Snowblower Forum banner

ARMORskids really work

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Snow Gone 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

my fall project this year was to bring a 1971 Arien's SnoThro back to life. A new Tecumseh carb and the unit fired right up, ( I did have one problem getting the supposedly correct carb to connect to the governor...but that's for another post). The item that I'm very happy I added to this SnowBlower were these ARMORskids.. They work great and are everything they are advertised to be.. BIG..Beefy...LONG and easy to install..
I have a gravel driveway and needed something that could ride high and glide over the small stones.. I installed them with the wide tips forward and they work perfect..

#2 ·
Interesting...I could swear those are the skids that many people recently said they were going to remove because they're terrible in wet snow.They say those skids make the front of the blower ride up because they won't "cut" through the snow.

Keep us posted,maybe you will have a different opinion,who knows.

They can't possibly be as bad as the stock skids on my Toro 521.The clown who dreamed those up must have smoking something pretty strong to think that was a good design.They're not rounded in the front and they catch on everything.I gotta' go see my uncle the welder and have him weld something curved over them.Just plain junk-and expensive,as most Toro parts are.

#4 ·
A friend of mine bought a pair and thought they worked fine on his Ariens. But I can see where there be a problem for them. They appear to be designed so they do ride over uneven surfaces, works great on a 25 year cement driveway poured in sections. On the other hand when you get to the EOD that's half froze they ride up. I noticed on my buddies pair one end is narrower, that might help. At any rate when I look at all the different types of skids available OEM and aftermarket I'm inclined to believe experimentation is the only answer albeit an expensive one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.