Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_ph View Post
Hi 94EG8

Does that mean your experience with the Chinese/Honda clones was relatively good?

(I have a 357cc in my CC/MTD, so I'm just curious and hoping that is the case)

thanks.
The only problem with those clones is parts availability, actually even then it's more a problem with the Chinese engines that aren't quite clones but are built similar to a Honda. They all start better, run quieter, smoother, cooler, use less fuel and make more power than a Tecumseh of the same displacement. I've had some apart and so far they've all be of excellent construction, ball bearing supported cranks, steel head gaskets. I can't find fault with the engines at all, only parts distribution and trying to figure exactly who made your engine leaves something to be desired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 11-11-2014, 04:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the feedback.

It looks like the Powermore/MTD engines have been in production for a couple years so the parts issues will likely fix themselves to fill the need of all these machines.

I was trying to see how many years they have been making these engines and I found this very generous review of the Powermore from 2010, so I guess they have been in the field for at least 4 years and seem to be shipping on the new models too.

Who makes POWERMORE, Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, YardMan, Cub Cadet OHV Winterized Engines - MovingSnow.com
post #33 of 56 Old 11-11-2014, 05:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 42
2009 I think. Tecumseh ceased engine production in December 2008.
post #34 of 56 Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 87
Likes (Received): 18
I was so astounded by the very broad bush that Ariens is painted in this thread that I registered for the site after lurking in the background for over 5 years. I have what may be the predecessor to the subject of this thread, a 2002 924508 low serial number version. It is a Pro 1128 with 11hp Tecumseh OHV, 12v electric start, and extra tall (23") auger housing. It weighs a hefty 325 pounds although my only wish is that the auger housing was made of a thicker gauge metal to eliminate some of the flexing down by the skids. I purchased it barely used in May 0f 2009 for $650. I just washed, compounded and waxed it this past weekend. It shines almost like new. Lest you think it has had an easy life, I live in central NH with a very steep uphill driveway at the end of a private gravel road so not only do I have the EOD to contend with, I have the end of road piles that frequently extend in front of my driveway. It has swallowed and spit out the occasional 3 to 6 base rocks that the plow has so nicely left for me. Not only do I blow my driveway but as I leave my vehicles up on the road during storms so I can get out if necessary so I do another 100 feet of the roadway around my cars. I also assist the neighbor with his driveway as well. Maintenance has been the normal greasing and oil changes. The belts are original but it has had a new set of skids and a new scraper bar. I touch up the scrapes inside the housing and on the leading housing edges each year with Rustoleum AC orange. I treat each container of gas when purchased with Seafoam and do not run it dry. I do start it several times over the summer adding a little fresh gas to the tank each time. The engine does not vibrate and always has started on the first couple of cranks. I question the need of the OP to push on the control panel to assist the blower into any amount of snow as mine is virtually unstoppable and actually performs better in deeper snow. The 924XXX line lasted over 30 years and is a well proven product. I see a problem with an individual machine due to abuse, lack of maintenance, prior history or who knows what, not a systemic problem. I have said my piece. Richard
post #35 of 56 Old 11-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 218
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 416
Thanks for the review Richard!
Yes, this thread is an example of one or two people having some issues with Ariens snowblowers..which is real, and which happens.

but...

the experiences of one or two people *in no way* represent the entire population of Ariens snowblowers..they happen to be two unlucky owners, and its a fact that on the internet you often hear about "the bad experiences" WAY out of proportion to the good experiences..because the people with bad experiences (with any product, doesnt matter what it is) are far more likely to make an effort to go onto the internet to complain! most of the time those complaints are justified..but..the 99% of people that had nothing go wrong, are far less likely to go onto the internet to say "everything is fine"! So when searching for product issues, you are *more likely* to find complaints way out of proportion to the actual rate of problems in the real world..which can give a very skewed perception of reality.
this thread is a perfect example of that phenomenon..

As moderators, we have no desire or need to "shut down" these kinds of discussions..they are, and should be, allowed to run their natural course here..but its also fair to point out that these experiences do not at all reflect the average users experience..pointing that out gives "the full story"..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 56 Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Well like I may of mentioned earlier, My next door neighbor is about 67-70 years old and has been retired from the old paper mill for about 20 years now... In the summer he cuts grass and winter blows driveways for something to do, make some extra money etc... He does about 12-14 driveways a year and even use to do mine, until I bought my Ariens back in October... he's been doing driveways about 15 years now and has owned and ran nothing but Ariens the whole time, he currently has 3 of them and will buy nothing but... he came over to see mine a few days after I bought it and was happy I bought one, even though he lost my business He wants to cut back anyway since he's getting older so he didn't mind

