Carrgo Carrier Or Loading Ramps For Transport? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-08-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Carrgo Carrier Or Loading Ramps For Transport?

I've got a 2013 Ram 1500 with a sprayed on bedliner and a 3 fold bed cover. Whenever it snows my brother will take care of his house and then head to my house to help me finish. We'll then head to our sisters house to help our brother-in-law and then we'll all go take care of our parents house. Luckily we all live about 5-10 minutes from each other.

We've only had lightweight single stage machines so it was easy for one person to load into the bed of the truck. I just purchased a 2 stage that tips the scales at almost 300 lbs so I've got to find a different way to load it. Sure, I guess two people could easily lift it into the bed of the truck but I'm not interested. lol

How about a set of loading ramps to drive the blower into the bed of my truck? I've never used them before, does it make a difference that my bed has a sprayed on liner?

How about a receiver mounted cargo carrier? I've seen some that have ramps you can drive up on.

Finally, how about a small utility trailer?

No matter what I choose I have to spend money on because I don't have anything. Another thing to consider is that I may look into mowing my parents lawn too this year. They've had a landscaper for years but they're both retired and on a fixed income so I'd be transporting my mower, trimmer and blower too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-08-2017, 03:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 13
Sounds like you need a small trailer with a gate that opens to form a ramp! That being said, while I have no particular experience with pickups, I have used the pull-out ramps on a commercial style Ford once for just this purpose and it worked OK.
post #3 of 25 Old 01-08-2017, 03:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Best ramps hands down are 5 star . Light weight aluminum and strong. They can take my weight(280lb) and a 4 wheeler ridding up in the back of a pick up truck (non folding ramp) . Just sold the non folding for what I almost paid for them as well $100 and switched to 5 star folding ramp to save space . Nice feature is the have rubber dipped front forks to help them from sliding side to side on tail gate . I have a bed liner in my truck and I also cut grooves in the plastic liner so the ramp forks fit and hold better on tail gate . Another nice feature with these ramps they come with a tie down so they won't walk away from your tail gate . What I also like compared to wood ones I used to used is when wheeled or track snow blower goes up the ramps is that the spacing In between the ramps allows snow from wheels or tracks to fall threw rather then rest on ramps like wooden ones . The only problem you have to worry about is if the ramps split when coming down ramp .
post #4 of 25 Old 01-08-2017, 03:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 154
Likes (Received): 59
If storage when not in use, a trailer is the best way with a tailgate that folds down to a ramp. The loading unloading angle is easy, Ramp in a pickup up will work but you will have to worry about snow and ice build up and unloading walking down backwords could be a problem. Having loaded my ATV and blower many time with a 8 ft ramp. now a small trailer makes life better.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #5 of 25 Old 01-08-2017, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Received): 12
If skilled and able id say ramps, they do have tri-fold ramps for ATVs that make it easier to walk up the ramp with the machine. Bed liner wont change anything. I have a large SUV with a hitch carrier, i like that over a small trailer.

-efisher-
post #6 of 25 Old 01-08-2017, 05:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 62
I use non folding ramps that I bought at harber freight on my 2014 ram 2500.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #7 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 12:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I vote for an aluminum hitch carrier with a ramp. It is far easier to load especially if the snow blower ever breaks down. It is also easier to tie down. Aluminum will keep the weight down and will hold up to road salt. They work great for lawn mowers also. Some ramps are really slippery with snow. Another added bonus is keeping the bed dry if you have a cover.
post #8 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Garage
If landscaping will also be part of your duties, then a small trailer would most likely be best. If getting a trailer, make sure it has the "A" frame at the tongue.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 01:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 4
I also use the Harbor Freight ramps for my Honda. It weighs about 250 pounds and I have no problem loading/unloading it into my pickup

1000 lb. Capacity 9 in. x 72 in. Steel Loading Ramps, Set of Two
Item # 44649
Rated 4.3 out of 5 stars
(105)

comp at $77.95
Only: $59.99
post #10 of 25 Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 1
I kind of like something like this.

My only concern would be loading/unloading the machine using the ramp. Wouldn't the machine going up/down the ramp put a lot of strain on the part going into the receiver of the truck? It just seems like it would want to twist that part.

Last edited by longislandcamper22; 01-10-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page