Decision time...could really use some input - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-16-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 5
Question Decision time...could really use some input

new guy here, so I'll thank you ahead of time for your patience..anyway it's time to actually spend some $$ on a machine..usually a find em and fix em kinda guy...but moving father north..from the frying pan to the fire so to say..and winter's on it's way..really stuck between 2 machines, and the people on here seem a little more knowledgeable then some of the sales people I've spoken with so maybe you can kick me over the edge.. basic differences as follows..

Ariens platinum 30 SHO .... Simplicity H1730e
414 cc AX..21lbs .... 420 cc B&S 1650 pro..17lbs
21 inch hgt .... 19.75 hgt
quick turn chute ... electric chute
remote deflector ... electric chute
16x4.5 inch tires.... 16x6.5 tires
auto turn .... dual triggers
discomatic drive..??? .... gear drive.....???
14 inch impeller .... 12 inch impeller
drift cutters optional .... drift cutters standard
3yrs on machine, 5 on gearbox .... 3yrs everything
$1799 .... $1599

either machine would be purchased from a dealer/service place...ariens maybe 40 mins away...simplicity maybe 2 hrs ..break downs are depressing...

driveway..hard packed dirt/gravel.....40x40...20x30
100 ft pushing the snowbanks back, thats got a 20-30 degree slope into the woods side hill I guess....then need to do some off roading for the dog..

not sure about the electric controls on the simplicity..will be stored under the deck for now..read that sometimes they freeze up..and kinda leery about elec anything mixed with water...but kinda like the slightly bigger B&S motor..also kinda like not spending an xtra $35 bucks for drift cutters...not to mention the $200 difference..heck that's almost another cord of wood..LOL

the Ariens..like the bigger impeller,..the xtra torque...although not sure why there's a difference..maybe someone can elaborate..??
also wonder if the Autoturn is gonna kick my butt, going off road and pushing back the snowbanks...
also the longevity of that AX engine..wondering if it's working a lot harder for the xtra torque..???

anyway it's decision time, and any input you guys may have would be greatly appreciated..thanks for your patience with my long drawn out post..
thanks
Bud

Last edited by buddman; 09-16-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: didn't post the way I typed it, hard to read
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
Who Makes Snow Blower Engine

Who Makes Briggs & Stratton, MTD, Craftsman, Ariens, and Husqvarna Snow Blower Engines

Who Makes Briggs & Stratton, MTD, Craftsman, Ariens, and Husqvarna Snow Blower Engines | MovingSnow.com

2016 Ariens 921038 Platinum 369cc SHO 24"
2014 Ariens 921036 Deluxe 28" (Sold)
2013 Ariens 921017 Platinum 24"(Sold)
2011 John Deere X728/47" Quick Hitch Snowblower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff
post #3 of 8 Old 09-16-2014, 03:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 81
Hi Bud welcome to the forum.
Yes it's decision time but lets try to make it easier. Starting off the bat my decision would be the Ariens. Simplicity also makes good machines but personally I am leery of the electric motors for the chute. As you said they can freeze and if they die just after warranty they ask better than $140 for replacement although you could find similar used for $40 or $50 plus the trouble changing them during the snow season because you will find out only when you try to use them. As for the impeller size 14" is a definite plus since if you apply basic physics the outside edge of impeller speed is a lot faster hence more snow out the chute and farther out. I also would add an impeller kit (you can find out how here or just ask) and the hassle with wet snow is gone. The engines on both are similar as I don't find much to debate on their lacks or merits. I am sure more knowledgeable people here can elaborate further but the last important feature in your decision is your trust in a good dealer for service.

Good luck on your purchase.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-16-2014, 05:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
I bought the Platinum 30 last year with the 414cc motor and autosteer and I can tell you it is a beast. The autosteer does take a little getting used to as it will grab a rut. If you just keep a little pressure on the handles (keeping it straight), it will grab but straighten out immediately and keep going. I can't speak about side-hilling as my drive slopes down hill on a straight away basis, not to the side.

I did have to adjust the quick turn chute cable a little but once it was dialed in, it is a dream to use. It locks in place and all I have to do is tap the stick sideways, it unlocks, rotates and locks in place again. Love it.

The autosteer is an amazing feature as I can actually turn the machine with one hand. Give it a little bump/twist one way, the differential unlocks, turns and then just give it a slight force the other way to lock the diff and stop the turn.

So far it has been easy to start, idles and runs great, and blows like crazy. The large 14" impeller does an amazing job. Throws average moisture snow up to and sometimes over 50 feet.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-16-2014, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Ariens, all the way, but then I bleed orange.

One more thing to think about. Looking at the Ariens interweb page, if you purchased a new rig before 10.31, you will get a 5 year warranty on everything. That's pretty good I feel. I jumped at the same deal last fall when I got my deluxe 30.

As indicated above, yea that Auto turn is a beast until you figure it out. I was pretty disappointed at first with mine. I learned ya need to saddle in tight to the handle bars. I also got a set of armor shoes, and I feel that helped. Tire tracks in snow will toss the machine around a little, so watch for that (assuming you go with the Ariens)

My deluxe 30 throws the snow higher and further than the toro's, craftsmen's and other off brand blowers on my street.

Keep in mind, I know zero point squat about Simplicity. He11, I don't even know anyone that has one, so my opinion is pretty one sided.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #6 of 8 Old 09-16-2014, 07:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 179
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 212
I did see a few scattered complaints about the electric motors burning out or getting soaked with water and needing dried out. However, I have seen far more complaints about the auto turn and the joystick controls.

I do like my older Ariens though.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-19-2014, 01:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens, proven machine, bigger impeller, and no need for electronic controls. This thing will move some snow! I'm not big on Chinese engines but all snow-blowers went that route (except Honda)

Plus the service guy is only 40 minutes away, that's a huge plus!

Ariens are made in WI, USA

Honda HS 828 (Shoe-less significant restoration)
Honda HS 1132 TAS (simple restoration)
Ariens ST7524E
post #8 of 8 Old 09-19-2014, 05:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 140
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 277
Welcome, and insofar as the electric chute controller, how often would you need to change the direction?

I would guess, that unless you are constantly adjusting the direction of where you are putting the snow, you probably will only do it at the turn around. And if you started in the middle, and worked your way to the edges, you may never adjust it.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page