Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 Old 12-29-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 21
No pics but so far so good, Belts actually look good and no wobble on the impeller bearing but going to check out more closely after I get everything running, the lever and cable for the turning this thing was not attached and part of a broken screw still in the handle so since the cable was not in the best of shape I went to my local Ariens dealer and got the new handle and cable, EWWW and the carb.... This poor thing had been sitting a long time, Carb barely moved and the bowl was a mess of white crusty stuff BUT I have the old carb from my wood chipper (Same Tecumseh 10HP engine) well anyhow pulled the plastic float out of the white crusty mess and put it in the wood chipper carb that ran great but had a leaking brass float (HEY I didn't want to wait LOL A new carb has been ordered anyway with adjustable needles) But sadly its cold and pouring rain so no pulling out of the over stuffed garage to test run, Will do that tomorrow and open up the gearbox and hope it's in decent shape while I change out the cable. I'll try and remember pics tomorrow.
post #13 of 49 Old 01-16-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok a little update, have not done a lot due to the cold and already have a blower so taking my time and going to do this right, have a pile of parts in, New gears for the chute controls, new drive wheel since I'll have it apart I may as well put one in, new auger bearing and most of what's been holding me up is deciding what to do about the axle which is FUBAR Shaw has given me a few great suggestions and even offered to help if needed (real nice guy and thank you much for your offers) what I think I may do which I discovered in a thread here is they make a kit to add auto turn to these older blowers, a few $$$ but since I'm planning to keep this machine I really don't mind spending a little on it, Soon plan to put the auger bearing in and paint to inside of the bucket, auger and impeller while I have it all apart anyway and that will give me a little time to think if I want to spend the money, and replace any parts needed as I pull it apart. The poor neglected old girl is getting a second chance on life and hopefully lasts me a good few more years.
post #14 of 49 Old 01-17-2017, 09:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 12
Sounds like you're doing it right. Would love to see some pictures of your project; especially when changing the auger bearing.
post #15 of 49 Old 01-17-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
May try today if I can get out of work early enough, It was upgraded to a double belt pulley at some point so I'm hoping it's not too rusted on but will find out hopefully tonight.
post #16 of 49 Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I actually ordered some Allis Chalmers Orange today with a few other things I need, Had a fight with it today trying to get the pulley off, I think I may need the Mapp gas for this one, Wanted to drill holes and use a puller but there is no room to get the nuts on behind the pulley due to it being a double belt auger pulley, Bearing is def wasted, Can actually move the shaft around and worst case if I destroy the pulley it's $45 for a new one. Getting expensive but I'll get there.
post #17 of 49 Old 01-18-2017, 12:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 24
GAfternoon Duntae, How thick is the pulley flange? What is the diameter? What I've done before, is drill 1/4 x 28 holes though the face of the pulley flange, close to the center, but NOT touching the shaft. By threading them, you won't need nuts and can use a small puller. Haet and beat a little and they will usually free up. Worst case scenario, (mis-drilled), it needed a pulley anyway. I've had 90% success rate. GLuck, Jay
post #18 of 49 Old 01-20-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Jay, a good idea but you honestly can't really tell on this pulley, I goes on the keyed shaft and bottoms out in the hole on the pulley with only a hole big enough to fit the bolt, Really tight fit with this pulley, I think this is right before the started putting a flange on the shaft and 3 bolts to hold the pulley on, When I look up parts I come across both pulley's with and without the flange, Biggest issue is it's a double pulley so I can't really even got anything under it either
post #19 of 49 Old 01-21-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Took a little drive today with the 1027 to visit Shaw351, One heck of a nice guy. Helped me get the rust welded pulley off to change the auger bearing, Now have it all apart and will be cleaning out any rust and doing some painting, We had to cut the pulley off due to how badly it was rusted but they sell a kit for the 926 (uses the same pulley) that comes with the both pullies and a a new idler pulley with arm for only $10 more than the pulley alone AND it comes with 2 new belts. This one has a double belt pulley for the auger so I spent the extra $10. And I just want to thank Shaw351 once again, he's got a nice shop also.
post #20 of 49 Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 30
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Took a little drive today with the 1027 to visit Shaw351, One heck of a nice guy. Helped me get the rust welded pulley off to change the auger bearing, Now have it all apart and will be cleaning out any rust and doing some painting, We had to cut the pulley off due to how badly it was rusted but they sell a kit for the 926 (uses the same pulley) that comes with the both pullies and a a new idler pulley with arm for only $10 more than the pulley alone AND it comes with 2 new belts. This one has a double belt pulley for the auger so I spent the extra $10. And I just want to thank Shaw351 once again, he's got a nice shop also.
Your welcome, im always glad to help others. This Arien's pulley was one of the worst I've ever had to do, because we were not able to use a large puller to get it off due to the fact this pulley Hub only had a 5/16 through hole to the main shaft, not an open 3/4 inch hole as most others are.

Love to pass on knowledge and experience to perpetuate the trade crafts. Most young people today would rather just throw something away and buy new rather than learn how to fix it themselves. Sadly the new items that you buy today are not as well made as machines and things from yesteryear. Fortunately we have a place like snowblower forums.com to keep things alive and well.
THE Wolfman likes this.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower
MY ARIENS =
Awesome
Really
Intense
Exceptionally
Nasty
Snowblower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page