LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 15
Do you blow out your neighbors?

I live in an enclosed 155 residence community with 3/4 acre lots and 3000' sq. ft. plus houses. And about 1/4 of the residents have snow blowers. Clearing out your walk and drive is typically a 20 minute exercise. What strikes me as odd is how is the typical property line behavior of my neighbors. What do I mean? I have a couple of neighbors (2 blocks away) who apparently disagree on where their actual property line lies. So in snow season there is always a 3 foot patch of snow separating their properties (even though they both have snow blowers). In the spring, it will be a 3 foot wide patch of troll grass.

There are 3 snow blower owners on my street and I am the only one who blows out other home owners drives/walks (on my block). My non-snow blower neighbors all have front facing drives. So blowing couldn't be easier. I live near the end of a cul-de-sac. So I typically take my blower for a walk down around the cul-de-sac and back across the other side of the street (clearing driveways as I go). So I typically do about 6 houses in addition to mine. It just seems odd and selfish the snow blower behavior in my neighborhood. Don't they realize that you don't get your money's value thru such infrequent use?

Last edited by wow08816; 02-13-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 09:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 391
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 232
Likes (Received): 476
I do my neighbors just because when I am done with mine it is just getting good and warmed up. that and I have have to much time on my hands. also.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes wow08816 liked this post
post #3 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Agreed my blower is barely warmed up doing one drive.
post #4 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
I do the same i'll spend 30 min. doing mine, and usually i'll blow the plow bank to help them out. Had my neighbor in front try my SB last week and he went out and bought one just like it ( lol ). Luv spending that extra time outside.
post #5 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 36
I don't unless I get paid. They don't do anything for me and just the opposite. When I had only one blower and it broke, I was out shoveling. Those with snowblowers did not come over, and they don't help others. Next door neighbor is 10 yrs younger, when I was 38 I did his sidewalk with my Gravely for 3 yrs for free, as a neighborly courtesy. I never got a thank you. Then it broke so I shoveled mine leaving his alone for him to do. We talked, he felt since I did his for 3 yrs I was obligated now to shovel to his. Now I almost always do mine before he does his. He throws his snow on to mine. I clear my parking spaces along the curb, he throws snow there. His children play ball, throwing it against my house because it's higher than his and has no windows. He says I can't ask his kids to stop because they are not my kids, but it's my house! Doesn't matter, it's not your kids. I've gone out 50 times in an hour or two, kids walk away, I walk inside, they walk back. My wife told me not to call the police. We have dozens of broken shingles besides broken windows on the front, broken bird bath, shrubs crushed.
post #6 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It is unfortunate you have such crappy neighbors. I am blessed in that there is only one butt plug that resides on my street. And even more fortunate that they do not live next door.
post #7 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 11:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 14
I only moved into my neighbourhood a year ago, the yammie wasn't running yet, so all last season I had to shovel. The adjacent neighbour on my side has a snowblower, another 2 houses down purchased one this year I believe, and the neighbour across the street has one also yet no one helps anyone else except me, I don't really get it.

I'm here eager for a bit of snow to go out and have some fun plus feel good helping out someone in need and if anything see a smile on their face and hear a kind hearted thank you. If they want to pay for a $6 tank of gas well all the better but I'm not looking to make money nor am I asking for handouts. I guess it comes down to if I do one I have to do them all mindset and you're the bad guy if you help one person and not the other. I seen one guy two houses up last time digging out for an hour or more stopping at times, watching me while taking a break, perhaps a look of anticipation that I'll roll up the street and end his misery from the last storm. I would have but I was busy doing mine, my adjacent neighbour with a large driveway and only a shovel then it was loading up the Element to dig out family and friends. Guess who's getting a hand next time, that guy!

YAMAHA YS624 |

Last edited by GregNL; 02-13-2017 at 11:09 AM.
post #8 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 11:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 129
Likes (Received): 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
I don't unless I get paid. They don't do anything for me and just the opposite. When I had only one blower and it broke, I was out shoveling. Those with snowblowers did not come over, and they don't help others. Next door neighbor is 10 yrs younger, when I was 38 I did his sidewalk with my Gravely for 3 yrs for free, as a neighborly courtesy. I never got a thank you. Then it broke so I shoveled mine leaving his alone for him to do. We talked, he felt since I did his for 3 yrs I was obligated now to shovel to his. Now I almost always do mine before he does his. He throws his snow on to mine. I clear my parking spaces along the curb, he throws snow there. His children play ball, throwing it against my house because it's higher than his and has no windows. He says I can't ask his kids to stop because they are not my kids, but it's my house! Doesn't matter, it's not your kids. I've gone out 50 times in an hour or two, kids walk away, I walk inside, they walk back. My wife told me not to call the police. We have dozens of broken shingles besides broken windows on the front, broken bird bath, shrubs crushed.
Nobody can use you for a floor mat without your permission. As a property owner and homeowner you have rights. Use them. Video the little bundles of joy who are bouncing balls off your house and let Daddy know you will turn it into the authorities if you have to. There is absolutely no excuse for this behaviour.

I blow out my neighbors but I feel under 0 obligation to do it. If I don't feel like doing it I don't. But... actually, I do feel a little obligated. .. they are mostly all older than I and one just had a hip replacement and has bad ankles also. Something else I think about it that one day I may be the one who needs help.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.

Toro 5/21
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24
Old green plastic snow shovel
Old quarry shovel for ice.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #9 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 11:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 76
Boy... it is amazing to me... how LAZY people are in this world.

PRIORITIES... If you buy a house, you have to maintain it. It does not happen by itself. People do not say thank you for doing a good deed for them? UNREAL!

A 3' area is left between neighbors properties? Are you kidding me? Again I say... how lazy are people in this world?

I am getting older every year just like everyone else. Things are getting just... a little harder to do every year. But the snow isn't getting any lighter, just heavier. As I posted in another thread, my neighbors putt putt broke last week and he couldn't clear his property and he started clearing by shoveling. I told him not to bust his kielbasa and that I would take care of it. And he is 10 plus years older then me. I had to help him. The next day I couldn't get enough thank you's from them. What was I going to do, not help him and make him break his back clearing? No way. You do things that you have to do. Did I really want to do it, no. I was beat and tired as it was. Plus I usually go over on to their property to clear any way. But one thing I did not do doing that storm was go over to the next property. I was just too **** tired and you just can not do everyone's property. But I did help my neighbor on the opposite side.

Kids throwing a ball up against my house? Are you kidding? You bet the cops would have been called, that is... if it even needed to be done.
post #10 of 44 Old 02-13-2017, 11:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Our neighborhood has a saying - "We help out during emergencys, but not for maintenance" We have to. It's easy to get into trouble here. Our area was recently pounded with heavy snowfall. I'd guess about 8 ft over two weeks. I cleared driveways, multiple times, for 2 women, each living alone and trying to hand shovel. Both are new to the area and thought shoveling snow would be fun, even though, I had explained to them that they needed either a sno blower or clearing service.

Now, whenever they hear my blower start, they each come outside, grab a shovel, and stare at me. So, if it's a foot or more, I help. If not, they shovel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page