Snowblower Forum banner

Headlight Addition

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  SHVLHEAD 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a late 70's Ariens 832 (924024) and I would like to add a headlight. I have searched through the forum and havent been able to locate anything that explains the requirements in detail of how to do this. I am kind of a purist freak and would like to convert the unit to how it would come from the factory. The engine(HM80-155128D) looks all original and i am assuming it did not come equipped from the factory with the necessary equipment (flywheel/alternator?). That said, I havent opened her up to take a look either.

What i would like to know is...

1. Can this engine be used?
2. Can it be done simply and or relatively inexpensive? (I am pretty mechanically inclined and have handled a wrench many times)
3. What specifically (parts)do i need to consider to do this?

If anyone has specific part numbers and or pictures of the parts i would need i would appreciate you sharing with me. I am sure i have left out valuable need-to-know info so please feel free to ask

Lastly, i want to thank everyone in advance for your help. If you have responded to any earlier post on any topic, you have helped me out in understanding these great machines.

Stone

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If your engine didn't come with a stator/alternator you'll have little option to power a light other than battery. Simple check is to get the numbers off the actual engine (has nothing to do with the snowblower model numbers). Without numbers off the engine you can look for a black wire with pigtail coming from under the recoil near the fuel tank/electric starter.
You may have the alternator under the flywheel and the wires are hidden. If your engine doesn't have the setup, you have to get the stator/alternator AND the correct flywheel with magnets to create electric power. Often more expensive to do so than getting a newer engine or machine to swap a motor from.

The IPL for your engine shows no electric output but don't know what other flywheel and stator may fit.

#4 ·
Like I mentioned your engine specs don't show the electric output. Similar year models may have what's needed to swap flywheels and stators (expensive and time consuming). If you really want to stay original/stock, a simple clamp on battery fed light may be the best choice. I have a '79, 924 series that I swapped in a 10hp LCT. It has electronics and better all around performance. Sometimes we have to accept the old school design limits:icon-shocked: The tractor/auger and frame are great; the old engines not so much. A hundred replies will say they are the greatest engines ever made, but they have all the parts to continue the legacy. If you have to part price all that is needed to make a light work, you're near buying a complete rebuild of your old engine.

#5 ·
Thanks again jt. After a review of the parts needed, and price, this guy just may go with the simple clamp and battery fed light as you suggest. Who knows, those parts may fall into my lap unexpectedly sometime down the road and I can revisit it then.

Stone

#6 ·
Just watch local adds for a similar blower with bad rust or broken auger gear box. There are many models that came with the light output. You can get them frequently very cheap (like "just need it gone" pricing). Even if the engine doesn't run, it has all the parts you need to make the light circuit. I bought an identical 924038 whole machine to mine just to have parts. Didn't run but for $25 I have likely $600 of parts if bought separately (things like wheels, bolts, belt cover, PTO sheave some NLA from Ariens). Problem is you'll run into other machines you "have to have" and can fix up easy. Then you start hiding things under tarps, claiming you've always had that one, the wife just never noticed it. Family plans an intervention and you end up on medication:tempted:Then you have the full blown addiction.:icon-clapping-smile

#7 ·
If that doesn't work out you could buy a battery tray and mount a lawnmower sized battery to the back side of the bucket. Wire all kinds of lights that you desire. Then purchase a battery tender and plug the battery up between storms. That battery will last you many years if kept on the trickle charger.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this, you can look online (ebay). You need a magneto that had the stator built on. They made them back then, that's why some machine's and minibikes, etc had light's etc. Tecumseh stopped making magneto's with alternators built on them a long time ago and they have been out of business 9 years now. But occasionally you will find someone selling a used magneto with the stator for your HM80 as well as other engine's, sometimes they are in working order, sometimes they are selling them not working as for parts or repair. Either way it's going to be expensive, the last time I checked a magneto with an alternator for an H70, 7hp Tecumseh working was selling for around $150 dollars. You will also have to find the correct flywheel that will work with that magneto, so that's two things you need to make it work. The flywheels that power the alternator magneto's are also hard to find and will be expensive when you find one I would say atleast around $75. So your looking at around $225 not including shipping just for the two parts to power the light. Than you can get a standard modern headlight kit for a snowblower on ebay for $50 bucks. So you will be at around $275. If you want an older style headlight that would have been used on those older machines and matches in good shape, if you can find one, that will probably be about $75 to $100. To install a headlight and make it work the way they did it for those machine's in the 70's your going to be paying around between $275 and $375. Obviously putting a battery on those machines is not ideal and there really isnt any good mounting point without modifying it, which will remove it from being an original machine. I have two 1971 Ariens Sno-Thro's which at that time they did not offer headlights. But I still could have got a magneto with an alternator and the correct flywheel to power it and purchased a headlight to mount on. After looking into it and calculating the cost, I realized it was not worth it. So I went to Lowes and purchased one of those strap on your head LED headlights with 285 Lumens for $30 bucks and now I can see everything clear as day in the dark and the light goes where I go, even if I walk away from my machine. That was the best option. I keep spare batteries with me as the batteries will start to die after 3 hours. I do commercial snow removal and that works great for me. My modern 2002 Snapper 8246 snowblower does have a headlight, but it was down this winter, needed a repair to the frame, so I used both my older Ariens machines commercially with my strap on headlight and I was good to go and I made good money again as well this winter. That's your best bet for light when it comes to those older machine's. But if your willing to spend the money you can add a headlight to your machine. But at that price you can buy another descent used snowblower, maybe 2 possibly even 3 if you were getting good deals on them for the price too add a headlight to that machine.

Reactions: E350
#9 ·
Thanks Bob and Fearless.

Yes, after doing more due diligence it does appear that adding a headlight and staying true to original would in fact cost more than what the unit cost. Now I just need to choose between a unit mounted light and battery or the head strap LED. At least I have some time to think it over...

Thanks all for your replys

Stone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.