Bobcat 724 found locally - Any thoughts on it ? - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 08-12-2016, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 41
"the drive sprocket is tiny(8 tooth?)"

the smaller the sprocket the faster it wears out the chain too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 08-12-2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 80
I'll cross it off my list then, I'd rather have a reliable, effective, and easy to repair blower than a conversation piece.

In a way, after dwelling on it for a while, I was rather relieved he sold it.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-11-2016, 01:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post
In my opinion,they are LESS so than other vintage snowblowers.I've owned two Bobcats,had the use of a newer unit, and wouldn't take the gift of another.They are VERY over-complicated machines and parts,when they can be found,are very expensive.Their level of performance can easily be matched by many other vintage or modern blowers that are much easier and cheaper to maintain and far more reliable.

I will say that the newer models like the OP was looking into,are better engineered than the older models I had.I believe the newer ones used COMMON belts you can buy anywhere-mine used that rare,odd,skinny sucker that costs a king's fortune,and wears quickly.

The weak point of all Bobcats is the chain-driven auger.The driven sprocket on the auger is large and rather robust,but the drive sprocket is tiny(8 tooth?) and they wear incredibly fast if you don't lubricate them constantly.The original sprockets were very well hardened but supplies of the original sprocket/shaft assemblies have dried up.There are guys out there making them,but they aren't hardened well after the welding process and they wear quickly-lubed or not.

I purchased one from a fellow on the net and the sprocket was shot after just a few storms.The assembly is easy to make,but knowing how to properly re-harden the sprocket after welding is another story.

What is recommended for lubricating the chain auger and sprocket on the BobCat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #14 of 16 Old 11-12-2016, 04:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecraigers91 View Post
Whatever lube is put on the chain and sprockets,is not going to stay there.The chain cover is not sealed and snow very readily makes its way inside eventually packing the case full.This is the reason the chain and sprockets fail rather quickly if you don't check the lubrication often.

Oil of any kind is useless.I wound up using a good semi-synthetic grease that didn't harden in the cold.Figuring out a way to seal that chaincase where it runs along the side of the hopper would be the thing to do.I went one step further and just got rid of the Bobcat,as I've stated before,I wasn't too impressed with it.
thecraigers91 likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-03-2016, 10:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecraigers91 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've had a 5/20 BobCat for more than 20yrs. While Long Island doesn't get the snow fall that the northern U.S. does I've found that the BobCat is built like a tank as compared to the other brands available all of which appear to use variations of the same design. The most outstanding feature that I have noticed is that my machine is it will throw wet snow, and even slush without clogging. This is a quality that I haven't as yet found in any other machine. In all the time that I've had my machine the only part that NEEDED to be replaced is the belts. It still has the original auger drive sprocket. I lube the chain every year with motorcycle chain lube and oil all of the points as recommended in the OEM manual. A few years ago I decided to replace the old flat head Briggs with a new OHV Briggs. The swap worked out better than I had hoped for, the new motor has much more power, and operates and idles far better than the old one. If today I could a better performing machine for the area that I live I'd buy it...but so far I haven't seen it.
wdb and thecraigers91 like this.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks thecraigers91 thanked for this post
post #16 of 16 Old 01-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
My Dad bought a Bobcat in the fall of '62. I don't think it was any more than 5HP and maybe less than 24' width. It handled every winter in Watertown , NY till he retired and had a service do the snow removal. The times that I used it it had more than enough power to handle the 16" plus snowfalls. The only Bobcat that I have ever seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page