8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 Old 12-21-2016, 10:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 2
For snow blowers I tend to think the older ones get the jobdone effectively and last a mighty long time, so put me down on the older sideof the ledger on this one. In the future perhaps technology will change myopinion, for now however I like my old beast of a machine.

Some newer things I change my mind and go for the newertechnology. Cars are much more maintenance free and run like a clock, gone arethe days of sticking a comb down the carburetor butterfly on a blistering coldday, yearly rust coating to little avail, yearly tune-ups and rough rides.Technology has come a long way, so go modern on that one.

Light bulbs I go newer as well with LED light quality going up,cost dropping exponentially, lifespan lasting upwards to 25 years, and cost ofuse being 1/6th. Goodbye incandescentwith lifespans of 2 years, material costs in buying bulbs over 20 years addingup, electricity costs and killing the planet. Within a few years as prices falleven lower don’t know anyone who can argue incandesants are better overall. Iam buying LED’s with rebates for $2.00, which over the life in saving ofmaterial cost and electricity seems to be an easy choice.

In snow blowers however still on the side of the oldermodels, till some new features hit the market that is a game changer. We arenot there yet, so call me an old timer still…lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 12-21-2016, 11:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 30
Likes (Received): 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHonda View Post
Exactly. Just like old cars vs new. Old ones have thicker steel but rust out 10 times faster.. Thickness of steel has no bearing to the life of it
Thickness of Steel has a Great Bearing on the life of it. MTD, Cub Cadet, et al have Weak Tin Auger Buckets.that collapse at the bottom, and Rot Away. Here's a Comparison of a Typical Rotted MTD Bucket and an Early Ariens Bucket made of REAL Steel, not Tin. I don't see the Thick Ariens Bucket Rusting out 10x faster, and it's a 1962 vs a 1990s MTD.

Snowbelt_subie likes this.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks classiccat thanked for this post
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #13 of 38 Old 12-21-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
Thickness of Steel has a Great Bearing on the life of it. MTD, Cub Cadet, et al have Weak Tin Auger Buckets.that collapse at the bottom, and Rot Away. Here's a Comparison of a Typical Rotted MTD Bucket and an Early Ariens Bucket made of REAL Steel, not Tin. I don't see the Thick Ariens Bucket Rusting out 10x faster, and it's a 1962 vs a 1990s MTD.

im with you on that just didnt feel like starting a disagreement
post #14 of 38 Old 12-21-2016, 02:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 2
I'll take a heavy machine with thick steel any day. Good for getting under packed snow.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 38 Old 12-21-2016, 03:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 24
We can all agree that they just done make anything like they used to, but with that said, there is nothing better then playing with a brand new shiny snowblower with all the latest bells and whistles. Grant it, I'm not that mechanically advanced, so I prefer something with warrantee, that hopefully won't need any work for a very long time. It even when I do have problems, I prefer taking it to my snowblower/lawnmower mechanic. I take my equipment in to see him pretty much annually, and for $40, he sharpens my blades, and makes sure everything is running smooth. I don't have time to fiddle with this stuff, and I expect it to work when I need it.

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 38 Old 12-21-2016, 07:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Used to have an old Jacobsen. Everything that rotated had a ball bearing supporting it, cast iron gear box, and the bucket material was near a 1/8" thick. Built like a brick Sh** house compared to anything after it.

Had a newer 1977ish John Deere 826 that my dad bought new. It was a rattly old beast but never let me down. Bronze bushings on the things that rotated, cast iron gear box, and the housing material was slightly thinner. Sold that blower this summer.

Had a Honda HS1132 for a short time (hated it BTW). Thin material everywhere, aluminum gearbox, not sure on the bushings vs bearings. It was a good machine, but the tracks and hydro weren't for me.

I now have a Ariens 1336Pro. Material thickness is about what the John Deere had, cast iron gearbox, and plastic bushings here and there. And a ball bearing that they are very proud of ($$) supporting the impeller.
post #17 of 38 Old 12-22-2016, 12:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 56
Old machines have simplicity, strength, and durability on their side.

A quality (typically expensive) new machine has better ergonomics, greater throwing distance, and improved user functionality In an easier to manipulate package. Cheap junk aside.

The evolution of the snowblower is interesting to reflect on. A lot has changed and stayed the same.
post #18 of 38 Old 12-22-2016, 07:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 45
Like someone said earlier.. Who wants to use the same blower for 40 years anyway? Id rather buy a new one every decade. Now I do LOVE old classic blowers but to count on for heavy duty use and speed, id rather go with a new one . I sure do love the old restored machines no doubt.
post #19 of 38 Old 12-22-2016, 02:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 391
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 232
Likes (Received): 476
You really want to know what happened to them???? Where should I start first off they had to start making them more safety features. then the EPA got involved because all those tree hugging hippies thought those engines were leading to green house gases and depleteing the ozone. and now the steel that was once used here on the old school machines. is now being imported from globaly sourced vendors. the engines are now made oversees because of labor costs here. so anybody that does not know anything about the old dinosaurs that still roam the frozen tundras. is forced to go to some big box store every couple of years to get a new 1. for reasons of lack of maintance or just runs it into the ground. but that works in favor for manufactures which know that they will always have a product to sell to the unsuspecting masses. I don't know if it is cheaper to make machines then keeping a parts line going for the years that have gone before us. maybe it is because of the retooling of all the machines. I remember that Penske racing was going to buy up Saturn from GM. but they decided not to after finding out they would have to set up a parts replacement manufacturing line. which included those plastic door panels and all those other goofy parts they used. plus people feel the need for change every few years like a new car, house, or even a new improved spouse. AND THAT IS ALL THE MORE I AM SAYING ON THIS 1.
Snowbelt_subie likes this.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JayzAuto1 liked this post
post #20 of 38 Old 12-22-2016, 03:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 24
You guys do realize that our kids, and grandkids will be looking at our current snowblowers and lawn mowers the same way in 20 years.

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page