Can't get the shear pin out... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #1

Default Can't get the shear pin out...

I snapped a shear pin while snowblowing yesterday. But I can't get the thing out. Part of the pin is still inside. The problem is that the holes don't align. So I can't even use a hammer and punch to get it out. How do I get the auger to slide from side to side? I grabbed it and tried it, but couldn't move it.

Oh ya it is an 2004 Ariens 8526

Thanks for any help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #2

It should slide pretty freely back and forth. My guess is when it broke it left a little burr on it. Can you twist it back and forth at all and then slide it? Worst case would be fire up the engine and ram it into a snowbank and maybe that will loosen it up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

I had to use a lot of pressure to just turn the auger so I could even see where the out of line holes where. I had to use a towel and twist it as hard as I could. The shear pin is definately broken. I can't see the nut or the top of the screw. Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy I took out the shear pin on the other side. I can move that side of the auger much easier by hand. There is still some snow inside of the auger. So I was going to get a hair dryer and melt it and see if I can make it work.

But I could not slide it left and right at all.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #4

Default Shear bolts

I had one a while back where the previous owner had used undersized shear bolts (1/4" vs 5/16"). When they sheared it off, it bent the end of the bolt and left a stub that was next to impossible to line up to get out.
I ended up getting one side aligned with the hole in the auger rake and tapped at it with an undersized punch and hammer till it started coming out. The rake actually rotated a little as it worked out.

Only other basic option is to pull the augers out of the housing then pull the rake off so you can get at the broken off pin.

Doesn't sound like fun, good luck.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #5

Still no luck after I melted all of the snow. I was thinking I was going to have to take the augers out of the housing and take the rakes off. But I don't see how to do this in the manual anywhere. With my luck I will start taking it apart and not be able to get it back together. Do you know where I can find the instructions on how to do this. Otherwise I will have to call the local repair shop.

Thanks for you help.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Super Moderator

There's a number of videos on this guy's YouTube channel about augers and such, maybe one of them could help you out.

The Small Engine Doctor - YouTube
Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #7

I finally got it fixed. I figured I would post in case anyone runs into the same problem. I had to have my father in law come up and hold the machine. At the same time I had to twist the auger and pull it to the left at the same time. Took quit a bit of elbow grease to get the holes line up, but it worked. Then I used a hammer and punch to get the broken shear pin out. What a pain.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Whew, glad you got it fixed! Thanks for telling us what you had to do. That's why we're here, to help others with their problems, and your solution just might be what helps somebody else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement