post #21 of 38 Old 12-22-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
You really want to know what happened to them???? Where should I start first off they had to start making them more safety features. then the EPA got involved because all those tree hugging hippies thought those engines were leading to green house gases and depleteing the ozone. and now the steel that was once used here on the old school machines. is now being imported from globaly sourced vendors. the engines are now made oversees because of labor costs here. so anybody that does not know anything about the old dinosaurs that still roam the frozen tundras. is forced to go to some big box store every couple of years to get a new 1. for reasons of lack of maintance or just runs it into the ground. but that works in favor for manufactures which know that they will always have a product to sell to the unsuspecting masses. I don't know if it is cheaper to make machines then keeping a parts line going for the years that have gone before us. maybe it is because of the retooling of all the machines. I remember that Penske racing was going to buy up Saturn from GM. but they decided not to after finding out they would have to set up a parts replacement manufacturing line. which included those plastic door panels and all those other goofy parts they used. plus people feel the need for change every few years like a new car, house, or even a new improved spouse. AND THAT IS ALL THE MORE I AM SAYING ON THIS 1.
well thats a pretty epic rant

Current Toys

Cars
2009 hyundai genesis sedan (daily driver)
2002 WRB subaru WRX

Equipment ever changing
John Deere SXT38
Toro CCR 2000e #38185
Troy bilt Storm 8526
Echo srm 210 trimmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 12-22-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlfinish View Post
You guys do realize that our kids, and grandkids will be looking at our current snowblowers and lawn mowers the same way in 20 years.
you mean once the robot snowblowers take over and we just hit a button on a remote and they go blow the driveway and we sit in the living room and watch out the window with hot coco?
pearlfinish likes this.

Current Toys

Cars
2002 WRB subaru WRX

Equipment ever changing
John Deere SXT38
Toro CCR 2000e #38185
Troy bilt Storm 8526
Echo srm 210 trimmer
post #23 of 38 Old 12-22-2016, 05:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
you mean once the robot snowblowers take over and we just hit a button on a remote and they go blow the driveway and we sit in the living room and watch out the window with hot coco?
Hahaha ya something like that!!!

Only if I had $50,000 to invest in a heated driveway now....

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 38 Old 01-11-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlfinish View Post
You guys do realize that our kids, and grandkids will be looking at our current snowblowers and lawn mowers the same way in 20 years.
i doubt that very much ...how many of these thin metaled blowers with chinese engines are even going to be around in 20 years?

i look on craigslist in my city and can find 10+ running ariens blowers from the 70's that are 45+ years old.

Current Toys

Cars
2002 WRB subaru WRX

Equipment ever changing
John Deere SXT38
Toro CCR 2000e #38185
Troy bilt Storm 8526
Echo srm 210 trimmer
post #25 of 38 Old 01-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
i look on craigslist in my city and can find 10+ running ariens blowers from the 70's that are 45+ years old.
I guess they are replacing it with another Ariens to last another 45.
post #26 of 38 Old 01-11-2017, 03:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
I hear ya there.

I have a 2988 Ariens ST828.....it weighs in at around 325 pounds.

You can walk up to the machine and gram one side of the front of the bucket and lift up. The machine will not flex as the metal is fairly thick.

Try that with any new machine in any department store.

And the power of the new machines does not seem to be there either.

My neighbor has a brand new craftsman 10/28 and it will not toss snow nearly as well as my Ariens 8/28 that is 29 years old.

And as old as she may be, I can walk into the local dealership and pick up/order parts no problem at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160930_182340.jpg (418.8 KB, 20 views)
post #27 of 38 Old 01-11-2017, 03:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Plastic gets a bad rep' around here.

But when done well plastic is a superior material for certain parts. Let's consider the chute for example. People around here judge plastic ones as being "lower quality" (even the Toro ones). But in reality metal chutes are subject to rust, paint chipping, salt corrosion, and when they get super cold snow/ice sticks to them.

There are certain things that should be metal, like the frame, this is to withstand the torque being placed on it by the engine. Ditto with the auger blades and scraper bar. They have to be metal to withstand excess pressure.

