Do you blow out your neighbors? - Page 4 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 Old 02-16-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 15
Perhaps I at a different a stage in my life than others.

But when I see someone shoveling a heavy snow fall, I simply head over with my blower (regardless of whether I'm outside or not). The make of their car, the size of their house, or the fact that they have a built in $10K Viking outdoor grill and I've never been invited to a BBQ doesn't come into play.

Lending a hand is just that... aid with no strings attached. I have a blower and they don't. I don't care for the reasons why. Its takes up "n" minutes of my time (that I would otherwise wasted watching more TV), some $ in gas and a little more wear and tear on my blower. So what? It just means I can upgrade to that "new and improved" snow blower sooner. And I love new stuff!

I'm not a good samaritan or trying earn points with anybody. This is just one of the very rare opportunities when I have something that somebody else doesn't. And I choose to share.

Does it bother me that some neighbors see me as the local blower guy and expect help? Quite the opposite.
detdrbuzzard and Bob Cat like this.

Last edited by wow08816; 02-16-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, craquer liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 02-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
When they offer food, candy, beer , and wine , I gladly accept that.
Agreed, my wife and I live in a great neighborhood and very lucky to have been part of it for the past 30 years. Our property bylaws requires that we all have minimum one acre lots to build, so ample space and big driveways. This is a place where we make our own candies for Halloween, our own maple syrup and we all like having a good party. I could go on for ever on this subject… did I say I was very lucky?

In regards to snow removal, neighbors and I prefer using the scoop, shovel and we will if we can. But sometimes we just need a bit of help, I own the snow blower, sometimes I help the neighbors, sometimes they borrow the snow blower, no need to ask to borrow it. We also share the maintenance of a homemade skating ring. I think my neighbors and I share a simple view of life: enjoy life and sharing makes it even better.
orangputeh likes this.
post #33 of 44 Old 02-16-2017, 01:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow08816 View Post
I live in an enclosed 155 residence community with 3/4 acre lots and 3000' sq. ft. plus houses. And about 1/4 of the residents have snow blowers. Clearing out your walk and drive is typically a 20 minute exercise. What strikes me as odd is how is the typical property line behavior of my neighbors. What do I mean? I have a couple of neighbors (2 blocks away) who apparently disagree on where their actual property line lies. So in snow season there is always a 3 foot patch of snow separating their properties (even though they both have snow blowers). In the spring, it will be a 3 foot wide patch of troll grass.

There are 3 snow blower owners on my street and I am the only one who blows out other home owners drives/walks (on my block). My non-snow blower neighbors all have front facing drives. So blowing couldn't be easier. I live near the end of a cul-de-sac. So I typically take my blower for a walk down around the cul-de-sac and back across the other side of the street (clearing driveways as I go). So I typically do about 6 houses in addition to mine. It just seems odd and selfish the snow blower behavior in my neighborhood. Don't they realize that you don't get your money's value thru such infrequent use?
I used to for payment as I do snow removal, but we no longer have time to do our neighbors, I have accounts I have to get to immediately. Plus around here in N.J. I don't like most of my neighbors.
Bob Cat likes this.

Dual stage
1971 Ariens Sno-Thro 7/24 Tecumseh H70 (Backup unit)
1971 Ariens Sno-Thro 32 wide Predator 212cc (2nd unit)
2002 Snapper 8246 (Series 6) Tecumseh HMSK80 (Main unit)
Single stage
1985 SnowChamp by Aircap 3hp, 20" single stage, 2 cycle Tecumseh AH600, air-vane snow director (primary single stage)
2001 Craftsman 5hp, 21" single stage, 2 cycle Tecumseh HSK850 (secondary single stage)
2006 Craftsman 5hp, 22" single stage 4 cycle Briggs platinum L head engine (backup single stage)
post #34 of 44 Old 02-17-2017, 12:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow08816 View Post
Lending a hand is just that... aid with no strings attached. I have a blower and they don't. I don't care for the reasons why. Its takes up "n" minutes of my time (that I would otherwise wasted watching more TV), some $ in gas and a little more wear and tear on my blower. So what? It just means I can upgrade to that "new and improved" snow blower sooner. And I love new stuff!
That's how I feel most of the time. I bought a old machine in serious need of TLC, even after the amount of time and money I put into it I don't baby it when I'm doing my driveway or a neighbours. I bought it to use and abuse. If that means something breaks at times so be it. It's a snowblower, not a luxury car or antique. I might cringe a little more sucking up rocks or chunks of asphalt, like I've already done, if I had a brand new Yamaha but I don't.

