Ariens ST824 - 924050. couple of questions - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #1

Default Ariens ST824 - 924050. couple of questions

Hi there

My name is Dan, i'm from norway. and for about six months ago, i bought myself a good old Snowblower. its from the 80s somwhere, its an ST825 925050 type (serial: 014036) starts easy and look great to be that old.

however, since its old, its inevitable that it has some issues. some i've located and are about to adress.

i have som problems with the propulsion. the fricion disc looks OK. and it binds good when lever is depressed. so the problem was probably with the belts

took the belt cover off, and sure enough. the belt is a bit slack. belt does not look very new, so i'm replacing that. but i also found that the idlerpulley is somwhat sloppy aswell. trying to getahold of parts. but almost impossible to get good help here in norway for this issue

looks like i need a new spring for the idler pulley tension and a new idlerpulley and belt. found a company online who has most of what i need (they don't answer my requests, **** them)

all these are easy fixes, new belts, both idlers and a new idler tension spring, and i think i've sorted the propulsion problem.

however, the main reason for me to sign up here and ask question is this:

I've got some problems with throttle linkages. the spring that sits on the top of the butterfly valve keeps popping of, and the blower starts revving like crazy. i reset the spring. and then it pops of again. is this spring available for me to buy somwhere? or do i need to get a replament carb?

and, my throttle cable gets stuck whenever its cold. so i've taken that of to properly dry it (should be replaced, but can't find it anywhere)

and in the process of taking of the cable, i kinda broke the mounting that the cable sleeve sits in under the throttle arm on the control console.

all in all, i chose to buy a good used Ariens blower isntead of these cheap china blowers that infest the markets around here. i rather buy good old quality that i can possibly get new parts for, then a china model which you can't get any spare parts for

sorry if this became a long post. but i'm kinda lost here right now. its in the middle of the season, and i want it to work right (i've gotten allergic to the showel now)

Thanks a bunch for any replys. i can take som pictures if you want to see aswell

Dan

Edit: don't mind my typos here and there. english isn't my daily language

Last edited by Housey; 02-15-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #2

here is some photos i just took

this is the throttle lever which i kinda broka

this is the spring that keeps popping of. making the blower run crazy

overview of the carb

bad pic of the whole blower

controlpanel. or whatever you want to call it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

hello dan, welcome to SBF. someone will be here shortly that can help
1-toro 521E-38052 . 2-toro 521r -38052
1-toro 826E-38150 . 1- powerliteE-38175
1-............, TORO XL 824..............
william
Old 03-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #4

Dan,
From your pictures, I'd say your and mine are pretty much the same.
Did you ever resolve your issues and get your 924050 up and running again.
I am having problems with mine right now. From what I read on this forum, it should be well worth trying to repair or rebuild.
Ha en bra dag og lev lurt!
Roar
Old 03-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #5

Welcome Dan, and with your issue of the print popping off, it would appear that the control surface that the spring attaches to, is bent or loose. The acceleration of the engine after it dislodges, as you describe, sounds like the governor linkage is the culprit. A simple "readjustment" of the end of the governor rod with a pair of needle nose pliers should resolve this problem.

In your second picture, there is a spring that wraps around the butterfly shaft, to assist it into the open(high) throttle position. I can not tell from your picture if it is out of position.

You may be able to straighten/retighten this, but this depends on your ability to turn a wrench and in this case use a hammer.

Insofar as replacing the carb, I'd say that a good cleaning, and address the minor issue and you might be able to get away with a low cost fix.

Good luck, we are all here for you. And don't worry about the language barrier. Modern technology has blessed us with a multitude of translating programs, that are always good for a laugh.

Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.

Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.

Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #6

db9938,
I don't know if it is O. K. to hijack this thread, but it seems Dan is not on here any more, and the thread seems like a good fit. His blower is the same model as mine based on his pictures. Like Dan, I am Norwegian also, but I have lived in Michigan for half a century now.
RedOctobyr sent me a link to a Tecumseh manual, but none of the pictures there show the type of governor/carburetor linkage Dan and I have, so I am still unsure why mine does not work as intended.
As I am new here, I have taken the time to read quite a few of the threads, and with all the dissatisfaction and issues with the newer Ariens models, I am going to try to see if I can get my, probably tenty-some years, old blower up and running like it should. That includes the starter, that no longer wants to engage. If successful, I'll have a well proven model working, and I'll have saved a few of my social security dollars.
Roar
Old 03-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #7

Roar, sorry I had not realized that his post was as old as it was.

That said, I'd say that forum decorum would probably deem it as an abandoned thread, and as such is fair game.

And I am not Norwegian.

My guess is, and this is without seeing the machine nor hearing about the symptoms, is that your machine may need a carb cleaning and/or rebuild. But this is purely a stab in the dark here.

Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.

Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.

Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
db9938,
I don't know if it is O. K. to hijack this thread, but it seems Dan is not on here any more, and the thread seems like a good fit. His blower is the same model as mine based on his pictures. Like Dan, I am Norwegian also, but I have lived in Michigan for half a century now.
RedOctobyr sent me a link to a Tecumseh manual, but none of the pictures there show the type of governor/carburetor linkage Dan and I have, so I am still unsure why mine does not work as intended.
As I am new here, I have taken the time to read quite a few of the threads, and with all the dissatisfaction and issues with the newer Ariens models, I am going to try to see if I can get my, probably tenty-some years, old blower up and running like it should. That includes the starter, that no longer wants to engage. If successful, I'll have a well proven model working, and I'll have saved a few of my social security dollars.
Roar
Hi Roar. Don't know if it would help or not, but there's a YouTube video on your machine - rebuilding carb. May be worth your while to see if it has any info you need.
Dennis

Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
db9938, RedOctobyr sent me a link to a Tecumseh manual, but none of the pictures there show the type of governor/carburetor linkage Dan and I have, so I am still unsure why mine does not work as intended.
Roar
Right after I posted the last message, I got to thinking, I have an illistrated parts breakdown of a Tecumseh model HS50-67304J. It shows all the parts of the engine, including the govenor parts.
I can send the file to you if you will give me your email address i.e. name<at>anywhere<dot>com (to prevent it from being grabbed from the harvestors).
Dennis
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #10

Thank you db9938 and enigma-2!
By the way, I like the music of "Enigma".
My problem, I think, lies in the linkages and governor, - may be it is with one or more of the springs.
I am not saying that the carburetor could not use a cleaning, but the engine runs
O. K., but it will not hold constant speed when load is applied.
I have looked at governor/carburetor linkage pictures from manuals, but none of the ones I have seen look quite like mine and Dan's. One problem is that with this version, the plate to which the throttle cable and some of the mechanism is mounted, covers the carburetor, the linkages and the mechanism on the underside of it. I was thinking about taking the plate off and try to make a drawing or a picture of the underside, but that's for another day.
Roar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement