Ariens Deluxe 28 not running at full throttle - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 12:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 168
Not saying you didn't, but is the throttle turned correctly? I know the new AX/LCT's have a ring below the choke to accomplish throttle position. Maybe turning with gloves, not quite catching right, or turned the wrong way. Just looking for an easy answer for you. High octane gas is to avoid knock/detonation in high compression engines. Some places sell their high octane as the only non ethanol infused fuel so why some buy it. 87 e10 should run perfectly fine in any LCT engine.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks dmm2002 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 64
Higher octane gas isn't harder to burn, it's resistant to pre ignition. Any properly operating ignition system will produce a hot enough spark to ignite any pump gas.

Using anything other then regular (87oct) it's technically a waste because the compression ratio is so low on these small engines that higher octane fuels are not nessesary.

The arguement for higher octane fuels is that they likely have better or more detergents and will age better since octane is lost over time.

As for your running condition. It can't hurt to remove the spark plug and check the gap and inspect for crack in the porcelain. Never know if it was dropped for it was installed. You haven't run it for too long but see if it's wet or fouled.

Honda HSS1328AATD
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite
post #13 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Not saying you didn't, but is the throttle turned correctly? I know the new AX/LCT's have a ring below the choke to accomplish throttle position. Maybe turning with gloves, not quite catching right, or turned the wrong way. Just looking for an easy answer for you.
Just came back after starting it up again, and on pulling off the choke knob to ensure it was seated properly, I found the ring you're referring to. And damned if it wasn't turned all the way down. Cranked it up and off it went. Must have unknowingly turned it down after running it the first time.

Bruised ego aside, finding the problem was my own idiocy is a much easier solution than running back and forth with HD and the local warranty service shop.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Fred9 and RedOctobyr like this.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 06:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 122
Awesome, that's great! I'm glad it was an easy fix. Thank you jtclays, I've never used the newer engines, I had no idea there was a weird throttle setup.

I'd still suggest fuel stabilizer for going forward, though.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Powercurve 1800
post #15 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 95
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 222
Look at it this way, you will never make that mistake again. There are however, about 43 other mistakes that can be made that you haven't yet discovered.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #16 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 08:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Look at it this way, you will never make that mistake again. There are however, about 43 other mistakes that can be made that you haven't yet discovered.
Exactly, like when all the tree hugging, shoveling neighbors are out and you attempt to pull start your shiny gas guzzling beast of a blower several times only to realize the run/off switch is..............definitely off.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-18-2017, 03:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 118
It was a very poor design to have the throttle and choke knobs integrated onto each other like that. I don't like it myself. That and the crappy gas caps were my only 2 complaints.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-18-2017, 10:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 2
For what it's worth, I have a new Ariens 24 Platinum and the design of the throttle "ring" under the choke is not great. I'm also finding the sticker at that location is lifting because of the regular turning of the choke and turning of the throttle ring with gloves on. The machine is a beast and performs great the 1/2 dozen times I've used it over the last couple weeks.

Also, when I was researching which blower to get, I was at a local dealer and talked to a customer who came in to get advice on the exact model I now have that he previously purchased. He said it starts but would not blow snow very much. Both the dealer and myself told him to check the shear pin but after seeing this design, my guess is he didn't have the throttle turned up to full.

Bob

Ariens 24 Platinum model 921050 with Poly Shoes

Sold my 17 yr old John Deere 828D for $300 in Jan 2017
post #19 of 19 Old 02-18-2017, 01:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 95
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Exactly, like when all the tree hugging, shoveling neighbors are out and you attempt to pull start your shiny gas guzzling beast of a blower several times only to realize the run/off switch is..............definitely off.
My on/off switch is a mini rocker, mounted low on the block obscured by cables and handlebars and whatever else they could use to hide it. It has microscopic lettering on it indicating the ON OFF positions. I have to get down on my knees and take my glasses off to peer at that little bugger to make sure its ON. I do seem to remember not checking that once in a while during the first winter. Now i just shut off the fuel valve and let it run out of gas while i sweep the snow off it.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page