But people around here act like if a snowblower has any plastic on it at all that that is just a cost cut. When in reality plastic is the optimal material for the work that snowblowers do, it just isn't realistic to use it on all surfaces because the plastic version of the metal component would be too thick.

Old snow blowers that are posted here are just an example of survivor bias. For every 45 year old Ariens that is posted here (most of which sat in someone's garage unused for the vast majority of that time), there are tens or hundreds that got thrown away after rust ate through the housing or seized up the auger blade.

Plus that "evil EPA" are the ones who help keep the US from looking like China with smog covered cities and children born with asthma and heart issues. Not to mention that modern snowblower engines get far more MPG than older beasts, and produce less toxins which may harm YOUR health.

I guarantee that if someone produced an all metal, made in the USA, no bells or whistles, that weighed 350 pounds, cost $4K, and ate through fuel like crazy creating clouds of black smoke, almost nobody would buy it and reviewers would tear it apart.

My point is: I like the direction snowblowers have gone. I expect many of the more modern ones with plastic parts to last a decent number of years, and when they do finally die it will be rust that kills them rather than the plastic failing. Sure, bad chinese engines and ethanol fuel is problematic, but that too will resolve itself in time as more engines have carburetors calibrated for 10% ethanol as standard.

Last edited by HogdogJoe; 01-11-2017 at 03:50 PM. Reason: 1
post #28 of 38 Old 01-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 204
Likes (Given): 74
Likes (Received): 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogdogJoe View Post
Old snow blowers that are posted here are just an example of survivor bias.
Except that's really not true..
I can see it for myself, from 8 years of checking out Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse NY Craigslist looking at *all* used snowblowers for sale.

Of course its true that many of the older 1960's, 70's and 80's snowblowers have gone to the great beyond..
but..
The "survivor rate", as a percentage of total made, is MUCH higher for the older machines..
just looking at snowblowers for sale proves that.
Lots of 1970's snowblowers around, not much MTD and Craftsman from the 90's around.

Its pretty clear from my observations over the past several years that its really an undeniable fact that the older ones last much longer than the newer ones.
and many people seem to think that overall quality of today's machines is "the same" as it was 40 years ago..
that is also clearly false, people see it for themselves all the time just by comparing old vs. new machines in person.

Scot
Snowbelt_subie likes this.

post #29 of 38 Old 01-11-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogdogJoe View Post

Plus that "evil EPA" are the ones who help keep the US from looking like China with smog covered cities and children born with asthma and heart issues. Not to mention that modern snowblower engines get far more MPG than older beasts, and produce less toxins which may harm YOUR health.

My point is: I like the direction snowblowers have gone.
My point is i dont that is why i created this thread.

The epa stuff you said is a little dramatic. death by snowblower toxins? that would be a first i think.

the epa isnt a bad thing when they are keeping manufacturing plants from billowing out smoke and dumping toxins. but when i want to adjust the mixture on my snowblower carb they need to stay the heck out of it.

Current Toys

Cars
2002 WRB subaru WRX

Equipment ever changing
John Deere SXT38
Toro CCR 2000e #38185
Troy bilt Storm 8526
Echo srm 210 trimmer
post #30 of 38 Old 01-11-2017, 05:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
The "survivor rate", as a percentage of total made, is MUCH higher for the older machines..
You have absolutely no way of knowing that.

You are checking CL and seeing listings for older machines and not younger machines. Maybe that's because people are happy with their defect free young machine and want to get rid of the old faulty rust bucket that is sitting unused in their garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
and many people seem to think that overall quality of today's machines is "the same" as it was 40 years ago..
that is also clearly false, people see it for themselves all the time just by comparing old vs. new machines in person.
People say the same thing about everything from washing machines, to cars, to TVs. The reality is that it is just survival bias. You only see the survivors, not the discarded. So you assume that things must have been better made back in the hayday, and everything is worse today.

I'm not buying it. I'm sure people will be saying the exact same thing twenty years from now, how everything in 2016 is better made than 2036 because they purchased a commercial grade vintage 2016 Honda on CL for $300. But then like now, it is just humans only seeing the survivors and not seeing the ones at the landfill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page