Snowblower Forum banner

Snowblower ?

9K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  Mike C. 
#1 ·
Which snowblower make and model would be your perfect snowblower?

#3 ·
I hope I have it for me, Ariens ST1027LE with auto turn kit and ball bearing mod on skids

#4 ·
I've been partial to Toro . . . probably a 724 model. I do like the maneuverability of the older 521's

Are you asking because you are in the process of buying, or just a curiosity?

#8 · (Edited)
My imaginary blower... cross breed Ariens construction, Honda performance, EGO 9.5HP electric engine, Husqvarna adjustable handles, 2Kwh of battery cells and a Tesla style charging port.

Otherwise a Honda HSS928ATD will do for my needs.

#9 ·
Any Yamaha or Honda track drive, but "without" the tear drop auger housing!!!! The conventional rectangular or square faces housing allows dummys like me to go right up to the steps without chewing into them. The first time I used my Yamaha 624, I "discovered" the front porch steps, back porch steps, deck steps, main entry steps, and that if I lift up on the handles to shift the blower over a little bit the auger bites into the deck! After the "Big Melt" my wife was outside and noticed things, Oh The Horror! In defense of the blower, it never gave any indication it was chewing solids, it just did its thing, very aggressively :(

#13 ·
Cool info about the Tesla distance vs energy usage :)

I should point out that my #'s are based on providing that actual power output, like 6hp for a half hour. That's not the same as saying operating a 6hp blower for a half hour.

Most of the time, our machines don't have the throttles fully open, producing their full 8hp, 10hp, whatever. Your 8hp machine might only be outputting 4hp much of the time, if you were clearing lighter snow. And less when you're turning around, backing up, etc.

Now, if you're constantly bogging down the engine, then yeah, you're hopefully getting the full 8hp from your 8hp engine, if the governor is working properly. In that case, if using 8hp constantly, you'd be using about 6kWh to run for 1 hour. (1hp is 745W, so providing 1hp for 1 hour is 0.745kWh)

#15 ·
Because I don't have so much to clear, and not much storage room, 24" wide is OK. Probably a newer version of my 2008 Ariens 24" 2 stage. I just don't know if I would want fuel injection. Ease of starting & the other advantages sound good, but I keep stuff forever if I can, and I wonder if it would get expensive to let 1 of those grow old.

#19 ·
my toro ccr 2450e and ccr 3650e is perfect for what I need them to do
my toro 521's are perfect for what I need them to do
my toro powershift xl824 is perfect for what I need it to do

#21 ·
I pretty much already have my dream team:

The 1962 Ariens in the center i'm not using in the regular rotation, but it is fully functional.
The two 1971's will likely last me the rest of my life..no real need for anything else.

But! since we are dreaming here..If I could build my ultimate snowblower, I would build this:

The height of 1970's USA-built technology.
(and arguably, the height of USA-built quality)
Wheel Horse tractor, with a hydro trans, big 2-stage snowblower, and a cab.
doesn't get much better than that!

And while we are on the topic, check out the ultimate lawn mower! I just love this thing:

Ford Select-O-Speed Lawnmower

of course, I don't have a property where such a thing could be used! ;) but that's not the point.

Scot

#26 ·
I pretty much already have my dream team:

The 1962 Ariens in the center i'm not using in the regular rotation, but it is fully functional.
The two 1971's will likely last me the rest of my life..no real need for anything else.

But! since we are dreaming here..If I could build my ultimate snowblower, I would build this:

The height of 1970's USA-built technology.
(and arguably, the height of USA-built quality)
Wheel Horse tractor, with a hydro trans, big 2-stage snowblower, and a cab.
doesn't get much better than that!

And while we are on the topic, check out the ultimate lawn mower! I just love this thing:

Ford Select-O-Speed Lawnmower

of course, I don't have a property where such a thing could be used! ;) but that's not the point.

Scot
How does the dream team keep up with modern blower? Can they handle heavy wet snow?

#27 ·
it perfroms fine! :)
I bought it as my "backup" snowblower, in case my primary '71 Ariens doesnt work when its needed, for any reason..
Ive used the 732 three or four times, each time I noticed no real different from the 724..no issues.

How does the dream team keep up with modern blower? Can they handle heavy wet snow?
Well, I have never owned, or even used, a modern blower! ;) So I have no personal point of reference.
the only time they have any problems is with *really* wet snow..slush..but that's a well-known issue with nearly all older 2-stage snowblowers..
(and a lot of newer ones too)
I did buy a Clarence impeller kit for the 724..years ago! and still haven't installed it..I keep meaning to do it, but never get to it over the summer..
but 95% of our snowfalls, its not needed anyway, so its not a pressing issue really.

My 724 has been my main snowblower nine winters now..no complaints! it works great.

Scot

#33 ·
They are still available for some new lawn tractors and garden tractors..
im not sure which ones, since I only look at 40 year old equipment! ;)

But im sure John Deere, Simplicity, and other current tractor makers still make snowblower attachments..
lets check it out! ;) im curious, I have never looked before..

Deere has current snowblower attachments:
http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/i...ory/1382632/44 snowblower.png?v=1477422213372

Simplicity:
http://www.flintnewhollandinc.com/a...ge500290-SimplicitySnowBlowerAttach-Model.jpg

Cub Cadet:
CubCadet - 19A40024100

So yeah, they are still being made..

Scot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.