LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
surging, governor? 920014 compact

This is totally subjective, but it seems to me that the engine is surging more than it did last year. Power seems to be adequate, and it always starts right away if I do everything right, but when idling or lightly loaded it seems to surge a lot. The headlight even dims and brightens. Is this normal? If not, is the governor flaky? It seems to me that there's a faint gasoline smell, which I think is stronger when it's on a low setting and idling. I bought the snowblower in 2013, from a Home Despot in Massachusetts. Is there anything easy I can do? Is linkage someplace sticking?

FYI, blower model is 920014 and the engine is a Briggs and Stratton model 130905 (i.e. 130000 series).

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 38
Carb is getting dirty. Put a fuel carb cleaner in each time, most likely after time it will clear up. If you have mixture adjustments you can adjust out, if not don't worry about it.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 06:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 122
As JLawrence08648 said, it's likely a dirty carb. Perhaps the idle jet. You could try turning the choke on by 1 or 2 clicks to see if that helps smooth things out. But that's a band-aid, not really a fix.

I haven't had much luck with putting additives (like Seafoam) in the gas, to gradually clean a carb. I've only really had an improvement when I've finally taken the carb off and cleaned it thoroughly. But it won't hurt to try an additive in the gas as a starting point.

If you don't have the inclination/tools to clean the carb, and it gets bad, and you don't want to take it somewhere to be fixed, you might be able to just buy a replacement carb for cheap online (eBay, etc).

Either way, if you add fuel stabilizer every time you fill your gas can, you can help avoid problems like these in the future.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Powercurve 1800
post #4 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 07:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 8
it appears that there is a fire hazard recall on your snowblower according to consumer reports. org due to a leaking carb. Maybe they will fix or repair it for free.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 07:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 24
All good and accurate answers so far. The only successful repair has been to remove and clean carb. Not a tough job. Fairly simple and about 1/2 hours work. Additives will work as maintenance, not really good at cleaning a dirty carb quickly. Videos available online to aid in the cleaning. even if need to bring to a shop, not very costly, although the good shops are probably busy.

GLuck, Jay
post #6 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 168
Here's a link to check your serial number for the recalled units. Good idea to check your oil for high level if you smell gas. Briggs sometimes have issues with the needle and seat. On those newer designs the carb has a straight run into the block so if the carb is overfilling you can end up with fuel in the oil. Good idea to always shut the fuel off when not in use if it has a valve.
Ariens Company Safety Recalls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page