post #21 of 31 Old 01-05-2017, 11:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Garage
Availability is what I hope changes.

Craftsman being a Stanley Black and Decker line may improve their availability. Craftsman tools were sold at so few retailers that I'd buy other tools to save the extra trip to Sears.

If the warranty stays the same I'd rather have Craftsman hand tools than Cobalt, Husky or any of the other readily available consumer grade tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 01-06-2017, 10:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 264
It never made any sense when one dying company bought out the other..... (Sears merge with Kmart). There was nothing to be gained by it other than a bunch of debt accrued under one roof with 2 names. Cross branding things has never panned out for the long term. The only gainers were the big dogs and lawyers doing the merger paper work. Poor management has killed 2 of the greatest companies in one fatal swoop. Sears in particular had a long tradition of great products and excellent customer support - they really went down hill fast. The bigger you get - the harder it is to keep costs under control without rock solid management, and they blew it! Big time. Sad to see them go.......

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 31 Old 01-06-2017, 11:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 21
My father was a builder, and swore by Craftsman. Our basement was filled with it.

Craftsman hand-tools still look pretty solid, and the prices are reasonable (for non-pro's).

I recently bought a collection of Husky hand-tools at Home Depot. I can't say if Husky is <> or = to Craftsman.

But, the Husky tools are surprisingly nice - strong, with smooth ratchets, and well-finished metal-work. My guess is that Craftsman, Husky and Cobalt will compete for the same customer.

I wonder how much of the $900 million purchase price of Craftsman reflects hard assets, vs. "good will" of the Craftsman name.
post #24 of 31 Old 01-06-2017, 12:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
As with anything, Craftsman is just a brand. Different suppliers and manufacturers produce various brands. I don't think you'll see any change to the Craftsman snowblower products, at least in the short term. Stanley/B&D does not manufacture those any more than Sears did. They will continue to rely on their various supplier and assembly agreements to produce those products, and we consumers won't notice the difference. They just won't be sold at Sears stores (because none will be left).
post #25 of 31 Old 01-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 215
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 409
Craftsman snowblowers haven't joined the ranks of the 100% Made in China brands..yet.
But Stanley has:

"Made in the USA" versus "Made in China"

36 inch Stanley already BROKEN :(

Which does not bode well for the Craftsman snowblower line.
I predict only a continuation of the downward trend in quality.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #26 of 31 Old 01-06-2017, 01:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Craftsman snowblowers haven't joined the ranks of the 100% Made in China brands..yet.
But Stanley has:

"Made in the USA" versus "Made in China"

Which does not bode well for the Craftsman snowblower line.
I predict only a continuation of the downward trend in quality.

Scot
Intersting. I didn't even know that Stanley offered snowblowers. I'm guessing it's a MTD machine?

Based upon what I've read on this forum, it seems that Craftsman blowers are relatively decent for a mid-priced machine. Aren't they also made by MTD?

As you indicated, neither Sears or B&D manufactures blowers. Provided B&D maintains the current quality and price from MTD, the blowers should be fine.

Sears is such a "down" experience these days, at least in my region, due to the run-down stores. Just getting Craftsman out of the depressing environment should, I imagine, help the brand profile.
post #27 of 31 Old 01-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato View Post
Intersting. I didn't even know that Stanley offered snowblowers. I'm guessing it's a MTD machine?
No, the Stanley is not a MTD, it is one of the "100% Made in China" brands, new ones appear each year..
here is the latest update from the "Made in the USA" versus "Made in China" link I posted above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Updated list!
the Chinese brand names are getting so numerous, I have now put them in alphabetical order!
Below is copied and pasted from previous posts, with updated names:

Updated list..some new 100% Chinese brand names have come to light..
List as of December 2016:

Snowblower bodies still made in the USA (everything except the engine):
All Ariens and Ariens Sno-Tek.
All Briggs & Stratton, Snapper, Simplicity, Brute, Murray.
Probably all Husquvarna/Poulan.

Most MTD's still made in the USA, although perhaps not all.. I believe MTD might be importing some 100% Chinese models for their really low end..Or brands like Craftsman is importing them, not MTD..its hard to know for sure what it going on..its best IMO to just avoid MTD names all together. (MTD, Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard-machines, Yardman, most Craftsman)

Toro moved 2-stage snowblower production to Mexico in 2013.
Toro now has (as of 2014 model year) snowblower bodies made in Mexico, with engines made in China. No Toro 2-stage snowblowers are made in the USA anymore. (all 2-stage snowblower engines, on all brands except Honda, are now made in China.)

If you want a 100% Made in the USA snowblower, the entire unit, the snowblower and the engine both, there is one remaining choice..
Honda! (single-stage only)
Here is the update on Honda for 2016:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
If you want to add Honda:

All Honda single-stage machines (3 models) are 100% manufactured (including the engine) at Honda's plant in Swepsonville, NC
Honda 2-stages machines (10 models) are also made there, but the engines are built at a Honda plant in Thailand.
All snow blowers built at the Honda plant in Swepsonville are further exported to Canada, Europe, and the U.K.
Honda single-stage snow blowers are the only ones sold in the USA that are 100% made in the USA
Honda snow engines are only available on a Honda snow blower. Honda does not sell their snow engines to any other manufacturer.
And below are the known brand names that are 100% made in China..these machines should be avoided at all costs!
never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never
never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never buy one of these:

Amico
Beast (Home Depot)
DEK (Sears)
Echelon
GXi Outdoor Power
Huskee
Jet Moto
Mansfield
Powerland
Power Smart
PowRcraft
Pow'R'kraft
Snow Beast (Home Depot)
Snow Joe
Stanley
Sunsay
Tao
Tao Tao
World Lawn
Visita
Yardmax
Yongkang
Yongkang Visita

There are probably more..
(many of those brands also make mowers and other products..I wouldnt buy anything made those brands)
never never never buy one of these! Here is some reading about the quality you can expect if you do:

New Stanley 36" Commerical Two Stage

Amazon customer reviews of a powerland model:

And Amazon customer reviews of Stanley model..there is ONE 5-star review, from the manufacturer!
and four 1-star reviews, from actual owners of the machine:
http://tinyurl.com/luf2c24
(update, Amazon removed the 5-star review that was from the manufacturer! good for them..now only real customer reviews remain.)

Scot
Quote from thread: "Made in the USA" versus "Made in China"

scot

post #29 of 31 Old 01-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
ok, well that says nothing!
but it was nice of him to write. (or, more accurately, it was nice of him to have his automated email program send a reply for him!

Scot

post #30 of 31 Old 01-07-2017, 05:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 23
Better stay away from Dewalt tools because B&D own them too.( and Delta and Devilbiss)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page