New to snow blowers: What are your favorite makes and why? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 03-28-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 0
Garage
New to snow blowers: What are your favorite makes and why?

Hello! First time owner here (Snapper 5/22.) I am planning to baby and upgrade this thing like I do with all my machines, but as I have snow blower fever right now I can't help but think about the next one i'm going to acquire down the road.

Like snowmobiles, cars, lawn mowers, motorcycles, boats, and any machine really, various brands must have their pros and cons. What makes do you like and why do you like them in particular? Is it the tough gear box, the way they toss snow like no other, the paint scheme, the angle of the grips? There are hundreds of potential reasons you like your machine, and I want to hear about it! I never realized there are 20 odd companies making snow blowers and i'd like to hear more about them.

Just from reading the threads (and knowing nothing else) the brands that seem very impressive so far are Ariens (have been at it forever,) Honda (that Japanese engineering,) and Husqvarna (well reviewed.) It does seem like a lot of the Craftsman/Yard boy/Snapper stuff is also well-made/solid and positively reviewed so maybe it's really hard to go wrong these days.

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from you on why you like your brand in particular. There is no right answer

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?" -J. B. Priestley

My Garage: Snapper 5/22, tall chute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-28-2017, 10:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 44
You might find it more productive to read the past threads under each of the major makes rather than expecting their proponents to write something repetitious of what has been said many times before.

Many participants won't be visiting here again until late next Fall.
orangputeh likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-28-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont007 View Post
You might find it more productive to read the past threads under each of the major makes rather than expecting their proponents to write something repetitious of what has been said many times before.

Many participants won't be visiting here again until late next Fall.
Noted! There are always some "newbie" mistakes to be made for any given forum. I figured this might be fun for people to talk about certain features for multiple brands they like or own.

At the very least.....I'm no stranger to the search feature. So redundant threads should be at a minimum with me

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?" -J. B. Priestley

post #4 of 21 Old 03-28-2017, 10:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 41
Garage
go buy one of each , test them, and then report back.

you could be our Consumer reports guy.

only kidding. what Vermont said. you are only going to get biased views from each group of fanatics.

BTW..I'm a Honda guy. It's the machine of choice for about 90% of the people here in the Sierras. People here don't mind the price.

Ariens is pretty good and much better priced for economy minded people.

just my 2 cents.
RickDangerous likes this.

what goes around comes around
post #5 of 21 Old 03-29-2017, 12:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 118
I am fairly loyal to Ariens and the 1980s John Deere's. That being said, I also respect Honda & Toro. But when I buy a new machine it will always be an Ariens as long as they continue to make great reliable products. I like them because they are family owned and have been around for a very long time, and their customer service is top notch.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-29-2017, 12:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 1
I've owned a few different Ariens. They are good machines. Recently got a 10 y/o Simplicity 8hp 24" bucket and absolutely love running it. I don't think it's as easy to service as an Ariens though. And for single stages you can not go wrong with a Toro. I've got a ccr2000 and the only thing I've ever had to do to it was change a spark plug this past fall. I've owned it for 12-13 years and it may have been that old when I got it. I just bought a ccr3650 to replace it because it was too good a deal to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 21 Old 03-29-2017, 09:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 64
Snow Joe baby!
edj_03 likes this.

Honda HSS1328AATD
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite
post #8 of 21 Old 03-29-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
I am fairly loyal to Ariens and the 1980s John Deere's. That being said, I also respect Honda & Toro. But when I buy a new machine it will always be an Ariens as long as they continue to make great reliable products. I like them because they are family owned and have been around for a very long time, and their customer service is top notch.
This is exactly the type of subjective opinion i love reading. It's interesting to hear peoples takes on various brands/machines and why they like them or don't.

Are there any companies that made snow blowers for years that no longer do that you wish were still on the market?

post #9 of 21 Old 03-29-2017, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 218
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDangerous View Post

Are there any companies that made snow blowers for years that no longer do that you wish were still on the market?
Some of the "Big names" that I can think of, that no longer make snowblowers:

Snowbird: was a big name in the 1960's and 70;s..was bought out by MTD in the 70's, who still made a few snowbirds for a few years..line was then dropped in the mid-80's.

John Deere: made their own snowblowers in the 1970's and 80's, contracted out JD snowblowers to Ariens and Murray in the 1990's, JD snowblower line was bought by Briggs & Stratton in 2005, last JD snowblower was made in 2012.

Bolens is also gone..absorbed by MTD, and the name is no longer being used for snowblowers.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sscotsman; 03-29-2017 at 03:36 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Some of the "Big names" that I can think of, that no longer make snowblowers:

Snowbird: was a big name in the 1960's and 70;s..was bought out by MTD in the 70's, who still made a few snowbirds for a few years..line was then dropped in the mid-80's.

John Deere: made their own snowblower in the 1970's and 80's, contracted out JD snowblowers to Ariens and Murray in the 1990's, JD snowblower line was bought by Briggs & Stratton in 2005, last JD snowblower was made in 2012.

Bolens is also gone..absorbed by MTD, and the name is no longer being used for snowblowers.

Scot
Very interesting, thanks for the blower history lesson! It makes sense that in todays business climate smaller companies would get swallowed up and integrated into larger ones, but can't believe a top tier brand like John Deere doesn't have a snow blower offering...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page