LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 12-20-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
what happened to snowblowers?

i haven't really been to a dealer to look at new blowers in a long time. i usually deal with older blowers from the 80's and early 90's.

i am just surprised on 2 things how much plastic is used and how thin the metal is that they use now for these things. i feel that they wont have the shelf life and will rust through faster then the thicker older snowblowers?

not to mention they are as expensive as ever. what do you guys think?

Last edited by Snowbelt_subie; 12-20-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-20-2016, 03:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Received): 13
Same with EVERYTHING ELSE made nowadays. Its all made to last a certain amount of time so you go back for more. Manufacturers dont want to sell a one and done, cant make money that way

-efisher-
06honda likes this.
post #3 of 38 Old 12-20-2016, 03:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 24
Not to familiar with the older blowers, but you're probably right in terms of materials used. It's like everything else now a days, look at cars for example, same thing has happened. Everyone wants a lighter blower full of power, and the only way to do that is to change materials.

But to be honest, who wants a blower to last a lifetime anyways?? I sure don't!! I loved buying a new Toro this year, and for $1000, I won't be upset if I only use it for 10 years, and buy a new one. I mean, if it doesn't eventually break down on you and fill with rust, what excuse are you gonna give your wife that you need another one...

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Likes Hanky liked this post
post #4 of 38 Old 12-20-2016, 03:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 266
Not exactly a shocker when you consider how everything else has changed...... tight economy and cost cutting is the name of the game if you wanna play. It's just the way it goes...... have you noticed how much shipping things has gone up!!? It's to a point where free shipping is a big deal now!

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #5 of 38 Old 12-20-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlfinish View Post
Not to familiar with the older blowers, but you're probably right in terms of materials used. It's like everything else now a days, look at cars for example, same thing has happened. Everyone wants a lighter blower full of power, and the only way to do that is to change materials.

But to be honest, who wants a blower to last a lifetime anyways?? I sure don't!! I loved buying a new Toro this year, and for $1000, I won't be upset if I only use it for 10 years, and buy a new one. I mean, if it doesn't eventually break down on you and fill with rust, what excuse are you gonna give your wife that you need another one...
yea i suppose how you feel is probably the norm now. i am 32 but from talking to my dad and grandpa people used buy things that last pretty much a lifetime equipment . my grandpa has and still has a cub cadet riding lawn mower from 1969.

lately i have been coming across lots of 1970's ariens snow thro's (i buy and sell used blowers) still in good shape. i just find it hard to believe the new ones will last that long.
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #6 of 38 Old 12-20-2016, 05:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 72
A good quality snowblower from the ninetys cost how much.....Powershift Toro comes to mind..........more money then today's blowers so how could they keep the same quality? Lawn tractors the same thing.......early seventies a decent tractor cost about the same as a pickup truck.....imagine that today? Lawn tractor prices haven't gone up in forty years!.....but they are built like crap now.
post #7 of 38 Old 12-20-2016, 08:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 38
Garage
I am of the school to buy old and used ( low hours ) and keep it maintained forever. with the internet you can find parts. Better still is buy another one just for parts.

I still have things from 30-40 years ago that work fine with proper maintenance. Do the same thing with cars. Have some 70's cars still with over 300,000 miles on them. Registration and insurance fees are cheap. Parts are readily available and they are easy to work on.

My Dad gave me all his old tools before he passed that are 60 plus years old . BTW , they were all made in the good ol USA!!!
Snowbelt_subie likes this.

what goes around comes around
Likes bad69cat liked this post
post #8 of 38 Old 12-20-2016, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 218
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 415
My two 1971 Ariens:

They will very easily work beside me for another 20 winters, when all three of us will be 70 years old.

Scot
ELaw likes this.

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-20-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Likes AriensPro1128 liked this post
post #9 of 38 Old 12-21-2016, 08:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlfinish View Post

Exactly. Just like old cars vs new. Old ones have thicker steel but rust out 10 times faster.. Thickness of steel has no bearing to the life of it
post #10 of 38 Old 12-21-2016, 08:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 94
I am a nostalgic kinda guy, especially the older I get. Additionally I realize that cost cutting is more apparent at this point in most machines relative to yesteryear. The Ariens Pro Series units feature heavier gauge auger housing side panels than their other models and you are paying extra for that as well as the other upgrades in the Pro Series. However the newer machines will generally outperform the older ones without requiring mods to throw far. If your newer machine is properly maintained and stored it can still last for decades.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

Last edited by Cardo111; 12-21-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page