Do you blow out your neighbors? - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 Old 02-13-2017, 11:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 14
My neighborhood sphere of snowclearing influence has expanded some this year, from four to seven driveways. Most neighbors are seniors or older. All are happy to shovel when they can. But we got a lot of extra snow this year, so the biggest parts of their drives and walks were cleared.

Meanwhile, we have a hard-charging but sometimes bitter woman around the corner who's determined to not need any male help, to the point where she waved me off when I started doing at least the EOD berm as I went by. Allll rrrrighttt... A few days later another foot, and then two more, and more after that. The piles are big, hard shoveling after a bit, and there's a hand-shoveled path barely wide enough to get her car in and out. We'll host a whole-neighborhood gathering and feed everybody later in April. I can't wait to hear all about it.

My hope is that there's some pay-it-forward credit racking up somewhere. When I'm not up to the job anymore, here's hoping somebody will do this stuff for us.

----

A house a couple blocks away sold recently. The new owners are retiring transplants from warm country (SF Bay Area), but found the previous owners' little 18" two-stroke Toro single stage machine in the garage. He spent an hour (I learned later) or more trying to get it started, finally did, and walked around the four other houses on his circle clearing everyone's snow for them. Way to make a good impression on the neighborhood! But not a peep from any of them so far, even just to welcome them as new owners. Kinda makes you wonder sometimes. He told me he saw me shuttling around doing my neighbors' places and thought that everybody with a machine just took care of everybody else.
Blackstar likes this.

Husqy ST227P for 2015 snow season.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jesdog2, Blackstar liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 02-14-2017, 12:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
My Ariens ST724 didn't want to start this year (I ended up re-powering with Predator 212 and selling to my dad). My elderly neighbor just bought a nice Ariens from another neighbor who moved away. He called me over one day so that I could show him how to use it. He now has declined to the point where he can barely move. We have a very good relationship.

Since my own unit didn't start, I asked to borrow his. While I was at it, I cleaned out his drive and the neighbor beyond him (a younger fella). Since then, the younger fella also borrows it, and cleans out all three of ours.

I haven't used a snow thrower but one time all season. It's a bummer but I have been busy working 6 days a week and have been happy to come home to a clean drive.

I have good neighbors all around. And a lot of them know that I am the neighborhood small engine repairman. As a result, I get plenty of work from my own neighborhood and I do charge a fair price.

Bolens 824 (re-powered with Briggs and Stratton 14.5GT snow engine)
1982 John Deere M00826X 489852 (Backup machine)
post #23 of 39 Old 02-14-2017, 03:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
All my neighbors know I fix mowers and blowers on the side out of home but none of them but one does his own repairs. For maintenance or repairs they have an on site service or have a friend with a pickup truck bring their snowblower, mowers they use their car, to area repair shops. If they bring them to someone else and want me to blow for free, forget about it, I'm charging!

I have an 85 yr old woman, neighbor, I do and charge her. The neighbors are upset at me and say I should do it for free because she's old and doesn't have alot of money they say. She has her social security, her monthly pension, gets her husband's pension, house is paid off, taxes are locked in, and she must have substantial savings because her son, who lives here in town, comes to see her once a year to get a $10,000 annual trust payment from her. Why should I do it for free if she has the funds to pay? I have maintenance, wear and tear, repairs.

It is called character, respect, maturity, and common sense. That is why you should not charge some old widow.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes wow08816 liked this post
post #24 of 39 Old 02-14-2017, 06:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 16
Many of the people in our neighborhood have snow blowers. However, there are a few older folks who are not able and we don't see that often. So, we all lend a hand in blowing out their driveways, clearing the snow bank at their mailbox, etc.

For those who don't have snow blowers, someone is always willing to blow out their driveway. The guy next door had his blower break, so I offered him my extra machine. If someone is away, and it snows, they will usually come home to a clean driveway.

That's just the way it is where I live.

Regards, Ted
Current Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
post #25 of 39 Old 02-14-2017, 09:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 14
I used to do an awful lot of things for free and got nothing for it except yelled out by my wife for being a sucker and used. I want to be appreciated and am not so I stopped. My wife says I do too much for free, that I'm too nice.

I have a friend who I bike with. When he and his go to Florida or wherever for a couple of weeks I drive the 2 miles and open his garage, get his snowblower out, and do his sidewalk, sometimes his driveway. But this is rare as it doesn't seem to snow in for those 2 weeks he's away in February. I'm glad to do it as if I need to borrow his SUV to bring home a used blower I bought, he will, for a tank of gas. Fine.
post #26 of 39 Old 02-15-2017, 02:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
It is called character, respect, maturity, and common sense. That is why you should not charge some old widow.
It depends. What kind of person is she? She sure sounds like she could easily throw a $20 his way once a winter for gas. At least make an EFFORT. "Character, respect, maturity and common sense" goes both ways. If Bubba goes first, I sure as heck wouldn't clear old widow Hillary's driveway...
post #27 of 39 Old 02-16-2017, 02:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 116
At 80 years old, you'll be lucky if you remember everything that you do right now.
post #28 of 39 Old 02-16-2017, 11:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Likes (Given): 38
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
Some people are offended when you won't take money. I help people with their berms and they try to pay me and I say I offered so we are square. Or I tell them I am an old boy scout and am supposed to do good turns daily.

When they offer food, candy, beer , and wine , I gladly accept that.

what goes around comes around
post #29 of 39 Old 02-16-2017, 11:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Likes (Given): 38
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big gut View Post
Our neighborhood has a saying - "We help out during emergencys, but not for maintenance" We have to. It's easy to get into trouble here. Our area was recently pounded with heavy snowfall. I'd guess about 8 ft over two weeks. I cleared driveways, multiple times, for 2 women, each living alone and trying to hand shovel. Both are new to the area and thought shoveling snow would be fun, even though, I had explained to them that they needed either a sno blower or clearing service.

Now, whenever they hear my blower start, they each come outside, grab a shovel, and stare at me. So, if it's a foot or more, I help. If not, they shovel.

That's funny. I live in the same area and I do the same thing. In emergencies, yes , we help. Some people expect it after awhile.

A neighbor moved in next door from the Bay area and I helped him with his berm a couple times when I saw him shovelling. Then when he heard my machine he would come out with his shovel, haha

I told him if he lived up here he needed a blower. He finally got a used one and I guess he didn't know what to look for because it broke after 2 tries.

Maybe i will help him , maybe not. My experience with rich Bay Area types hasn't been the greatest.

what goes around comes around
post #30 of 39 Old 02-16-2017, 12:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Received): 21
Garage
There's a few neighbor's I would like to blow out of the neighborhood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page