What Would You Charge To Clear My Driveway? (Ownership costs Vs Hiring a Pro) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 12-20-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Garage
What Would You Charge To Clear My Driveway? (Ownership costs Vs Hiring a Pro)

Here's the layout of my place. What would you charge to clear it using a two stage SB? I'm not looking for salting or sanding prices or cleared to the surface. I'm just trying to calculate the cost of ownership of my new machine versus hiring it out.

I thought the price of my new machine was very high but it seems like it was pretty low considering I've already used it three times, it would have been five times but it got here a week and two light snow storms late.

The white areas are where I can put the snow.

I'm just looking for rough guesstimates.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-20-2016, 07:40 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 108
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 337
Garage
originally thought $50, but with a second look id say at least $75 . and that price is just because i enjoy moving snow. ( i have never moved snow for $ since i was a kid with a shovel )

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old 12-20-2016, 07:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 24
I'm gonna start by saying location is very important....as labor charges vary drastically from city to city, state to state...for example, here in the Toronto area, your looking at atleast $200/month for something like that wether it snows or or not. And you mentioned "using a two stage", but unfortunately that is not up to you what the company would use. You would not be able to dictate what machinery they use...they could use a truck with a shovel for all you know, really depends on the lot and area, and where snow can be put.

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pearlfinish; 12-20-2016 at 08:02 PM.
post #4 of 37 Old 12-20-2016, 07:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Many companies in my area also use the flat rate/winter service, where you'd pay a flat rate for the area wether it snowed or not.

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

post #5 of 37 Old 12-20-2016, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 169
Likes (Received): 60
I would not even think of hiring some one .... If you had your own 2 stage you can do as needed when it is needed. Blowing or plowing snow is a rewarding job, I plowed and blew snow for our school district for 32 years and now 6 years since I took the golden hand shake. REWARDING yes because when you are done you can look and see what you did and how much better it is. vacuum the house and when done you can hardly see the difference, cut the lawn and the dandelions are still there.

Just my 2 cents.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #6 of 37 Old 12-20-2016, 08:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 91
Thanks (Received): 231
Likes (Given): 306
Likes (Received): 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlfinish View Post
ou mentioned "using a two stage", but unfortunately that is not up to you what the company would use. You would not be able to dictate what machinery they use...they could use a truck with a shovel for all you know, really depends on the lot and area, and where snow can be put.
With all due respect, I beg to differ on this....
For the most part yes if it is up to them, they can use what ever they want to clean the snow with, but if a customer particularly requests snowblowing instead of plowing you have to stick to it (who PAYS decides, is their preference). I've seen a few scenarios where it gets done.
Now you can put a massive snowblower on one of the trucks (or a few companies here put snowblowers on small skid steers) and get done a lot faster, but you will have to snowblow it.

I as a customer would prefer snowblowing over plowing as well.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Eric thanked for this post
Likes Eric liked this post
post #7 of 37 Old 12-20-2016, 08:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 169
Thanks (Received): 247
Likes (Given): 975
Likes (Received): 409
can I use all the lawn area in front and behind the house and on the side of the barn or would I be restricted to just the areas you have highlighted? it would make a difference if you had a lot of snow. I do my elderly neighbors for free and sometimes the snow on their front lawn is as high as their front porch or about even with the hedges, a good four feet high or I will start at the occupied house south of me and blow snow north to the vacant houses north of me so I can blow snow into the backyards of those properties

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052
1-.............,TORO XL 624..............
1-............, TORO XL 824..............
william
post #8 of 37 Old 12-20-2016, 08:21 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 108
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 337
Garage
.....what about a one time $ value ? Eric is just trying to figure out how much he is ,or could be, saving by being a diy guy as compared to farming it out ,after his purchase of a new sb.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

post #9 of 37 Old 12-20-2016, 08:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
With all due respect, I beg to differ on this....
For the most part yes if it is up to them, they can use what ever they want to clean the snow with, but if a customer particularly requests snowblowing instead of plowing you have to stick to it (who PAYS decides, is their preference). I've seen a few scenarios where it gets done.
Now you can put a massive snowblower on one of the trucks (or a few companies here put snowblowers on small skid steers) and get done a lot faster, but you will have to snowblow it.

I as a customer would prefer snowblowing over plowing as well.

Absolutely right, customer can request it... but wether the company agrees to it or not is up to them. They're going to charge a very high premium for it, especially if they're busy, and have many other homes to go do. I know a few companies that clean snow, and speed is their main priority. They're not going to walk up and down your driveway with a snowblower for 45 minutes or so, if they can plow it in 5 minutes, and have a guy or two with a shovel cleaning up against walls and such...

It really all comes down to how much the person is willing to pay, and how much time the company is willing to give you for the amount of money agreed on.

I've also seen various machines used on the same property. Snow blowers in tight spots, and plows in open areas where allowed.

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

post #10 of 37 Old 12-20-2016, 08:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 91
Thanks (Received): 231
Likes (Given): 306
Likes (Received): 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlfinish View Post
Absolutely right, customer can request it... but wether the company agrees to it or not is up to them.
I agree with your point as the company could agree or not.
All I tried to say was, if I want my property snowblowed and I am paying for that type of service, I am getting it or I would get another company to do it.

The OP is asking for a estimate on the service and he wants it snowblowed. I have no idea how companies charge.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes pearlfinish liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page