5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 162 Old 12-14-2016, 08:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Im picking up a used 2015 deluxe 28 so I will see how it performs.
rwtrask likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 162 Old 12-19-2016, 09:01 AM

Location: Middlesex County, Massachusetts - about twelve miles north of Boston
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Exclamation Ariens Platinum 24 SHO 286 pounds of junk

Good Morning: Well I have a new 921038 and it runs like a lost puppy. I've checked the tire psi, adjusted the skids and even did the housing thing to no avail. My last Ariens sho 24 had a differential and no issues. My worst enemy is about to get 286 pounds of junk.
post #153 of 162 Old 12-20-2016, 10:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
I understand what Ariens says about tire pressures and to make sure the bucket and skids are adjusted correctly. By adjusting it by the book, your problems are gone.

But back in the real world, my driveway is not perfectly flat in all areas. Mine has repair seams and a few slight ruts that were fixed. My sidewalk has expansion joints which interrupt the smooth flow of me blowing snow.

To magnify the problem, I added the Ariens weight kit to the underside of the shovel. It holds the front down better, but it worsens the auto turn handling. Then my ground speed is on the higher limits so if I catch an expansion joint just right, it throws me into a different direction momentarily.

The solution to this is to create less resistance to the skids. They offer polymer skids that should slip easier going down the driveway.

My solution was to make wheels up front using bearings. This set has been on my machine for 3 years and they still perform like the day I put them on. It tracks straight as an arrow and turns if I push on a handle. The wiper bar inside the shovel never needs adjustment and I don't have any wear items to replace. In addition to these wheels, I press down on the handlebars slightly so the front of the machine floats as I change direction.

It works for me!

rwtrask likes this.

Bob
post #154 of 162 Old 12-24-2016, 04:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlejunkie450 View Post
Today I had the opertunity to try my new ariens with auto turn with the poly skids.they make a whole world of difference in how the machine handled compared to stock skids. I was using one hand alot of times .I dont know why ariens doesn't throw these on all the auto turns out the get go.its like a whole different machine.i was going to put my new. armor skids on but I think I might just wait a while.thanks ariens for the poly skids they made cleaning snow enjoyable.
Do the poly skids help with the auto turn problem in grass too?
rwtrask likes this.
post #155 of 162 Old 01-05-2017, 05:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Good Morning: Before I called them to pick up my new/deficient 921038, I measured and compared everything. Tires were the same diameter, drive axle height and distance to auger face was OK. However, the was about a 1/8 twist in the auger housing to the tractor housing. In order to permanently fix this, one would have to put a shim on the hinge bar, just inside of the tractor housing, along the bottom edge. Doing this would require one to elongate the four mounting holes on each side of the tractor housing so as to assemble both components to each other. I was NOT comfortable doing this, so I called them to come and pick it up. Two days later they came and picked up the 921038 and dropped off a brand new 921050 - without any questions. Bottom line, the drive axle of the 921050 is about a half of an inch closer to the auger face than the 921038 was. Now awaiting some snow to try it out with a new pair of ARMORskids that I just today received.
post #156 of 162 Old 01-05-2017, 12:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwtrask View Post
Good Morning: Before I called them to pick up my new/deficient 921038, I measured and compared everything. Tires were the same diameter, drive axle height and distance to auger face was OK. However, the was about a 1/8 twist in the auger housing to the tractor housing. In order to permanently fix this, one would have to put a shim on the hinge bar, just inside of the tractor housing, along the bottom edge. Doing this would require one to elongate the four mounting holes on each side of the tractor housing so as to assemble both components to each other. I was NOT comfortable doing this, so I called them to come and pick it up. Two days later they came and picked up the 921038 and dropped off a brand new 921050 - without any questions. Bottom line, the drive axle of the 921050 is about a half of an inch closer to the auger face than the 921038 was. Now awaiting some snow to try it out with a new pair of ARMORskids that I just today received.
I'll be interested to hear of your experience with the new machine.

I also bought the Platinum 24 SHO this year (mine's the EFI version - 921053). Your new machine should handle exactly the same as mine.

I've never tried previous versions of Autoturn. But, the version on my 2016/17 machine works beautifully. Couldn't ask for more responsive, precise steering.

The only difference between our machines should be: instead of Armorskids I use the poly skids - a minor difference.

Best of luck with your new toy!
rwtrask likes this.
post #157 of 162 Old 01-06-2017, 12:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks and good luck with yours. I will certainly post an operational update as soon as we get a decent amount of snow. By the way, I've had five Ariens machines since 1980 or so. I always keep them well coated (all over) with a good auto spray wax. Makes it easier to keep em clean and it seems to cut down on rust. This would be my first auto turn machine and I can appreciate that if either of the skids encounters some sort of resistance the machine will turn in that direction. If I had a choice at this moment, I'd rather have one with a push/pull button differential. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
post #158 of 162 Old 01-09-2017, 07:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Update 8 Dec 2017: 6.7" of fluff, new 921050 still digs in on the left side - excessive wear on the left skid. I swapped out the OEM skids for the Armorskids - WOW! It still wiggles a bit, but much better at maneuvering under my control (not the auto turns). I did check this one for a Housing/tractor twist, it's about 1/8" on the left side. If it ever gets above freezing again, I'm going to try to put a 1/16 " shim on that alignment bar and see if it will bolt up without elongating either of the two holes. Note; the drive axial on the 921050 is closer to the housing face by at least half of an inch compared to the 921038. You can feel the difference as you push down on the handle bars- it's easier.
post #159 of 162 Old 01-13-2017, 01:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwtrask View Post
Update 8 Dec 2017: 6.7" of fluff, new 921050 still digs in on the left side - excessive wear on the left skid. I swapped out the OEM skids for the Armorskids - WOW! It still wiggles a bit, but much better at maneuvering under my control (not the auto turns). I did check this one for a Housing/tractor twist, it's about 1/8" on the left side. If it ever gets above freezing again, I'm going to try to put a 1/16 " shim on that alignment bar and see if it will bolt up without elongating either of the two holes. Note; the drive axial on the 921050 is closer to the housing face by at least half of an inch compared to the 921038. You can feel the difference as you push down on the handle bars- it's easier.
If you have 1/8" misalignment on the left side, you may be able to address it by loosening the two housing bolts (just 2 on this version - not 4 as shown in the Ariens video), aligning and retightening. But, perhaps you've already done that.

I've not tried the Armorskids. I had the Ariens poly skids put on mine. I encounter no friction or issues with the poly skids. Smooth and precise steering.

Sounds like the new machine is treating you a lot better than the previous one.
post #160 of 162 Old 01-13-2017, 09:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 3
Bearing wheel modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens hydro pro View Post
I understand what Ariens says about tire pressures and to make sure the bucket and skids are adjusted correctly. By adjusting it by the book, your problems are gone.
The solution to this is to create less resistance to the skids. They offer polymer skids that should slip easier going down the driveway.

My solution was to make wheels up front using bearings. This set has been on my machine for 3 years and they still perform like the day I put them on. It tracks straight as an arrow and turns if I push on a handle. The wiper bar inside the shovel never needs adjustment and I don't have any wear items to replace. In addition to these wheels, I press down on the handlebars slightly so the front of the machine floats as I change direction.

It works for me!

https://youtu.be/VG1giQ0heaY
Very clever solution! I used my Deluxe 28 SHO for the first time last week. It was terrible - apparently not set up properly by the dealer. I made the suggested adjustments from the auto-turn thread and it is 10 times better, but I think your modification would make it even better. Would you provide some details on how to construct and mount the modification?
Thanks,

JiminRI
2015/16 Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page