LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
15 year old Ariens vs new Toro

My dad gave me his 2001 Ariens 824 model 932101 to sell on Craigslist since he doesn't need it any more. He has been "somewhat" maintaining it (running it dry of gas after the season, but had only changed the oil a couple of times, and don't think he has changed the spark plug or greased anything). It was used every winter but being in NJ I would say on average of 5 times a year.

I have a 2015 Toro Power Max 724OE 37775 which I purchased at the end of 2015 and used a total of 3 times.

I am debating whether to keep his Ariens for myself and sell my Toro instead, or just sell the Ariens. I basically need it for cleaning a 25'x35' driveway.

Which would you recommend keeping, and what is a reasonable selling price for one or the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 12:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 117
The amount of maintenance your father did is just fine, it does not need an oil change and tune up every year with that little use. While I am not a fan of the plastic Toro's, I'd go ahead and hang onto yours and sell your pop's machine. I'd say.. ask.. $600 for it.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 19
I'm on the keep-the-Ariens side. The 932101 is an excellent machine - lightweight and powerful. After 12 years of heavy use doing three properties per storm per year, I only recently
had to have one of the auger bearings replaced. It's also extremely easy to maneuver. I like the Tecumseh on it as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2106_2.jpg (308.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2116_2.jpg (230.3 KB, 40 views)
43128 likes this.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 62
That's tough one . I own a 1969 ariens that I put a 9hp briggs on and a toro 926 hd The toro is a monster compaired to the old ariens (seems to have more power)and throw the snow a good 15 ft further. Also I ran the toro in 2'' of slush and it did not clogg like the old ariens would or them new honda's. The only thing I don't care about my toro is the safety's. I am so use to no safety's on the 69. I would keep them both of them and try them side by side and then make up your own mind
detdrbuzzard likes this.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #5 of 12 Old 02-16-2017, 07:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 45
run em both during the next snow event and you will get your answer. Both good machines. Personally Id sell both and get a new Toro Snowmaster and do the job in half the time.
ultimatejimmy likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-16-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks all. The reason I'm leaning towards the Ariens is because of a bigger auger and impeller size, and the fact that the Tecumseh was a US made engine.

Any issues with the brigs on the Toros? I guess for NJ snow (typically under 20") the smaller Toro would still be sufficient. I do like the quick stick adjustment and the ability to control the height.

I did not use both side by side since I don't have room to keep 2 in the garage so my Toro was in the shed. When I used the Ariens it threw further, felt more solid, and I was able to start it with 2 pulls (took more on the Toro last year, maybe because the Ariens was started a few months ago when my dad was trying to sell it and put some gas in).

If I was to sell the Toro - what would be a reasonable price to get for it?

Judging by other threads here I probably won't get more than 350-400 for the Ariens.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 06:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 62
$150 less than what you paid for it since you only used it 3 time's. Most likely you will need a good storm to sell it this time of yr. Also make sure a buyer does not see the old ariens.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #8 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 08:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 21
I'd keep them both! You can never have too many snowblowers!
RIT333 likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 09:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 524SWE View Post
I'd keep them both! You can never have too many snowblowers!
Hah, I'm leaning this direction. lol

The ariens is at an age where you might be looking at some additional maintenance such as friction disk replacement, valve lash adjustment, impeller bearing replacement, belts...

These may be currently needed repairs or future stuff. You should inspect these areas and decide if it's within your mechanical ability as well.

The toro has the best chute control around, with a modern, more powerful, quieter ohv engine and is virtually clog proof.

Tough call. Personally Ive been wanting to take a sturdy ariens like that and slap on a gx390, impeller kit and New directional snow tires.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 01:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 117
If you say the blower rarely got used, then I doubt any of those things need attention. Save for maybe the belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page