LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-14-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 16
Plastic lining in chute

Since I am doing a complete overhaul on my Ariens,I started thinking, is it worth the trouble to put in 1/16 plastic lining in the chute like the yamaha has, Does it help that much or is it just a slight upgrade. I would LOVE to be able to put the snow on the other side of the street when clearing the sidewalk LOL, But will the lining really help in distance or is it more to just stop the wet stuff from sticking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-14-2017, 11:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 26
I think it will help stop rust, and stop snow from sticking. There is a recent thread about the material to use. I believe that UHMW is recommended.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-14-2017, 11:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Since I am doing a complete overhaul on my Ariens,I started thinking, is it worth the trouble to put in 1/16 plastic lining in the chute like the yamaha has, Does it help that much or is it just a slight upgrade. I would LOVE to be able to put the snow on the other side of the street when clearing the sidewalk LOL, But will the lining really help in distance or is it more to just stop the wet stuff from sticking.
The stock Yamaha's have closer to a 1/8" formed piece of Teflon for the chute, the 1028 and 1332 have about a 1/4" piece lining the impeller housing also.

I used a 1/16" sheet of UHMW plastic during my rebuild for several reasons. First, it will protect the paint and metal from premature damage and rusting; it most definitely prevents snow and ice build up, especially after the type of sticky snow we had today, my chute remained perfectly clear after several hours of heavy use; due to the ultra low friction properties and added abrasion resistance of both Teflon and UHMW it most definitely aids in snow evacuation and increased throwing distance but by how much I cannot say. I can certainly see a distinct snow pattern when turning the chute side to side created by the plastic liner when shooting straight up. The benefits outweigh any reason not to install it. The hardest part is fitting a template and cutting it to shape in the plastic sheet. Increasing the distance is best gained by an impeller modification either with a liner to reduce clearance or zero clearance extensions on the impeller itself. Good Luck!

YAMAHA YS624 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 21 Old 02-15-2017, 12:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 6
Of course "stopping the wet stuff from sticking" would go a long way toward improving distance. And, in my opinion, is more important than distance. I think the answer comes in your evaluating your machine. If snow is sticking to the chute, your effectiveness is being impacted and there's several things you can do including a chute lining. If on the other hand, your chute's not clogging improving the chute is of little consequence in terms of distance..

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-15-2017 at 12:12 AM.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-15-2017, 07:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 182
Improving the Chute is of LARGE Consequence. Chute Upgrade on 10000 series is like Night and Day for Throwing Distance.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-15-2017, 08:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregNL View Post
The stock Yamaha's have closer to a 1/8" formed piece of Teflon for the chute, the 1028 and 1332 have about a 1/4" piece lining the impeller housing also.

I used a 1/16" sheet of UHMW plastic during my rebuild for several reasons. First, it will protect the paint and metal from premature damage and rusting; it most definitely prevents snow and ice build up, especially after the type of sticky snow we had today, my chute remained perfectly clear after several hours of heavy use; due to the ultra low friction properties and added abrasion resistance of both Teflon and UHMW it most definitely aids in snow evacuation and increased throwing distance but by how much I cannot say. I can certainly see a distinct snow pattern when turning the chute side to side created by the plastic liner when shooting straight up. The benefits outweigh any reason not to install it. The hardest part is fitting a template and cutting it to shape in the plastic sheet. Increasing the distance is best gained by an impeller modification either with a liner to reduce clearance or zero clearance extensions on the impeller itself. Good Luck!
Where did you purchase the sheet of material?

Husqvarna ST330T
post #7 of 21 Old 02-15-2017, 08:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
Improving the Chute is of LARGE Consequence. Chute Upgrade on 10000 series is like Night and Day for Throwing Distance.
Jackmels, you're emphatic and obviously knowledgeable on what you say so I'd appreciate your helping me out with this because I'm not familiar with 10000 series chutes. What is it about these chutes that make them so susceptible to sticking snow that adding a liner would always make a substantial improvement?
post #8 of 21 Old 02-15-2017, 08:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 14
You can Google it, you can order online from Walmart, Home Depot, many plastic places even locally, Grainger's. It's polyethylene, very common, even comes in colors though white is the most common, black next. You can get it in different widths, sheets, as tape, and with an adhesive backing. You may be able to attach it with a contact cement or construction adhesive but generally best would be attached with #6 stainless machine screws using washers and torque nuts or similar.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-15-2017, 08:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 182
Your Quote "improving the chute is of little consequence in terms of distance" is Incorrect. Anyone who Mods their Own equipment Knows this.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-15-2017, 09:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
Your Quote "improving the chute is of little consequence in terms of distance" is Incorrect. Anyone who Mods their Own equipment Knows this.
Jackmels, I certainly don't mind being quoted and say plenty of things that are incorrect, but I don't like someone taking only part of what I said to give the impression I'm incorrect and then criticize me for it.

What I said was:
If on the other hand, your chute's not clogging improving the chute is of little consequence in terms of distance.

The concept I was trying to make is entirely correct: if the chute is not a problem, correcting it will be of little consequence. And note that the original question concerned degree of improvement so what I said is entirely correct.

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-15-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page