Need Help - Sno-Tek piling snow up in front - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 138 Old 01-08-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Need Help - Sno-Tek piling snow up in front

We have researched threads and attempted to find a reason/solution to our problem, but can't pinpoint what is going wrong. We have a new Sno-Tek 24 snow blower...our first snow blower (military family...we have not needed one until now). This is our second use of the machine...the first use last week had the same problem.

The blades appear to be rotating correctly, and the machine throws snow when the snow gets up into the chute, but the blower seems to push snow in front of it more than actually taking the snow past the augers and into the chute. I am to trying to post video link to youtube showing what is happening. If anyone can offer some advice on what is causing this and how to remedy it, we would be most appreciative.

I am new, so this forum won't let me post an attachment. Some are saying to do quick reply. I will try that, but I'm at a loss as to how to link to my video at this point. I can certainly email the link to anyone who would like to look at it to see the problem. Now this forum not letting me post a video is a whole new frustration! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 Old 01-08-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
post #3 of 138 Old 01-08-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sweet! Quick reply worked!!! Thank you in advance for advice to us snow rookies!
post #4 of 138 Old 01-08-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Posting one more video. I went out and observed the husband again and noticed that even when snow does get in the chute, it does not seem to throw very far compared to other videos I see of this particular blower in action. Hoping this second, longer video gives more visual with which to get some solid advice. I have to believe something is haywire with the machine...this machine gets so much praise and works great for others...

post #5 of 138 Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 211
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 396
That is unusual behavior! but I think I can explain it..
the snow on the right side (right side from the operators perspective, left side when looking at the snowblower from the front)
is simply too light, and its just getting pushed along, because there is nothing to hold it back.
You can see the snow on the other side is being fed into the auger blades normally, because of the friction along the un-cleared edge.

I dont think there is anything wrong, its just a matter of a small amount of light snow being pushed on the virtually frictionless ground, rather than being chewed up by the augers..the augers cant bite into the snow, because there is nothing to hold back the snow.

When the machine is digging into snow on the driveway that hasn't yet been cleared, I assume it works normally?

I agree this is odd behavior! never seen anything quite like it.
but the augers are spinning correctly..the only thing that explains it is what I said above: a small light pile of snow, and the augers just push it rather than "eating" it, simply because there is nothing to hold the snow in place.

other theorys welcome!

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 138 Old 01-08-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the reply, Scot. Unfortunately, when biting into "whole" swaths of snow, the pushing problem is just as prevalent, if not worse. The only way to get through it at all is to eat up really small swaths. The snow is actually wet and heavy. The snow we had last week was light and fluffy...same problem. This time wet and heavy...same problem. This snow has a layer of ice under it, which makes the "friction" theory more plausible though. We've tried going very slow and that doesn't help because the blower is not a "vacuum"...it doesn't suck the snow in...you have to cut into the snow. Going slow just means we're plowing slower. Going faster to try to cut in doesn't help either.
post #7 of 138 Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
When I made my reply above, I had only seen the first video..
Now I have also seen the second video..

ok, what I said above is obviously not the answer..
that machine is pushing snow much more than it should..

I doubt its broken shear pins, because if they were broken the augers would stop spinning completely, but they dont.
very weird! I dont have an explanation at the moment..I will watch the videos several times to see if anything else pops-out at me..
im sure others will chime in too..
Im sure we can get it figured out!

Scot

post #8 of 138 Old 01-08-2017, 12:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
If, during assembly, one auger was installed backwards, it would push snow rather than collect it. Can't tell if that's your case, but I've seen it before. Just sayin. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #9 of 138 Old 01-08-2017, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead64 View Post
If, during assembly, one auger was installed backwards, it would push snow rather than collect it. Can't tell if that's your case, but I've seen it before. Just sayin. MH
thats not it, augers are spinning in the correct direction.

Scot

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #10 of 138 Old 01-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Could be that the impeller is broken loose..and just spinning loosely on its shaft.
The impeller is the "second stage" in a 2-stage snowblower, its the "fan" that sits behind the augers and its what forces the snow out the chute:

impellers dont usually have a "shear pin" like the augers do, but they have a bolt or key attaching the impeller "fan" to its shaft..
if that is broken, the impeller would be spinning, but loosly, and not forcing snow out the chute as strongly as it should.

With the machine turned completely off, take a stick and try to spin the impeller..it should *not* spin loosely..
if it does, thats your problem.

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 01-08-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, JD in NJ liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page