Ariens Deluxe 28 not running at full throttle - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-16-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens Deluxe 28 not running at full throttle

First time snowblower owner. Bought an Ariens Deluxe 28 (921030) 2 days ago. Ran fine through clearing the driveway once, yesterday. Added gas (newly purchased, premium, 91 octane) to run it today, and it struggled to start. Then ran at what seemed like half-speed for about 5 minutes, and stalled out.

So I've been reading all sorts of things about ethanol, and fuel stabilizers, and draining gas, and cleaning carbs, and so on, and frankly it all sounds like a pile of hassle for something that was supposed to add convenience, not frustration. Tinkering to make finicky things work drives me batty, and I find myself thinking: if this is nature of the beast I'd rather return the thing and go back to the shovel.

Advice on my (likely?) gas problem is welcome, but more to the point: is owning a snowblower not for me?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-16-2017, 08:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 122
First off, welcome!

Is it a new machine, or used? If new, you shouldn't be having any fuel issues.

Do you get snow? And do you dislike shoveling? If so, then a snowblower is for you

Snowblower engines are pretty low-compression, and do not require high-octane gas. It offers these engines no benefit, and I think I've seen it mentioned that it might actually make them run a bit worse.

If you can siphon the gas out, or drain it, you might try that, then fill it with 87 octane. See if it runs better like that.

As far as preventing fuel issues, I add fuel stabilizer every time I fill my gas can. It's cheap insurance, and easy. I use Sta-Bil brand, I use the Marine version. They have a new "360" product which is supposed to be good. Some people use Star Tron. Fuel stabilizer is an easy and inexpensive way to reduce the risk of fuel issues. I use it all the time, for all my gas equipment, not just for off-season storage. This is definitely a case where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure (hopefully then no need to deal with cleaning carbs, etc).

Machines with engines will all need some amount of maintenance. But fuel stabilizer and an occasional oil change are good places to start. Oil changes can be done with basic tools. Your local repair shop is an option too.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Powercurve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks dmm2002 thanked for this post
post #3 of 19 Old 02-16-2017, 09:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 222
Does your engine respond to the throttle control at all? Are you sure you turned the choke off after it started? If it ran well first time, should run well the second time.

As Red asked, is it new or did you buy it used? If used, how old is it? Assuming that the fuel valve is open, and you opened the choke after it started and the throttle is up full, try loosening the gas cap while its running and see if that makes any difference.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 02-16-2017 at 09:48 PM.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-16-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks to you both. It's new, from Home Depot. Excitement over the new toy quickly turned to frustration at troubleshooting something not even 48 hours old .

On start, the engine was pretty rough. Turning the choke off after 30 seconds or so of that smoothed it out, but it did not ever get "up to speed". The fuel valve was open, and after starting a second time with the same symptoms, closing the fuel valve starved the engine....so it appears both choke and fuel valve are working, at least.

I will try the gas cap, and drain the fuel. Thanks again for both suggestions, and the reassurance that I have a one time learning curve ahead, and not a ongoing source of frustration!
post #5 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 07:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Garage
Here is my 2 cents....First, have you registered it with Ariens yet? They are usually pretty good with support unless of course you ask them about modifications, like me! I read somewhere else on this forum of a guy who bought a new EFI model that would not run right and after a few go arounds with his local shop and Ariens, Ariens replaced the machine for him. That said, the carbureted machines don't have electronics so like the other guys said, since it is a new machine it won't be any other usual suspects, ie. gummed up carb jet or bad plug, (unless the plug somehow got damaged,saw that happen once). So, your best first step is to replace the high octane gas with stabilized 87 octane fuel. also, make sure the plug wire is securely plugged onto the plug, they usually "click" on when properly seated. good luck and I hope it helps! I just got the Deluxe 30 EFI and LOVE it! The EFI makes it so easy to start and the machine ramps up the power so smoothly when it hits a heavy load, and since it is EFI, none of that pesky carb maintenance to worry about!
post #6 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 08:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
I have had the same type of problems on the same machine at times. I was told by ariens engineering that it might be icing of the governor. Sometimes it will lose RPM other times it will bog down when torque is needed. I found shutting it down and coming back in 20 min. and restarting the problem is gone. Mine seems to happen in very cold weather when the snow has been blowing back on the blower.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 09:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 222
Since the machine is new, I would get hold of HD, register a complaint, and do the same at Ariens. Keep a paper trail. It's probably something minor, that just needs finding, but if you cannot find it, then Ariens at least should looking after it under warranty.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #8 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 09:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 17
Higher octane gas is actually harder to burn. Between the gas additives and the 91 octane gas... your snow blower basically ODed and need its stomach pumped. If replacing the tank with 87 octane gas does not resolve your issue, you can always return the blower to Home Depot for a refund or an exchange.

Husqvarna ST224P
Ariens ST1332DLE
Craftsman 88190
post #9 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 24
Garage
I would return it for a refund. ASAP!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 12:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by swcheese View Post
The EFI makes it so easy to start and the machine ramps up the power so smoothly when it hits a heavy load, and since it is EFI, none of that pesky carb maintenance to worry about!
That may be true but since those pesky carbs get plugged up from gas related problems I wonder how the fuel injectors will fare. These are items that sit around for long periods of time without use unlike a car that the gas is constantly replenished. It may be a non issue but I'll sit back and watch to see what happens a few years from now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page