Snowblower Forum banner

Top 25 snowiest cities for 2016/2017 winter.

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  dbert 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Even SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota and Rochester, MN are in that list. the Twin Cities did not even crack that. But once again I am not complaining. Hold on to your hats Folks we are in for another EL-NINO Winter next year. at this rate I just may be wearing speedos year round.:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

#8 ·
Speedo board shorts:smiley-confused013:

I'm surprised to see Boston and nearby cities so far up on the list . . .
I guess we need our snow blowers. :D

#9 ·
I didn't even notice Grand Rapids, MI is listed (we're 20 minutes south suburb). I only looked at the first few high totals. Only used the Ariens 3 times this past winter for driveway and about 7 times for drifting sidewalk duty. My son is at Mich Tech in Houghton MI. They only had 174" this season so far and about the same last two seasons and that's 40" below average for them. They are more below average than some of the highest ranked total cities:facepalm_zpsdj194qh

#10 ·
I've always been fascinated with the difference a few miles makes. Weather is an absolute crap shoot. I live on Long Island, a mere 7 miles south of Bridgeport CT. Bridgeport gets hammered and we weren't even close. Even though our weather generally comes from the west and north in the winter, Long Island Sound seems to have a dramatic effect on snow totals. There have also been instances where I have gotten over 30 inches on Long Island and New York City, 30 miles to the west, got nothing. The opposite has also occurred. What it boils down to is that the only thing that matters is how much and how heavy the snow that I, personally, have to shovel. I'll take 12 inches of dry powder over 4 inches of wet slush any day. I don't care what the year to date total is.

#11 ·
I've always been fascinated with the difference a few miles makes. Weather is an absolute crap shoot. I live on Long Island, a mere 7 miles south of Bridgeport CT. Bridgeport gets hammered and we weren't even close. Even though our weather generally comes from the west and north in the winter, Long Island Sound seems to have a dramatic effect on snow totals.
Probably "lake effect snow"..or in your case "sound effect" ;)
It happens in the Great Lakes every winter..

the open bodies of water, warmer than the air, add a lot of moisture as the cold air passes over the water..then it hits the land, slows down, and dumps the moisture as snow..

Depending on which way the wind is blowing, the north or south side of the sound could get a foot of snow, while the opposite shore gets nothing.

Scot

#14 ·
It's the lake effect that puts us on the list here in Salt Lake City.
What I find interesting is how that moist air mass hits the mountains just to the east of us and dumps literally 10 times the amount we see in the valley. Our 51 inches in town vs. 528 inches this year at a ski resort 8 miles to the east.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.