LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Breaking shear pins

Just about every time I use my snowblower I end up breaking a shear pin. I know objects do cause them to break, however my question is can a shear pin break because it is on too tightly? Should they be put on loose enough so they can turn?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 08:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieBoston View Post
Just about every time I use my snowblower I end up breaking a shear pin. I know objects do cause them to break, however my question is can a shear pin break because it is on too tightly? Should they be put on loose enough so they can turn?

Thanks!
If the shear pin is he type with a nylock nut then I just tighten until it meets the shaft and no tighter. It will not back off.

I have heard that tightening the nut too much can indeed cause some binding (on certain models of blowers) and then the pins snap under lighter stress than designed for.

Some blowers have shear pins that do not have a nut but a bow tie style cotter pin. This allows the shear pin to have a little play and prevent over tightening.

Husqvarna ST330T
post #3 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 08:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Received): 11
For one make sure you use OEM pins and not some other brand. Also tighten to the point where it doesn't rotate and then back it off so slightly that it rotates by hand. There has been instances when the OP snugged it to the point where when the auger had to shear the pin it could not spin free of the shaft and took out the gear case.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 09:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 38
I follow all3939 method, tighten until it touches then back off slightly so it easily turns. I get my shear pins from Amazon. I've bought different ones but generally Stens because of their name. The pin has to be unrated and grooved. The groove has to fit at edge of the auger hole, if too long a pin, the groove won't be in the right spot to break.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-13-2017, 03:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I have an Ariens Sno Thro Compact 24 LE model 920014 Serial number is 135272

The original shear pins lasted since 2013, but since Thursday, I've broken 3. The first one went within a couple of minutes of snow blowing. The second maybe three minutes after that. I replaced both with the pins that come with the snowblower. I kind of guessed on the torque, but I think it was probably between 6 and 12 ft lbs as per the manual. If anything, a bit looser. Are they supposed to seem a bit loose, at least in the shaft? I guess next time I'll leave them just the tiniest bit loose.

Anyone have suggestions as to why the machine suddenly eats shear pins? It's not like I haven't encountered bits of wood and pavement before.

Is it a special phenomenon inside Route 128? ;-)
post #6 of 14 Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 122
Maybe the current shear pins are a bit softer than the ones that were originally installed, for whatever reason?

I have broken a couple seemingly at-random. I've driven into deep, dense snowbanks/EOD, even icy, without breaking anything. But twice, I've broken a pin for reasons I can't explain. I didn't see anything get ingested, and I didn't hear anything. I was just clearing normal snow in my driveway, then noticed that it was "plowing", and figured out that a pin had broken.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Powercurve 1800
post #7 of 14 Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlocnil View Post
I have an Ariens Sno Thro Compact 24 LE model 920014 Serial number is 135272

The original shear pins lasted since 2013, but since Thursday, I've broken 3. The first one went within a couple of minutes of snow blowing. The second maybe three minutes after that. I replaced both with the pins that come with the snowblower. I kind of guessed on the torque, but I think it was probably between 6 and 12 ft lbs as per the manual. If anything, a bit looser. Are they supposed to seem a bit loose, at least in the shaft? I guess next time I'll leave them just the tiniest bit loose.

Anyone have suggestions as to why the machine suddenly eats shear pins? It's not like I haven't encountered bits of wood and pavement before.

Is it a special phenomenon inside Route 128? ;-)
A friend of mine has the same compact 24LE and there having the same issue, it's to the point his wife is having me fix there old MTD because they are so sick of changing pins, hope it gets figured out.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-16-2017, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 21
my shear pins look like this, use them on my Cub Cadet, fit lots of different machines, can be bought many places, fit loose, makes it easy to check rakes haven't rusted to shaft too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cub Cadet shear pins.jpg (32.4 KB, 10 views)
post #9 of 14 Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Maybe the current shear pins are a bit softer than the ones that were originally installed, for whatever reason?

snip
The pins that broke all came with the snowblower. The first two replacements were the ones that came with it, in the clips on top of the gadget that turns the chute. So it's likely that they're exactly the same. I think the problem may be that I tried to torque to the instructions, i.e. 5.8 to 12.2 ft-lbs. I loosened the remaining pin until it just barely moved, and installed a replacement I found locally, also just slightly loose. It's been good for an hour so far.

Now I have a dozen replacements available, so there's no more point in my snowblower breaking pins than there is in it raining when I have an umbrella. ;-) I'm probably safe for the "life" of the snowblower.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-17-2017, 12:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 17
I went thru a streak where I was breaking shear pins one after another blowing 16" deep soft snow. When did it stop? When I ran out of shear pins. So I did the unthinkable and used a zinc bolt to get the job done. I would not recommend anybody doing what I did in my moment of desperation. The next day I secured more shear pins from my local Sears store and switched out the bolt for a proper shear pin. Haven't had a shear pin break since. My guess was that I had a bad batch of shear pins. I tighten my shear pins to the point that there is no play.

Husqvarna ST224P
Ariens ST1332DLE
Craftsman 88190
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page