post #1 of 7 Old 04-28-2017, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Erv

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Cub Cadet 265 Snowblower

New to the site and I am wondering if a Cub Cadet 265 with a manufacturing date of 1980 was made by IH or was it an MTD or other name brand with just the IH paint and logo's? I figured some more knowledgeable people on this site could help me out. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-28-2017, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 218
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 416
Erv,
I already answered your question in your other post! I'll repeat it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
There could be more than one Cub Cadet 265, but if its the same as this one:

International Cadet 265 problems

Then it's made by Ariens.

Im not 100% sure, but I dont believe that IH *ever* made their own walk-behind snowblowers..they were likely always farmed out to another manufacturer to build, then the Cub Cadet name was put on them. Ariens might have been the first to make Cub Cadet snowblowers, starting in the early 70's most likely. All the rest are most likely MTD.

IH probably did make the garden-tractor mounted snowblowers, to go with the Cub Cadet tractors.

Scot

Although 1980 throws off the Ariens theory..
An Ariens-built Cub probably wouldnt be any later than 1974 or 1975.
How do you know its 1980?
Can you post a photo of the snowblower?

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-28-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Erv

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Cub Cadet 265

sscotsman, Thanks for the reply. As far as the date 1980, I have no proof, just what I was told by the seller as I was looking to buy this snow blower. With the information you posted, I am
gonna pass on it. I knew IH made pretty solid stuff in the 60's and 70's, some 80's but later cub cadet isn't that way and I wasn't even sure IH made snow blowers at all. Thanks for the info and please excuse my double post.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-28-2017, 03:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 399
Thanks (Received): 190
Likes (Given): 233
Likes (Received): 486
ALOHA from the Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 7 Old 04-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 218
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erv View Post
sscotsman, Thanks for the reply. As far as the date 1980, I have no proof, just what I was told by the seller as I was looking to buy this snow blower. With the information you posted, I am
gonna pass on it. I knew IH made pretty solid stuff in the 60's and 70's, some 80's but later cub cadet isn't that way and I wasn't even sure IH made snow blowers at all. Thanks for the info and please excuse my double post.
No problem Erv!
The seller is probably just guessing at the year, he probably has no idea..it very well could be one of the early 70's Ariens-built machines, which would fall in the "pretty solid stuff" range..

Cub Cadet is one of those brands that is definately "the older, the better"..but it sounds like you already know that!

I have some more info on the Ariens/Cubs here:

https://scotlawrence.github.io/arien...html#question3

Scot

post #6 of 7 Old 04-28-2017, 10:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 83
Likes (Received): 218
Scot
Did Ariens use this angled, slotted chute rotation ring on any of their own chutes? I don't remember seeing it before. Round holes with a sprocket yes, and teeth on the outside driven by a worm gear...tons of them. But these oval slots? Was that something they did just for IH?

I can't quite make out what is engaging them.
FWIW;
I believe Lawn Boy made their mowers.
example;
My IH Cub Cadet 3312 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
post #7 of 7 Old 05-01-2017, 01:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 11
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbert View Post
Scot
Did Ariens use this angled, slotted chute rotation ring on any of their own chutes? I don't remember seeing it before. Round holes with a sprocket yes, and teeth on the outside driven by a worm gear...tons of them. But these oval slots? Was that something they did just for IH?

I can't quite make out what is engaging them.
FWIW;
I believe Lawn Boy made their mowers.
example;
My IH Cub Cadet 3312 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Ariens built that machine in the photo and Ariens did use a sprocket style chute with holes in it for the first 6-7 years, but they were different, they either did it to make the cub cadet unique or so that the actual Ariens machines chutes could not interchange with cub cadet machine's Ariens built for them, most likely with the thought of design patent right's, which all has to do with $$$. So from the looks of it I don't think an Ariens sprocket will work on that Arien-cub cadet chute or vise versa I don't think that chute would work on an Ariens, the sprocket turning mech would have been made different to fit those hole's, I could be wrong it might work, but from the looks of it, I doubt it. But no Ariens never made their actual chutes with those type holes, the ones on all the Ariens chutes are straight not at an angle.

Dual stage machines
1971 Ariens Sno-Thro 7/24, 7hp Tecumseh H70 (Backup unit)
1971 Ariens Sno-Thro 32 wide Predator 212cc (7hp) (2nd unit)
2002 Snapper 8246 (Series 6) 8hp Tecumseh HMSK80 (Main unit)
Single stage machines
1985 SnowChamp by Aircap 3hp, 20" single stage, 2 cycle Tecumseh AH600, air-vane snow director (primary single stage)
2001 Craftsman 5hp, 21" single stage, 2 cycle Tecumseh HSK850 (secondary single stage)

Last edited by FearlessFront; 05-01-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page