated as that will also cause it to pull one way and seem awkward - but yeah, a 1/8" difference from the shoes and scraper bar is about right on adjustment. The poly skids are also very nice to have.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #10 of 30 Old 01-08-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Again today, this snowblower doesn't want to scrape the pavement without bouncing and leaving little piles of snow. Why do I have to spend more $$ and add weight to this to get it to do what I want? I do NOT want to leave 1/8 of snow on the ground. In New England, that turns into a sheet of ice for the rest of the winter. No thanks. I sold my 8-year-old craftsman thinking I was upgrading but that would scrape right along the pavement with no issues, ever. The dealer is going to need to do something here because I am just not happy with this performance at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page