I've met more of my neighbours this week digging out of the 71cm/68" of snow we had this week over 3 days and it's been great. One thing I've taken from reading these threads is to ask if they need or want help. Some people enjoy using their machines just like I do. The lady across the street usually shovels. I talked to her for the first time and asked if she wanted me to do hers but she was content shoveling until about an hour later she flagged me down on my way back from helping someone else up the street whom I just met and had a great conversation with. He knew Yamaha meant business, much like Honda, and he knew what a junk snowblower was and pointed out those that had them, lol. He was okay with paying in cash or beer as he's paid neighbours in the past, I said don't worry about it as he had the majority of it done by the time I arrived. I also got a good sense of who's who around me during our conversation. One has a large loader, as he works at snow clearing this time of year and digs out his drive and one next to him.

Since helping out the neighbour to the side of me several times, the neighbour across the street from her digs her out now which is very cool of him! Paying it forward I suppose. At one point when most everyone was out shoveling or snowblowing I noticed the majority were stopped watching me with my Yamaha in action, lol. It was a fun day and I got to met a lot of people but they also realize I can't help everyone that has a shovel in their hand either but if they came and asked I'd oblige.

YAMAHA YS624 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 44 Old 02-17-2017, 01:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
I used to have a neighbor who was 70 years old, and a much earlier riser than me. Lots of times I'd get up and find out he'd already used his snowblower on my driveway. It was nice, though I was perfectly able to clear the moderately sized driveway myself. I made it clear that any time he needed a favor, all he needed to do was ask. But he never did.

In my current neighborhood, everyone either has a plow service or is vigorous enough to shovel. A neighbor of mine used to get plowed in, before he got the snowplow service, so I'd get rid of the big snowbank so he could go to work and shovel when he got home. He was very appreciative for that and a couple of other favors, so I know I have someone to ask if I need something. I guess I live in a pretty good neighborhood, as the other neighbors shovel around the fire hydrant.

I'm on a corner lot, so I have 150 feet or so of sidewalk to deal with, that gets plowed in. So that's usually enough for me. Many other sidewalks don't get shoveled out, but I think it's improving. The biggest problem is the huge piles of snow the plows leave at street corners. I think this time it was only 4 or 5 feet high on our corner, so eventually I got it done. If it gets high enough, I admit I give up.
post #36 of 44 Old 02-17-2017, 03:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 129
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 390
Likes (Received): 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblg43 View Post
...I haven't used a snow thrower but one time all season.
Isn't it funny, I'm straight across Lake Michigan from you, separated by what...40-50 miles and I've already cleared close to 130" so far...and that's down a bit from normal years.

Strange what a body of water can do.

1991 Honda HS828TAS (tracked) - 1st gen hydrostatic – Oct 1991
2016 Honda HSS1332ATD (tracked) - 1st gen US assembled two-stage – Nov 2015
post #37 of 44 Old 02-17-2017, 03:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 129
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 390
Likes (Received): 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
There's a few neighbor's I would like to blow out of the neighborhood.
There should be a LOL button next to "Like this post"

1991 Honda HS828TAS (tracked) - 1st gen hydrostatic – Oct 1991
2016 Honda HSS1332ATD (tracked) - 1st gen US assembled two-stage – Nov 2015
post #38 of 44 Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 6
I recommend against snowblowing on anyone else's property without express permission from the owner/tenant to do so. You may think you are doing them a favor, but that isn't always the case.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prime liked this post
post #39 of 44 Old 02-19-2017, 11:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 8
Yes, the water does change things a bit. I am right between Green Bay (the water, not the city) and Lake Michigan. We watch a storm coming over Wisconsin toward us but when it hits the waters of Green Bay, it usually changes to something else or dies down.

Bolens 824 (re-powered with Briggs and Stratton 14.5GT snow engine)
1982 John Deere M00826X 489852 (Backup machine)
post #40 of 44 Old 02-28-2017, 03:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big gut View Post
Our neighborhood has a saying - "We help out during emergencys, but not for maintenance" We have to. It's easy to get into trouble here. Our area was recently pounded with heavy snowfall. I'd guess about 8 ft over two weeks. I cleared driveways, multiple times, for 2 women, each living alone and trying to hand shovel. Both are new to the area and thought shoveling snow would be fun, even though, I had explained to them that they needed either a sno blower or clearing service.

Now, whenever they hear my blower start, they each come outside, grab a shovel, and stare at me. So, if it's a foot or more, I help. If not, they shovel.
You've got them trained like Pavlov's dogs.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prime liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page