Question for people who sell used blowers..... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 20Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 Old 02-05-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 40
Question for people who sell used blowers.....

Hi guys/gals,

I've been curious about something for a while,and I had a discussion the other day made me want to come here and ask a question.

For those who regularly sell used blowers and go so far as to repower them with Predator engines,what has been the customers' reaction to the Predator engines?

Most people recognize the names Briggs and Stratton and Tecumseh,but people not into small engines probably don't have any idea what a Predator is.When they see that the blower has a brand new engine on it,do they ask who Predator is,and when you tell them it's a $99 Chinese engine with a 90-day warranty do they seem concerned about that?

I ask because a guy came to my house the other day and happened to mention he was in the market for a small,used blower.I told him I would consider selling my Toro 521.

He appeared interested until he noticed the name Greyhound on the starter.He said,What the heck is a Greyhound?.As soon as I said Harbor Freight and then China,it was all over.

Of course I explained to him that all blower engines were now made in China and I don't think he believed any of that.I showed him what a great running engine it was and started it by pulling it over with my index finger.He WAS impressed with that,how quiet it was and that it only had about 40 hours on it,if that.In the end though,not being a Briggs or Tecumseh turned him off and he left without it,which really didn't hurt my feelings.

So,has anyone else had this happen?Myself,I would think that seeing a brand new engine sitting atop a used blower would be a deal maker and most customers wouldn't care who made it or where.Any negative reactions/no-sales due to the Predator?

Last edited by Mike C.; 02-05-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 02-05-2017, 10:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 69
My own blower has a WEN on the recoil that came from Harbor Freight, and I've repowered several blowers with either the WEN or Greyhound clones, but haven't sold them yet....I really think it wouldn't be a negative to have a clone, but rater a plus.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #3 of 73 Old 02-05-2017, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 68
Maybe telling home (Honda Clone) you would have had better luck. I have yet to throw a clone on a machine to sell. I have done some of china engines for customer repairs. Most of them want the same motor they had until they see some of the prices for a used Tec or Briggs.
post #4 of 73 Old 02-05-2017, 10:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 69
I did sell a Jacobsen to a man who had blown up the Tecumseh on his. I offered to repower his with a clone, but he balked at the idea, and said if I could find a good used Tecumseh, he would rather go that route even though twice the cost.
post #5 of 73 Old 02-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 216
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
said if I could find a good used Tecumseh, he would rather go that route even though twice the cost.
I would rather do that too, because sometimes "lowest cost" isnt the most important consideration..I would rather pay more for higher quality than pay less for lower quality.

Based on everything I have learned on this forum over the years, if I was shopping for a used snowblower, a re-power with a $99 predator would be an automatic "pass"...dont want it, will never want it. I will keep looking for a vintage machine with its original engine.

Scot
scrappy likes this.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JayzAuto1, Bob Cat liked this post
post #6 of 73 Old 02-05-2017, 12:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 36
I thought received positive feedback on HF Predator engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
I would rather do that too, because sometimes "lowest cost" isnt the most important consideration..I would rather pay more for higher quality than pay less for lower quality.

Based on everything I have learned on this forum over the years, if I was shopping for a used snowblower, a re-power with a $99 predator would be an automatic "pass"...dont want it, will never want it. I will keep looking for a vintage machine with its original engine.

Scot
I don't understand this, though I feel HF sells nothing but junk, I carefully choose what I buy there, being new to this board, I thought there was nothing but positive feedback from using the HF Predator engines. They are easy to start, have power, and several on here have been using them for a few years and often where they live.
post #7 of 73 Old 02-05-2017, 01:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 80
Likes (Received): 208
We all feel a little dirty promoting something made in China. We all feel a little dirty promoting something where the design and engineering was stolen from a respectable Japanese company. We all wish Tecumseh was still around manufacturing HSK engines in the good ole USA, but they’re gone. Some here refuse to support a Chonda for moral reasons.
I had a 7HP Tecumseh throw a rod running at spec RPM serviced to the proper level with clean oil. Stuff happens. $99 and a couple hours tinkering in the shop and it was not only a working machine again, but starts easier, runs quieter and throws the snow further than the Tecumseh L-head it replaced. I wish I could only shop at a local mom and pop business, but I find myself at Wal-Mart because it's cheaper and convenient.
Bror Jace likes this.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 73 Old 02-05-2017, 01:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 30
Likes (Received): 211
I have Found From Experience that a New Engine is a Big Selling Point on Otherwise Used Machines.
Likes gsnod liked this post
post #9 of 73 Old 02-05-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post

Based on everything I have learned on this forum over the years, if I was shopping for a used snowblower, a re-power with a $99 predator would be an automatic "pass"....

Scot
And what,specifically, have you learned here over the years that would make you pass on a Predator re-powered machine?Just about everything I've read here about the Predators has been very positive...

They haven't been around long enough to see how many years you can get out of one.My own Greyhound is on its 7th winter and still runs perfectly-I've done nothing but change the oil.

I'm certainly not knocking your personal opinion,Scott,and in a way,I also agree with you.I would rather have a nice Briggs or Tecumseh flathead on my Toro probably because I hate to see the death of old-school quality manufacturing.In my area though,in good shape,those engines are considered to be worth their weight in gold.I bought the Greyhound because I could afford it,and so far,I haven't regretted it.
43128 likes this.
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #10 of 73 Old 02-05-2017, 10:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 129
Likes (Received): 545
Very fortunate I didn't buy any snowblowers for this season. I never even had to use my blower this year. Lots of guys sitting on them.
I do have a nice few tillers though. It may never snow again but people are always planting gardens.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.

Toro 5/21
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24
Old green plastic snow shovel
Old quarry shovel for ice.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks FutureE9 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page