Looking for help. Scag hydro walk behind - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-05-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Looking for help. Scag hydro walk behind

If this is not appropriate to post here let me know.

I bought a used scag 36" hydro walk behind. Someone put a Kawasaki 12.5 HP engine (FB460) to replace the original Kawasaki 14 hp but the job was not complete. The engine is already in place and it runs fine. The wires are not connected.

Here are my questions
1. I found only one wire coming out of the engine. It turned my test light on when connected to it. Is this the kill wire also? Can I ground this wire to kill the engine?
2. The mower has a electrical PTO. When I connect the two wires from the PTO to a car battery it engages but I can still turn the pulley with my hand. It is tight but can still be turned. Is this normal or does it need to be replaced?
3. When I connec the PTO to the engine wire I mentioned previously, it does not engage. Does it mean the engine does not generate enough current?

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-05-2016, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 392
Thanks (Received): 453
Likes (Given): 2523
Likes (Received): 857
With the battery hooked up to the PTO and engaged you shouldn't be able to get the pulley to slip. If you're turning the pulley the crankshaft should be locked to it.

Might need to adjust the air gap of the PTO clutch.
That FB460 is a common JD rider engine (I have one in the JD 160) so you might want to try MTF as the folks there would be more familiar with the engine.

Tractor Forum : MyTractorForum.Com Tractor Forums

What color is the wire coming off the engine ??
The engine should have enough current to power the PTO and charge a battery. It should have a regulator mounted somewhere on the Scag. Does the Scag have a mount for the battery ??

You may need to pull the flywheel off but there should be a kill wire and a charging wire.
The kill wire is external of the flywheel and once you pull the shroud you can see it attached to the coil. The charging lead will be coming from under the flywheel.

On the JD riders there was a "fix" for the starter not working/engaging properly. Due to the length of wire and the safeties you install a relay at the starter solenoid so the solenoid gets a stronger jolt of voltage and better operates the starter.
If you find you're hitting the key to start it a number of time to get it to kick in it's now a bad starter or low battery, might need the relay.

I just used a generic relay like for fog lights and my own wire. JD want's up to $200 to "fix" the problem at the dealer.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/215-jo...lem-fix-4.html

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-05-2016 at 07:48 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-05-2016, 07:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 539
Here is where you want to go. Our parent forum. Walk Behind Mowers - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.

Toro 5/21
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24
Old green plastic snow shovel
Old quarry shovel for ice.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
This is how my leads are.

post #5 of 9 Old 03-06-2016, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I registered but never got the activation email. I have contacted the forum. Hopefully they will resent.

My mower does not have a battery. It is a pull start version. I am just worried that engine does not generate enough current to engage the PTO without a battery.

The wire I found is white.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
To the best of my knowledge I'm pretty sure you need a battery for the PTO to work properly. I'm basing that on the fact I haven't seen any rider with an electric PTO that didn't' have a battery. If you were to idle it down I'm sure even if the charging system could run it at WOT the PTO would start slipping and drop out if you tried to idle it down with the PTO engaged.

The pull start or electric doesn't make a difference other than a pull start model might not have, or might not have as big a charging system installed due to the pull start engines original application. Do you know what that engine came off of ??

Have you tried to pull the shroud off the engine to see if your one wire goes to the coil yet ??

post #7 of 9 Old 03-06-2016, 04:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 87
Thanks (Received): 221
Likes (Given): 271
Likes (Received): 320
Maybe you can find the manual here and it may have an answer for you ?

Scag SWZ - Operators Manuals and Parts Lists - Scag Power Equipment
post #8 of 9 Old 03-06-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you for all the information. Appreciated.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-07-2016, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I found that many mowers have electrical PTO but do not have a battery. The power from the engine goes through a regulator/capacitor first before reaching the clutch.

The only wire from a pull start Kawasaki 12.5 HP engine looks like this( I still don't know how to insert an image in here). I think the wire goes to the engine switch to be grounded has voltage.

Last edited by bcjm; 03-07-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page