Yesterday, we got hit with quite a bit of snow, and I couldn't WAIT to put my Yamaha SB to work. At first, I was a bit worried because of not being able to 'pull start' it. I then shoveled out a pathway by which to get the unit closer to my exterior electrical outlet. Marrying an extension cord to it proved to be the cat's meow. The unit fired up, and went about doing what it was manufactured to do like nobody's business (my previous JD snowblower - even at 2HP more - would not have been able to hold a candle to this thing). two issues I had were as follows:
1. I thought I had read that the SB took 30wt oil, and that is what I had put in it. I lost the PDF user manual for it, when I had to format my system, which is why I called myself going from memory). Now, I have found that the unit takes 5-30wt oil instead. So, I will drain what's in there, and fill it with the proper oil.
2. The first hour of operation went just fine. Then, it shut down. restarting was not a problem, as long as it just sit. Once it put again under load, it shut down. It kept doing that, and I wound up retiring it to the garage. I wonder what might have caused that to happen, and hope someone might be able to shed some ideas on the matter.