LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-11-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
ST924 drive stuck in gear.

I have an ST924 which is very similar to an ST824 model 924050. In the middle of blowing I suddenly lost drive power in both forward and reverse. At this time, with the engine running, when I hold down the drive leaver, the axle is locked solid and no movement in forward or reverse. With the drive lever engaged I can then squeeze the auger lever and both the augers and throwing impeller work well spinning as they should. The machine will still not move then and the axle remains locked solid. When I release the drive lever the axle is free and I can then push the machine around. When I engage the drive leaver the axle is once again locked solid.

When I flip the blower up on it's bucket and remove the bottom cover pan, all looks well. The friction disc is in good condition and it is adjusted properly. When I squeeze the drive leaver, the large aluminum drive plate moves up and engages the friction disc as it should. I then spin the large drive pulley by hand and all seems to move as it should. When I right the machine, start it up and push down the drive leaver to try to move it, no luck as the axle is locked in place and will not move.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what is wrong with my blower.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-11-2017, 05:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 12
GAfternoon L45, Does that 'Aluminum Plate' spin by hand? When the friction wheel is not touching it? That should be connected by a shaft that's rotated by the engine belt, and should NOT rotate if the belt is properly installed. The fact that the wheels won't turn when the lever is engaged, leads me to believe that the belt is in place. The next step would be to remove the drive belt and verify that the Aluminum Plate WILL spin. GLuck, J
post #3 of 3 Old 01-11-2017, 08:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 12
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockfortyfive View Post
I have an ST924 which is very similar to an ST824 model 924050. In the middle of blowing I suddenly lost drive power in both forward and reverse. At this time, with the engine running, when I hold down the drive leaver, the axle is locked solid and no movement in forward or reverse. With the drive lever engaged I can then squeeze the auger lever and both the augers and throwing impeller work well spinning as they should. The machine will still not move then and the axle remains locked solid. When I release the drive lever the axle is free and I can then push the machine around. When I engage the drive leaver the axle is once again locked solid.

When I flip the blower up on it's bucket and remove the bottom cover pan, all looks well. The friction disc is in good condition and it is adjusted properly. When I squeeze the drive leaver, the large aluminum drive plate moves up and engages the friction disc as it should. I then spin the large drive pulley by hand and all seems to move as it should. When I right the machine, start it up and push down the drive leaver to try to move it, no luck as the axle is locked in place and will not move.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what is wrong with my blower.

Sounds like your belt is broken, broken spring on tensioner, or your woodruff key to friction plate shaft is broken. You have to check & inspect drive belt setup ...
If you can freely spin wheels / move machine with drive lever in normal state ( not held down ) then when you press / hold drive lever down and machine will not move it tells me the friction plate and wheel assembly is working as it should. Remove belt cover and inspect belt closest to the engine and the tensioner spring & idler pulley. Thats a place to start. Good luck on the repair.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page