6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 Old 01-22-2017, 02:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 24
HMMMMMM, Not much pulley to work with. Did you guys ever try an 'Induction Heater'? They have a flexible loop adapter that may get behind a pulley. I've never used one for that application, but it may be worth a try. Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 Old 01-22-2017, 03:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 38
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzAuto1 View Post
HMMMMMM, Not much pulley to work with. Did you guys ever try an 'Induction Heater'? They have a flexible loop adapter that may get behind a pulley. I've never used one for that application, but it may be worth a try. Jay
Hey Jay, ive used them out in the field but don't have one at home. This pulley system must have been in a transition year, where they had to use everything that was on the Shelf. As you can see from the picture it is a eight and a half inch diameter pulley with a blind hole Hub in the middle that fits over the shaft that is almost like a socket with a 5/16 hole in one end. Then the second pulley is closest to the bucket and it is held in place merely sitting on the Hub and have three bolts through the outer pulley with a spacer in the middle to pinch them together. The space between the inner pulley and the bucket was less than three sixteenth of an inch, could not get a wedge or anything behind it without deforming the pulley or bowing the bucket. I was going to weld a couple nuts on the outer pulley to use as a push puller with a puller, but you only have access to the shaft through that 5/16 inch hole and the amount of force it would take would just crush the bolt. We had it pretty hot with the map gas but it was not budging. I cut off the outer pulley off of the Hub, then was able to wedge back and forth the inner pulley off of the Hub so the only thing left on the end of the shaft was the Hub. Heated up the Hub again and then tried using a puller and all it did was crush the bolt !!
It was game on then... Took a grinder and cut through the outer Hub to the shaft to relieve the pressure from the rust, still did not want to come off it was incredible !! Then took a BFH and a chisel and wedged into the grinder cut and was able to shatter part of the Hub and then get the rest of it off the end of the shaft. It was the same type of deal to get the impeller bearing off, but In the end we managed to get everything off and no damage to the shaft.

Crazy job it was
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6608.jpg (174.5 KB, 41 views)

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT........ Currently Under Construction
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower
post #23 of 49 Old 01-22-2017, 09:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
WOW, I guess so, I had a hard time picturing that setup in my head. I just re-read that post that mentioned 'Double-Pulley", that's a game changer, not to mention the diameter of the pulley. No room to work. Not much you can do there but sacrifice it at that point. The important thing is that it's done, and you look good doing it!! Buying the kit is a no-brainer too....Might as well get the most for your dollars. GLuck, Jay
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Shaw351 thanked for this post
post #24 of 49 Old 01-22-2017, 02:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Was told this is a 2010 or so model, thats only 6 or 7 years in service. From the wear on this machine im sure it had commercial usage, but its still not that old for this much rust.
The more I work on these new machines, the more I like the older ones !!!
I'll take a 1970 Ariens 24 inch snowblower over a 2017 Any day.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT........ Currently Under Construction
post #25 of 49 Old 01-22-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 6
Shaw I did a little more investigating, It looks like this was made in 2007 to 2008 for production yrs, not a whole lot older but only 2 years made as far as I can find. I'll post some more later when I get a chance.
post #26 of 49 Old 01-22-2017, 03:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 72
I always use a "pickle fork" tool for taking off impeller pulleys. It has a 3/4 inch slot with a wedge on each side of the opening used to take tie rods off in cars....just jam it in behind the pulley hub and hit with hammer. The wedge presses the hub away from the bearing. One you get far enough away...put a second one behind the first and repeat. I've had !00% success with this method. I just did two this morning swapping out an impeller gearbox from one ST 824 to an early 924 series. No heat or solvent used, just loosen the two set screws and hammer off.
post #27 of 49 Old 01-22-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
I always use a "pickle fork" tool for taking off impeller pulleys. It has a 3/4 inch slot with a wedge on each side of the opening used to take tie rods off in cars....just jam it in behind the pulley hub and hit with hammer. The wedge presses the hub away from the bearing. One you get far enough away...put a second one behind the first and repeat. I've had !00% success with this method. I just did two this morning swapping out an impeller gearbox from one ST 824 to an early 924 series. No heat or solvent used, just loosen the two set screws and hammer off.
OH we tried, biggest issue was we were not able to get them behind the pulley due to there being no space
post #28 of 49 Old 01-22-2017, 04:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
That was my first tool to try on this application, but didn't work. This setup is not like all the others ive worked on, we had two forks in between the bearing and back of pulley hub, all it did was force the bearong back and bow the bucket towards the impeller. On this weird setup there is over an inch or more between the bearing and the back of the impeller, it just free floats in there. The pulley is fixed on the shaft due to the blind hole / pocket of the hub. Guess i could of tried to add a third fork between the inside of bucket and impeller, but not much space or access. Ive done more than i can remember, this one was a first for me.
Shame Shame on engineers for poor design, and also for not putting a dab of lubricant on end of shaft.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
post #29 of 49 Old 02-08-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
10 days short of a month, I ordered on 1/20/17 the double pulley kit is FINALLY on the way. Got the email from Jacks a little while ago. No paint other than the augers with epoxy paint but I can finally start getting this thing back together. Next to pull apart the tractor and put all the new bushings and bearings in and THEN hope for one more snow fall to try it out. Then take it all apart again in the spring and get it ready to be painted LOL Can't wait until this one is done.
post #30 of 49 Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Dauntae, I've had the same problem with Jack's. I asked why can't they shoot me an email if a part IS NOT in stock. I understand they can't stock everything, shipping, other people.....Blah Blah Blah. But they will hold up a 30 piece order for ONE backorder!!!! They said they don't have 'Real Time Inventory Ordering'..... Translation Please?? Oh, antiquated system. We can put men on the moon, but have to wait for a post card in the mail to find out a part is out of stock. They said "Call In Your Order", we can give an immediate update. Thanx Jack. I'll just mail my order on a postcard....and wait for spring for my snowblower parts.

GLuck, Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page