Chute Control Cable Freeze Up - Page 5 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #41

Put the machine in the service position. Look where the shaft enters the bushing, look for the white grommet around the pushing and the inverted star retainer. If you don't see the retainer it is missing. Gotta fix that before you can do anything else. If the bushing/white grommet/retainer is all there then that's great.

Next while in the service position look at the cable and the adjusting nuts. You need to get every bit of slack out that you can. It is supposed to lift up all by itself when you move the handle.

Are you getting a full 110 degree chute rotation both counterclockwise and clockwise?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 12:17 AM   #42

Here is a link of some of what I had to do. It has photos of the bushing/grommet.

My thanks to all the guys that helped me through the issues.

Pro 28 Chute Adjustments Question

Last edited by docfletcher; 02-17-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #43

Well, it is interesting to see other problems with the chute control. I have now gone thru 3 storms since everything was replaced and the blower has worked perfectly. I wish I could say I have complete confidence that the problem will not reoccur but I don't. If I had not got mad at the dealer they would have done nothing. I bought from an Ariens dealer because I thought they would provide better service but their interest in my problem was not very high. It seems fixed and the blower does a great job but it has left a sour taste. One of the reasons I picked the Platinum series was the chute control. I would no longer recommend that series and would go with something that was not so "sophisticated" for turning the chute. Manual crank seems more reliable.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #44

Well, Skybar, You story is allot like mine. I had a several issues with mine. One of the worst was when the retainer came off the bushing and the dealer fixed it but put the hex bar in backwards. I fixed it myself and told them what they did. They looked at me like I was from Mars and were quick to tell me that it is supposed to be the way they did it. That I was wrong to turn it around. Glad to hear it is working for you though. You might want to just check for that retainer though.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfletcher View Post
Put the machine in the service position. Look where the shaft enters the bushing, look for the white grommet around the pushing and the inverted star retainer. If you don't see the retainer it is missing. Gotta fix that before you can do anything else. If the bushing/white grommet/retainer is all there then that's great.

Next while in the service position look at the cable and the adjusting nuts. You need to get every bit of slack out that you can. It is supposed to lift up all by itself when you move the handle.

Are you getting a full 110 degree chute rotation both counterclockwise and clockwise?
Thanks, I'll take a look later in the week. It seems I get more rotation to the left than the right. It feels like I'm getting some kind of resistance as it gets to the end of travel to the right. More like 90 degrees to the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybar View Post
One of the reasons I picked the Platinum series was the chute control. I would no longer recommend that series and would go with something that was not so "sophisticated" for turning the chute. Manual crank seems more reliable.
Also one of the reasons I picked the Platinum. I would have went with the manual crank if the handle was in the control area and not in front, not a very convenient location when you have a cab. I've got to say I could have cared less about the heated grips until I used them a few times. The chute rotation design is lacking in my opinion, the Husqvarna I tried before I bought the Ariens had a better response. I knew I would have to get out the wrenches eventually but wasn't (and shouldn't have to be) expecting this soon. The dealer was a real joke, apparently Ariens needs a better way of vetting their dealers.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #46

I hear you loud and clear as I had the same dealer issues. The same chute rotation issue, full travel left but not to the right. I'll link you a thread on the fix for that and the guys that brought the fix to my attention..
Old 02-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #47

Here is the link. The first parts of the thread are figuring out what was going on with my chute hex rod, which had be steaming mad. Turns out dealer had it in backwards. The rest of the thread is on full rotation fix.

Sorry the 1st link posted shows the fix and this link shows the modified grommet in one of the photos. Some photos are no longer active but the grommet one is.

Ariens Pro 28 Rack & Pinion

Last edited by docfletcher; 02-17-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #48

Thanks, I considered the grommet may relieve the issue although I've got to wonder what the real problem is. They've obviously made a lot of these so if there was a defect you would think it would be apparent in a number of them followed by a number of complaints. Anyway, looks like I've got some more "playing" to do this weekend. Supposed to be warmer so I can take more time without freezing the giblets like this past weekend.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #49

I've been told the grommet hole in the dashboard is off by 3/8" and the bottom of the handle is a little to fat.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #50

3/8"?! I wonder how they managed that, I'm not looking at it but I'm guessing it's a stamped sheet metal part. It would have to be a tooling error that they must have stamped a few, figured out there was an issue and let the ones done go until they corrected it. Lucky us to get the rejects! Well I guess they didn't reject it in the end, the bottom line prevailed once again.
Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement