Do you blow out your neighbors? - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 11:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 30
Likes (Received): 6
I don't think I have ever just blown out my own driveway. Not many blowers on my street and several older couples. Last Monday morning we woke up to about 6-8 inches of snow. I got up at 4:45 instead of my normal 6am to clear out so I could get to work. By 6:45 I was back in the house after clearing my driveway, walkways, path to my shed and woodpile and 4 other driveways surrounding my property. I don't think my neighbours minded being woke up early on a snow day after seeing all their snow gone.

...and no, I've never been paid to clear out a driveway. I have received a 6-pack, wine, homemade cookies, etc. Bonus.

In the midst of another nor'easter right now. Supposed to continue through tonight into tomorrow... Between a foot and foot and a half is expected... Just bring it...!!!

Bob Cat and GregNL like this.

Ariens Platinum 30 SHO- AX414, 20.0 lb.ft torque.

Last edited by Blackstar; 02-13-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Video addition
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes wow08816 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 11:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 16
I did - once. We had about a foot and a half and my neighbor usually does his own. I saw his wife starting to shovel at the eod and I just finished mine so I went over. She said her husband hurt his back and couldn't use the machine so I just started doing it. After about two minutes she went back in the house and never came out again to thank me or offer to refuel me. I don't bother anymore.
43128 and Big gut like this.
post #13 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 12:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow08816 View Post
Agreed my blower is barely warmed up doing one drive.
Your snowblowers are warmed up within 1 minute of operation.
post #14 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 17
I feel for those with bad neighbors.

I generally don't hang around for a thank you. And I don't even speak to my neighbors or know their names. Did they appreciate my unsolicited help? They must have... Last year I sustained a serious back injury and am no longer able to perform any physical task other than walk. My neighbors all pitched in and shoveled my drive the entire winter season.

Last edited by wow08816; 02-14-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jesdog2 thanked for this post
Likes Blackstar liked this post
post #15 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 01:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 38
All my neighbors know I fix mowers and blowers on the side out of home but none of them but one does his own repairs. For maintenance or repairs they have an on site service or have a friend with a pickup truck bring their snowblower, mowers they use their car, to area repair shops. If they bring them to someone else and want me to blow for free, forget about it, I'm charging!

I have an 85 yr old woman, neighbor, I do and charge her. The neighbors are upset at me and say I should do it for free because she's old and doesn't have alot of money they say. She has her social security, her monthly pension, gets her husband's pension, house is paid off, taxes are locked in, and she must have substantial savings because her son, who lives here in town, comes to see her once a year to get a $10,000 annual trust payment from her. Why should I do it for free if she has the funds to pay? I have maintenance, wear and tear, repairs.
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #16 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 02:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
I don't unless I get paid. They don't do anything for me and just the opposite. When I had only one blower and it broke, I was out shoveling. Those with snowblowers did not come over, and they don't help others. Next door neighbor is 10 yrs younger, when I was 38 I did his sidewalk with my Gravely for 3 yrs for free, as a neighborly courtesy. I never got a thank you. Then it broke so I shoveled mine leaving his alone for him to do. We talked, he felt since I did his for 3 yrs I was obligated now to shovel to his. Now I almost always do mine before he does his. He throws his snow on to mine. I clear my parking spaces along the curb, he throws snow there. His children play ball, throwing it against my house because it's higher than his and has no windows. He says I can't ask his kids to stop because they are not my kids, but it's my house! Doesn't matter, it's not your kids. I've gone out 50 times in an hour or two, kids walk away, I walk inside, they walk back. My wife told me not to call the police. We have dozens of broken shingles besides broken windows on the front, broken bird bath, shrubs crushed.
You need to man up and quit being a beta male. They're damaging your freakin' house and you just sit there and take it? Call the police and have them trespassed officially for starters.
43128 likes this.
post #17 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 17
I feel sad for anybody that has to pay $10K their child just to visit them. My guess is that if she doesn't pay, she doesn't get to see her grand children. My next door neighbor has a pair of "boys" (50ish) that are the same way. They only come around if there is money to be had or to admonish their mom for spending her money (like repairing the leaking roof). Time, kindness and contact to an old person are more important than money.
Likes jesdog2 liked this post
post #18 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 02:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I help some of my neighbors. When I am out of town, one of them will do my route. I hit about three to four neighbor driveways. There are those though that like the sound of shovel's. I kid you not, the one neighbor was like "hear that, thats the sound of shovels" well ok then, enjoy shoveling the wet snow as I'll skip past you. So there are a few out there.

As for the others, they paid for my new new auger gear box when it went after ten years (hit too many papers and such). All the others gift something, say thank you or give gas money. If they snarl, I don't help them.
post #19 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 02:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettck View Post
You need to man up and quit being a beta male. They're damaging your freakin' house and you just sit there and take it? Call the police and have them trespassed officially for starters.
I have a wife that says don't call, you don't want to have problems. I tell her we already have problems. They have 7 cars with kids cars and they park completely in front of our house, no room for our guests, plus we can't see driving forward out of our driveway. When there's a dead end next to our house they can use plus they can park across the street from their house as there's an empty lot. When they broke our front picture window, I knocked on the door, the parents mother and father were there, told them their grandchildren broke my picture window. The father came over when he got home and threaten me physically if I ever talked to his parents or his children ever again. Little did he know that I have had years of experience in MMA and am very proficient in self defense, boxing, krav maga, judo, BJJ, jui juitsu, jeet kun do, Kali, silat, been a training partner for several UFC fighters, served in special forces in Nam. I don't want to fight because I'm scared I might kill, or flip out and kill. Getting hit does not bother me, plus I have a very high pain tolerance. With all this said, my wife said we had planned to update and replace the window. So this sped things up rather than spending $200 for just the glass. I put plastic up, ordered the window, a month later I put it in. And the funny thing, ordered it from Home Depot where he works in the window dept! Got no discount of course nor did he offer his employees discount. This is where my wife wanted to go. We've been together 30 yrs, sometimes keeping peace is too much of an insult and suck up.
post #20 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 07:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 29
Do you blow out your neighbors?

4 of the 5 surrounding houses around me have been purchased by women over the last 3-5 years. The only one I blow for is the 89 year old across the street and a widow next to her on occasion.They offer me money every time but I won't accept a nickel. The rest have teenage kids that could use the exercise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 Ariens Deluxe 27 (921012)
250cc B&S (1150 ft lbs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page