Snowblower Forum banner

Ariens Lawn Tractor

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  CO Snow 
#1 ·
This is a Bit OT to the SBF, but had to post this. I picked up a 2014 Ariens Lawn Tractor that the owner said had a transmission problem. Couldn't Believe what I found when I got it home. The Transmission was Made out of PLASTIC! The reason it failed was for That Very Reason; 2 high stress areas broke. There's NO Excuse for that kind of Quality. Period.

#2 ·
Jack...I've gotten TWO Ariens with that same General Transmissions plastic tranny that failed twice...once under warranty and the second time just after warrenty expired. I was able to get a new tranny on e-bay for 250 to fix one of them, but will probably sell the other for parts, or try to adapt a different tranny to it. Poulan and Husqvarna are using that junk tranny in the lower priced models as well.

#3 ·
It is sad..but who is really to blame?
I don't blame the manufacturers, they are only providing what people want to buy..I blame the buying public.

If Ariens/Toro/Deere/MTD etc. *dont* offer a really cheap low-end tractor with plastic gears, the Chinese are happy to do it.
and Walmart/Home Depot/Lowes/Sears are happy to sell them..Which means Ariens/Toro/Deere/MTD etc. would lose a lot of money, and could potentially go out of business if they don't play the low-end game..and there is a LOT of money in that end of the lineup.

Because people want their cheap junk..
90% of buyers don't care about quality..they buy on price only.

If Ariens/Toro/Deere/MTD etc. made only better quality tractors with higher-quality metal gears, and they sold for $1,500 (im just making up numbers for the sake of the argument) and their $1,500 machines are sitting on the Walmart floor next to a $900 piece of junk from China..guess which one sells 9 times out 10?

And, to be fair to the manufacturers, im sure they *Do* say clearly in the owners manuals for these low-end machines are meant to be used to for mowing *only*..they cant tow anything, or plow snow, or do anything except mow..but then do owners push them beyond those limits? of course they do..because they expect the low-end machine they bought to do anything..because that was actually the case 40 and 50 years ago..the bottom-of-the-line tractor in the 60's was still a very robust and quality machine..but no longer..because why? because people demand cheap junk. The manufacturers often must provide it if they want to stay in business.

I blame the buyer for buying a machine based only on price..should have done more research first.
Those buyers are the reason the plastic transmission gears exist in the first place.

I have been mowing the lawn for seven summers now with my $250 1964 Wheel Horse:

53 years old, and working fine.
I bought it on purpose because I knew what it was and what it could still do, even at half a century old.
that's quality! :)

Scot

#6 ·
The Tractor had a Good 21hp engine, seat, deck, and Tires, and Parting it was Plan B. Just Found it Hard to Believe the Transmission was Plastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.