Snowblower won't start after carburetor cleaning - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-30-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Snowblower won't start after carburetor cleaning

I'm getting my 29" 9.0 HP snowblower (model 536.887995) ready for the winter. I changed the oil and spark plug and it starts up fine, but it runs a little rough; surging constantly. I figured the carburetor probably needed cleaned so i took it off and cleaned it with some carb cleaner. I took the main jet out and cleaned the ports with a small wire. The gaskets look good and I put it back together (no parts left over!) but now i'm having trouble starting the engine. I used the prime button but it didn't sound like gas was going into the carburetor. i pushed the prime button several times and it sounded like some went in and the engine started for a second and quickly turned off. When i primed it a few times again it would start, but again only run for a second or two. Any idea what i could do to troubleshoot it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-31-2016, 01:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Top off the tank?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 12-31-2016, 08:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
It was running before the carb work so you can assume it's a fuel supply problem. The needle valve may be stuck closed, not allowing fuel to enter the bowl. Or, it may have flooded. Remove the plug first, dry it, replace it and pull the engine over by hand a few times. Pull the plug and see if its wet. If it is dry try a shot of carb cleaner and see if you can get her going. The vacuum created by a running engine is sometimes enough to get fuel draw back. If no luck, then you will have to go back into the carb. Also, make sure you remembered to open the fuel shutoff valve after your repair. We've all made that mistake. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow

Last edited by motorhead64; 12-31-2016 at 08:09 AM.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-02-2017, 04:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 4
Yeah, sounds like you moved some dirt around but left it in there, or the float is stuck...

1987 Craftsman Mod.C950528108 10/28...Techumseh Engine

2007 Honda HS1132...GX340 Honda (Neighbor's)
post #5 of 7 Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I just cleaned my carb for the first time ever. Here's what I screwed up putting it back together. My engine is a Tecumseh 9hp on a Craftsman snow blower. I took it apart and cleaned what I thought was every thing that needed to be cleaned. However, I didn't know to really clean the bolt/jet that held the fuel bowl on, and when I put it back together I didn't locate the indent on the fuel bowl with the float profile. Also, I had to readjust the float level because it was not sitting level to the carb base.
After I took it apart and put it back on probably 3 times, I watched a few videos on it and realized my mistake, when I fixed it this last time, I made sure to fix everything that I screwed up. It worked great after that.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2017, 02:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Nice job,oremet. When the season is over, put some fuel conditioner (sta-bil is one brand) in the tank, shut off the fuel valve, and run your engine til it quits. You'll be all set for next year. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #7 of 7 Old 01-06-2017, 03:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 263
drop the bowl off quick and see if it took on any fuel (be sure no gunk in it). then make sure the float and needle are operating smoothly...... gotta be pretty something pretty simple I would think. Did you remove any ground wire or something when you removed the carb cover/shroud? Check that the key is in and it's not grounded somehow

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page