I live in a fairly good size subdivision and have yet to see any other kind of snowblower used around me other then an Ariens, I can ask anyone around here and it's all people will use and and it's the machine they will tell you to buy... It simply works for everyone and at a price you can't beat for the machine you get

A few years back staying with my old girlfriend I wanted a snowblower and got a yardworks mtd special at canadian tire on sale, I had my doubts about it because it looked super cheap but bought it anyway... Long story short I sold it after 2 weeks of owning it because it sucked and bought a high end leftover Husqvarna 14527sbls... Had the heated handwarmers, all cable controlled deflector and chute rotation, power steering, big 305cc 14.5ft lb TQ B&S snow series max etc, A very nice machine and kicked the pants off the yardworks... Sold it to my dad though after me we parted as he needed a new machine because the old craftsman was dying/dead

Now with the wife you may as well say in our new home I bought a new Ariens deluxe 28 with the 254cc LCT. This machine spanks my dad's Husqvarna in quality... Thicker steel cute, thicker steel everything for that matter, steel dash panel not plastic, bigger bearings, bigger gearcase, better cable for the deflector, heavier duty auger I can go on and on, it is just a beast of a machine and should throw snow better then then my dad's but that Husq is no slouch either, the Briggs has some nasty grunt... will have to see how the Ariens does come the first big dump of snow

In the end, Ariens makes a great machine and a high quality machine and come march, in my area you will a have hard time buying a new one because the dealers all sell out come then... They can't keep them around, it's very popular and easily outsells all the competition

I could of bought a Honda sure, but a Honda is easily a thousand plus more then mine and smaller to boot, and would take me longer to blow my driveway in the end, great machine but way to expensive for the average homeowner

For the price it's hard to beat an Ariens, sure some people have some bad reviews of them like every other machine but no way represents the Ariens brand as whole being a bad machine, not taking away from the OP who had bad luck with his, but as whole are a good machine at a price other companies really can't match... They all make a lemon

Last edited by Ariens28; 11-12-2014 at 09:43 AM.
post #37 of 56 Old 11-12-2014, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Long story short, I started this thread because I've had ongoing problems with my Ariens blower. I could have called up or emailed the company but that would have been naive. At best they'd have taken polite note of my complaints and then swept it aside without a second thought. By bringing it here a lot of potential Ariens buyers hear about my ongoing problems and they become a little bit harder for the manufacturer to ignore. I'm not making any of this stuff up folks. Of course every company puts out some lemons. But when you get the same parts, such as control cable springs breaking repeatedly then it indicates ( to me at least ) that they are designed to break. That's why the dealer always has the cables in stock. The dealers want to make some money on parts and the companies accommodate them. I've yet to break an actual cable, it's the spring on the cable the breaks. They could very easily retrofit with a more durable spring, or sell the $2 spring separately and it would take five minutes to change. Instead you have to buy the whole cable for $30. If you believe this is an oversight then I have some swampland I'd like to get rid of. You kind of expect to see that kind of marketing in the cheapo brands but it's disappointing and even sad that Ariens is increasingly doing the same thing. They should have more pride.
post #38 of 56 Old 11-12-2014, 10:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 81
I have a ST1130DLE which is very similar to yours and don't seem to mimic your problem with the cable, of course I have to be careful if it freezes then I apply some fluid film and the problem is resolved and my garage is not heated.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #39 of 56 Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 87
Likes (Received): 18
billywhiskers. I wish you would post the model number (924XXX) of your machine as you have my curiosity aroused. The machine I wrote about is 12 years old and still has the original spark plug in it. The only things that have been changed are the skids and scraper bar, both wear items. I consider belts, cables, and other items such as the friction disk wear items also. Your dealer may stock the cable since it is a wear item not for the negative reason you suggested.

My machine is a definite "Pro" model and listed at or above the price you stated upfront.
post #40 of 56 Old 11-12-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
billywhiskers. I wish you would post the model number (924XXX) of your machine as you have my curiosity aroused. The machine I wrote about is 12 years old and still has the original spark plug in it. The only things that have been changed are the skids and scraper bar, both wear items. I consider belts, cables, and other items such as the friction disk wear items also.
Mine is a 926016 and I agree about the friction wheels and belts but there is absolutely no wear on the cable I just changed for the second or third time in six seasons. The lever end spring broke off again on the long straight part of it The cable itself has been kept lubed and looks brand new. This is only one of the myriad problems but the fact they keep using this dirt cheap, self-destructing spring on the cable is, in the words of my long departed father, " plain damned badness!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page