6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 24
Well that axle was such a pain in the @$$ to get apart but I was persistent and finally got it out, Only if I could get the wheels off, No pics today but will when I reassemble. The 3 1/4-20 bolts that hold the collars on both sides that the axle goes through, Well I got 2 out and 4 snapped due to being seriously rusted, Thus not reassembled yet. Will be bringing them to work to drill out the broken bolts and clean the threads, Then using stainless bolts to put it back together. All the parts I ordered I def needed and the ones I didn't were not needed, I got lucky on that one but the wheel release seems in really good shape and I think it will work well once I get it back together. Lets see, rebuilt auger with all new bushings and bearings and new pulley, Going through the gear box rebuilding so that should be ah well better than new since I am making a lot of stuff using much higher grade materials. Plan to paint this summer, GOD I pray the engine is as good as it seem to run when I first got it home, All this and if the engine implodes LOL I'll be searching for a new engine LOL. Needless to say I have learned tons from this rebuild and now I can use a lot of what I learned repairing old ones for resale for next winter. AND I will have one beast of a snow blower that I can take pride in. Not to mention I will know every inch of this thing and be able to know exactly what to fix if anything should go wrong. Love this hng. But sill kind of want the auto steer option, who knows. Girlfriend loves me projects and she hunts and finds more cheap blowers than I do, I think me giving her one of the $50 finds after going through i was a big help, She LOVES the Toro 521 I got her that now starts first pull and knows how much I enjoy fixing these things. Got a good blower now and a better woman that helps me find more. Life is good and should have this thing running moving snow (at least ready too anyway) in a few days if all goes right. Well I'll have pics tomorrow on this rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 Old 02-15-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well gearbox is done....For now anyway lol, New friction disk installed, Had to go buy a new T40 torx as my old one was slipping a bit and the new one worked nicely, Everything is smooth and NO slop and everything is solid, The wheel release however does work, but rather sporadically and is random whether it will lock the wheel or not so I am going to just leave it locked and not worry about it for now. I'm thinking once I get the rest all together and make sure of the reliability of the engine I will be ordering the auto turn kit but that gives me a little time to save. Now I just need to pull the bucket off again and get it back into the garage. So what was done on this? ,

1) all new bearings and bushings throughout the entire machine other than the engine.
2) New gears for the chute turning and locking.
3) New impeller bearing.
4) New pulley for the auger
5) new bushings for the auger (this thing turns smoothly now)
6) all cables have been replaced with new
and I know there is more but just can't think of it all ATM but I will be pulling out of the basement and having it all in working order this weekend and hoping I get to try it out a little. Hope the remaining snow doesn't all melt by this weekend LOL

everything back together, OH and I still have to grease everything and clean all the PB blaster and crud out.
[IMG][/IMG]
New friction disk
[IMG][/IMG]
and the dreaded wheel lock that hates me LOL
[IMG][/IMG]
post #43 of 49 Old 02-16-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
well last piece for the gearbox done, A washer welded on would be fine but this looks so much better. Just need to drill some holes for the screws and shaft will be well supported.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
all3939 likes this.
post #44 of 49 Old 02-16-2017, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 392
Thanks (Received): 454
Likes (Given): 2530
Likes (Received): 859
You really went all out. Looks great.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!
post #45 of 49 Old 02-16-2017, 08:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 11
I would do the same. When I start something in my machine shop you can't get me out of there. Us tool and die guys go overboard all the time because it's second nature to do it only the best way.
post #46 of 49 Old 02-16-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, I can't wait to paint this thing, Kind of disappointed the wheel lock isn't working well but the auto turn will be a nice upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all3939 View Post
I would do the same. When I start something in my machine shop you can't get me out of there. Us tool and die guys go overboard all the time because it's second nature to do it only the best way.
it's a addiction isn't it LOL

Seeing the wheels are rust welded on the axle I found these, same Kenda tires that are on it now with the good tread pattern and new wheels. Good price too, especially comparing it to the Ariens price.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/shop.a...ords=15X5.00-6 Less than $100 for the set on rims

Last edited by Dauntae; 02-16-2017 at 09:04 PM.
post #47 of 49 Old 02-17-2017, 12:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 17
Dauntae, Looks great so far...Couple questions tho: 1) what is that machined piece for? and why weld a washer to it? 2) Axle disconnect looks like it's connected properly...What's it/not doing??? Does the cable pull on that gear? And the gear slide on the splines?? I've fixed 2 this week and that looks correct. 3) Does G/F have a single identical twin?? Doesn't have to be single, matters not to me.

Thanx, Jay
post #48 of 49 Old 02-17-2017, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
LOL Jay no twin and TRUST me.... You wouldn't want her sisters LOL

1) the shaft I replaced was badly grooved from neglect and got hammered on by the gear and the hole in the side that holds it was starting to get a bit loose and I've seen on this forum people welding a washer there that the shaft fits in to support it, Shaw351 I think put the post about it too. This one was not that bad but it DID give me a excuse to make stuff hehe, Since I was already making a new shaft I just made is slightly longer to be able to be held by the collar.

2) Everything DOES work properly-ish, But the axle itself was so badly pitted underneath it it keeps getting hung up, This thing was NEVER lubed is my guess and rust was real bad on a lot of areas, To get the axle pieces to replace that pitted parts would cost $80 from the cheapest places I could find, If I was going to spend that much I figure I may as well just spend a little more and get the auto turn, Because either way I would need to get new wheels because these are seriously rust welded to the pitted axle, Tried a torch and got it glowing then pressing the axle in a hydraulic press and not even budged. So I am just not going to pull the lever if a freak snow storm hits before spring.

3) Like I said, I got the good one in her seriously crazy family, She does a lot of own work on her jeep too, I keep telling her she needs a good hobby like rebuilding small engines..... I get the rolled eyes on that one, But I'm still working it on that one LOL
post #49 of 49 Old 02-23-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
well got it all back together and tried it on what's left of the snow, The big slushy piles still melting from the last snow fall lol, Well anyhow it actually chewed right through it and threw it quite the distance. I was happy, A few little engine things to deal with though, First was there is a hole in the side of the muffler so I'll have to get a new one, just scares me with those long bolts tecumseh used on the 10hp engine, those LOVE to snap and really not wanting to drill it out of the block until I am SURE there will be no more snow, Happened on my wood chipper and I still have to get that one out, fortunately the one bolt still in it is holding and no exhaust leak so may leave the wood chipper be for a while since it doesn't get tons of use anyway. The only other issue I have found is it seems someone removed all the kill switches on this thing, There was no key switch to turn it off but I see that a lot but I figured at least the switch when you put the throttle all the way down would be there.... NOPE WTH, I put it all the way down and I get a nice slow idle... At least I got the carb tuning right LOL so I now have to pull the plug wire to turn it off, Have not gotten into it to see if there is a wire off the coil yet but that will be fixed but need to find the contact points to add for the kill switches, May actually put a switch like the newer ones instead of the plastic key but finding the little plastic piece that holds the wire to contact the throttle has been daunting, nothing on ebay so far that I can find, But anyhow the engine does run well and it throws snow better than I hoped.

Last edited by Dauntae; 02-23-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page