LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 2
Engine swap/upgrade?

So I've had this thing for years and have been gradually getting it to be a bit more reliable. I'm at a point where I'm going to be replacing the carb and wondered if I shouldn't just replace the motor. It looks like for less than a couple hundred I could upgrade to a 10hp or something. Problem is, although I'm well versed in car repair and such, I have no idea how to go about the selection process of deciding which motor is going to fit when it's not stock or if the machine is worth upgrading in the first place (or will more hp/torque just shred everything it's connected to). It seemed ancient when I got it, so I may just be keeping a zombie going.

Any suggestions?

Since apparently I can't post images direct, here are links (just add http):

Everything I can find on it in case you can't get to pics:
Noma 5hp 24"
6 speed
old as ****
# on engine: HSSK50 67317N
I see nothing on DOM except 42590

Last edited by n8ertot; 01-10-2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: updating image links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 04:55 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 108
Likes (Given): 175
Likes (Received): 337
Garage
is the engine a dual shaft or a single ? if its a single, a 212cc predator for about $100 , or if your in canada you can get the 208 cc powerfist for about $140 on sale. both those engines should be a bolt on, with possible easy mods to the chute rotation rod.
if its a dual shaft engine......not so easy, but not impossible to "chonda" it.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks n8ertot thanked for this post
post #3 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 05:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 13
Its a tecumseh eng, do u want to up the hp? I repower machines all the time. Sticking to tecumseh is easier. Depending on the year of eng anything over 7-8 hp will have a bigger crank case cover so the eng will sit farther back on the frame. Usually noma was good about using the same frame on machines with bigger engines so theres should already be holes that will take a bigger eng. other things to look at are, if the eng is moved back is there enough space between the handle bars and pullstarter on eng. ( bigger eng usually sits back about 1.5in). The same crank shaft size helps when fitting pulleys. My latest job was changing from a chineese 5hp on a cub cadet to a 8hp tecumseh. I got lucky, everything changed over as if same eng. i lost the headlight tho, No stator on older tecumseh

-efisher-
Doublee2005 likes this.
post #4 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Looks like a single. Any geometry changes I'd need to make (like pulleys, different belts, etc) or would it be entirely the same except a more powerful engine?
post #5 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.fisher26 View Post
Its a tecumseh eng, do u want to up the hp? I repower machines all the time. Sticking to tecumseh is easier. Depending on the year of eng anything over 7-8 hp will have a bigger crank case cover so the eng will sit farther back on the frame. Usually noma was good about using the same frame on machines with bigger engines so theres should already be holes that will take a bigger eng. other things to look at are, if the eng is moved back is there enough space between the handle bars and pullstarter on eng. ( bigger eng usually sits back about 1.5in). The same crank shaft size helps when fitting pulleys. My latest job was changing from a chineese 5hp on a cub cadet to a 8hp tecumseh. I got lucky, everything changed over as if same eng. i lost the headlight tho, No stator on older tecumseh

-efisher-
Yeah, the goal would be a bigger engine. My assumption is that this thing's old enough it's probably lost most of the HP it started out with, so even a 1:1 would be better. But if I'm going to do it, I'd just as soon give it a bump.
There should be enough room for a pullstart, although maybe I should look at getting an electric start engine if possible.
My hope is that I'd be able to get a bigger engine with the same shaft so I wouldn't have to worry about all of the geometry changes that would come w/ new pulleys and such.
post #6 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 05:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
To use the extra power i might find a bigger auger pulley, maybe like 1/4 bigger. Tractor supply has pulleys in stock, if not there then online. OEM pulleys somtimes are one piece, drive and auger. So i buy 2 separate pulleys. New tecumseh engines arent made now, so would need to find used or leftover expencive eng at dealers.

-efisher-
post #7 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 05:36 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 108
Likes (Given): 175
Likes (Received): 337
Garage
the 212 or 208 chonda will use your pulleys and same belt, and same belt cover. you will grin from ear to ear upgrading from a 5hp tired tech to a "6.5 hp" chonda. throw in an impeller kit.....and it will be better than many new machines as far as snow moving goes. if you are handy with tools, even with the chute rod mods, its an afternoons work or less .

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 05:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Ya the chonda engines scare me, but they are gaining popularity

-efisher-
post #9 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
To use the extra power i might find a bigger auger pulley, maybe like 1/4 bigger. Tractor supply has pulleys in stock, if not there then online. OEM pulleys somtimes are one piece, drive and auger. So i buy 2 separate pulleys. New tecumseh engines arent made now, so would need to find used or leftover expencive eng at dealers.

-efisher-
It looks like mine has the pulleys attached individually. Are you saying 1/4" bigger or do you mean size*25% bigger?
I go back and forth about whether I'd want to reuse an old engine when new ones are so cheap, but it would be nice if it's bolt-on.

Quote:
Ya the chonda engines scare me, but they are gaining popularity

-efisher-
Why do they scare you?

Last edited by n8ertot; 01-10-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Multi-quoting
post #10 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
the 212 or 208 chonda will use your pulleys and same belt, and same belt cover. you will grin from ear to ear upgrading from a 5hp tired tech to a "6.5 hp" chonda. throw in an impeller kit.....and it will be better than many new machines as far as snow moving goes. if you are handy with tools, even with the chute rod mods, its an afternoons work or less .
So it would be completely bolt-on then, with not other parts or dimensions affected? Sounds like a pretty good setup then.
As for impeller kit, are you talking about a rebuild or is there an upgrade you're recommending?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page