LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-11-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 13
Ariens annoyances

So, I have a two year old Ariens Deluxe 28 and there a few things that annoy me about it.

First, the silly auto turn annoyed me. I went through the procedure in the video and that helped a bit. Finally I replaced the skids with Armorskids and the auto turn annoyance went away. But now, the leading edge of those skids climb up on packed snow and the machine leaves an inch of snow underneath it. Very annoying.

Next, in reverse the scraper bar plows snow behind it and will collect to the point where the tires spin. The only way to recover is to push down on the handles and lift the front of the machine off the ground. This is VERY annoying, the machine is **** heavy. I don't understand why backing up over an area that I just cleared would drag snow with it.

I think I'm gonna put the stock skids back on and deal with the auto turn annoyance again.

Maybe you guys can suggest ways I can be less annoyed?

Craftsman 5/22 with impeller mod & poly skids,
Ariens 28+ Deluxe 921037 AX291
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-11-2017, 11:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 64
Instead of putting the stock skids on consider Ariens poly skids. They have the same pitch and shape as the stock metal skids, and will likely resolve the auto turn dificiencys?

Honda HSS1328AATD
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite
post #3 of 17 Old 02-11-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for that. The reviews of the poly skids say they do in fact fix the auto steer. I wonder if they'll help with the climbing and reverse "plow" annoyances.

post #4 of 17 Old 02-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 2
I just got a Ariens 24 Platinum and put the "Ariens" poly shoes on at the dealer. I have not had one issue with auto steer so swapping the Armour skids for the Ariens is a good suggestion.

I know mine also has the axle positioned diff to help auto steer, but honestly I haven't had one issue so the shoes probably help too...

Ariens 24 Platinum model 921050 with Poly Shoes

Sold my 17 yr old John Deere 828D for $300 in Jan 2017
post #5 of 17 Old 02-11-2017, 01:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Also on the plow issue...your machine is front heavy, which is why they moved the axle back to assist with auto steer. Possibly raising your scraper bar slightly may help if it's a pain to manually lift up on front end when going backwards.

Ariens 24 Platinum model 921050 with Poly Shoes

Sold my 17 yr old John Deere 828D for $300 in Jan 2017
post #6 of 17 Old 02-13-2017, 09:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 7
I put the poly skid shoes on immediately after purchase. Have not experienced the stock metal skids. I think the auto turn works great, and my drive certainly is not the smoothest. I have areas that transition from asphalt to uneven interlocking stones and the auto turn has been flawless.
Draggz likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-14-2017, 01:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Garage
I just got the Deluxe 30 EFI, and still have the original skids on it and have weirdly slope driveway that raises on one side more than the other so in essence it "twists" for lack of a better descriptioin, and I notice it gets a little grabby when I het the twist but my old Craftsman with the little levers to steer did the same thing so for me, the auto turn is a godsend. I think I will keep the original skids on it for a while and get used to the machine then try the poly ones so I'll know the difference better.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-14-2017, 01:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 129
Likes (Received): 98
The poly skids work real well. I ran several machines yesterday and think they're probably the best. My other 2 stage machine has the ArmorSkids.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-14-2017, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 19
Backing up w/the bucket a few inches off the ground is common procedure. Otherwise you'll beat up the bottom of the bucket in no time.
When you back up as you are doing, you turn the machine into a 900 pound guerilla. Back up w/a slight tip of the bucket and let the
machine do the work.

Additionally, when you are traveling from one section to another in a high 4th or 5th gear, you'll want to travel with the front bucket slightly raised up as well.
This should all be somewhere in the manual.

Finally, if you are doing a long driveway or similar type runs, make sure you overlap your rows. If your bucket is two feet wide, don't go the full two
feet on the next row. Go 3/4 or 4/5 the width of the bucket on the next row. It's cleaner and quicker.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-15-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by toroused View Post
Backing up w/the bucket a few inches off the ground is common procedure. Otherwise you'll beat up the bottom of the bucket in no time.
When you back up as you are doing, you turn the machine into a 900 pound guerilla. Back up w/a slight tip of the bucket and let the
machine do the work.
Easy for you to say. Putting my weight on the grips and pushing down to lift the front of the machine up is no picnic with a bad back. I still don't understand why the scraper bar snags so much snow in reverse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page