Just Ordered Ariens EFI - Platinum 24 SHO - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 96 Old 08-08-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 16
Talking Just Ordered Ariens EFI - Platinum 24 SHO

Hi All. I'm new to the forum. It's great to find this site - clearly a LOT of knowledgeable people here.

I just ordered the Ariens Platinum 24 SHO EFI from my local Ariens dealer. He said it should arrive in about 2 weeks (much earlier than the mid-October date specified in Ariens' press conference).

I originally called 4 local dealers and all told me they wouldn't carry EFI models this year. Reason: "It's new technology. We'll let them work-out the bugs first." Finally, one dealer agreed to order one for me.

I'm not a gear-head, like a lot of forum members here. But, I'm fairly sure EFI isn't experimental technology, even on small machines (some chain saws have it, and other Ariens landscape products have used it for years). Not sure why these dealers are so apprehensive.

Initially, I had decided upon the Toro PowerMax 1028, based upon Paul Sikkema's review on "Movingsnow.com", and comments here. Toro appears to have the best chute system in the business, and I like the light, robust Sub-Zero material they use.

But, Ariens' EFI swayed me. Also, I like the idea of no triggers (Auto-Turn), and Ariens' big power on this unit.

The notion of never having to worry about ethanol gas and carburetors again is enticing - especially for someone like me who doesn't work on engines. Once I receive the unit, I'll try to post a decent review. I'm not a gear head (no training), but I love gear.

Last edited by Strato; 08-08-2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes SAVAGE420, Hanky, scrappy liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 08-08-2016, 04:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 84
Thanks (Received): 210
Likes (Given): 264
Likes (Received): 308
Welcome to the forum Strato....!

Congrats on the new machine......!!! I personally think you'll be happy with it.
I think a lot of us would like to see a review on it and follow up updates through the coming winter.
post #3 of 96 Old 08-08-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, hsblowersfan!

I'll do my best to provide a good review. I don't have the technical savvy of many folks on this forum.

But, I love machinery, and pay close attention to details.

My current machine is a 10 HP Yard Machines - about 10 years old. It's powerful, but a beast to maneuver. Also, the crank is punishing (placed low, and requires many turns).

I expect the Platinum 24 SHO EFI to be a different experience.

My secret agenda is to have a machine my wife can use.
post #4 of 96 Old 08-08-2016, 05:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 379
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 212
Likes (Received): 443
ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 96 Old 08-08-2016, 06:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 36
"My secret agenda is to have a machine my wife can use. "

Good Luck with that!
post #6 of 96 Old 08-08-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks!

I've explained to her that snow blowing is oodles of fun - like having coffee with girlfriends.

The looks I've gotten suggest my pitch needs work.
post #7 of 96 Old 08-08-2016, 09:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 84
Thanks (Received): 210
Likes (Given): 264
Likes (Received): 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato View Post
My secret agenda is to have a machine my wife can use.
Hey, we have a member who was really disappointed of the fact that he got home after a snow storm (hoping to use his new snowblower) and found out that his wife beat him to it and his driveway was already cleaned out. So you never know.....it may happen.....
post #8 of 96 Old 08-08-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
If that happened to me, not sure if I'd be overjoyed, or depressed.

Yet, given what I know of my beloved wife, chances are slim. Still, that's one reason I went with the Platinum 24 instead of the Deluxe 30, for the EFI. There's a SLIM chance my wife can cope with a 24" machine.

I kinda hoped that Ariens would give the EFI treatment this year to the Deluxe 28 SHO. That seems to be the most popular Ariens machine on this site. I wouldn't mind a slightly larger bucket than the 24" on the Platinum SHO 24.

But, Ariens knows they'll sell a boatload of the Deluxe 30 EFI's through Home Depot. So I suppose it makes sense, financially.

The Deluxe 30 just seemed a bit too big and cumbersome. Also, I like the bigger 369 cc engine on the Platinum series.
post #9 of 96 Old 08-08-2016, 11:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Congrats on the new SB. Sounds like you were in the same boat as me. I read the reviews on movingsnow.com and have been seriously considering the Toro power max hd 1028. Then I saw the product launch videos for the new Ariens Platinum 24 EFI machines and have been going back and forth between which to get. Size wise, the 24 inch bucket should be plenty for me, and I do like the idea of the EFI. I am a little hesitant about the auto turn. Sounds like the majority like it, but some complain about it taking more effort to keep it straight. If I go with the Ariens, I will probably give the poly skids a try to help with the steering. I have also read some complaints about the gas tank on the previous Ariens, but maybe that has been improved with the new EFI machines.

If you don't mind me asking, did you pay $1800? In the product launch video, they stated it would be a 300 price increase for the EFI models, but I haven't seen any official pricing numbers.

Also, did your dealer mention anything about the battery? The product launch video said that the EFI machine will require a small battery, which should last a couple years. To me, that really isn't a long time, so I just wonder what a new battery will run and if it will really need replaced every couple seasons.

Even with some of my concerns, the Ariens does look really sweet. Please post some pics or even videos when you get your machine!
post #10 of 96 Old 08-09-2016, 07:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 193
Strato,

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato View Post
I originally called 4 local dealers and all told me they wouldn't carry EFI models this year. Reason: "It's new technology. We'll let them work-out the bugs first." Finally, one dealer agreed to order one for me.

I'm not a gear-head, like a lot of forum members here. But, I'm fairly sure EFI isn't experimental technology, even on small machines (some chain saws have it, and other Ariens landscape products have used it for years). Not sure why these dealers are so apprehensive.
CHANGE IS BAD

CHANGE IS BAD

CHANGE IS BAD

Just keep repeating the above until you believe it, then you'll understand their perspective.

Kidding aside, if the machine were some off-brand model, EFI might concern me. But with Ariens' reputation for quality, I've got to think they've engineered and tested the daylights out of that system and there's probably very little to worry about.

~1988 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored!
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page