Honda, Ariens, or Husqvarna?? Need help!!! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #1

Default Honda, Ariens, or Husqvarna?? Need help!!!

I am new to the site and to snowblowers.

I recently bought a house up in the hills of Connecticut. I have a 500' driveway and I'm looking for some advice on snowblowers. I don't have the funds for a decent truck w/ a plow, so a snowblower is going to be the way to go for me. From my research, I understand that Honda is the top of the top, Ariens is 2nd, and that Husqvarna is a very respectable brand. I've had my eye on the Ariens Pro 36 and recently looked at the Husq. 1650 EXL. Is there a big enough difference between those two to justify the $900 difference in prices?

I also came across a used Honda 1132TA. I'm not sure of the year, but it's going for $2,300. Should this be in the consideration?

Is there another brand that I should consider?

I have to stay under $3,000, which is a lot of money to me, and I just want to make sure I get something with plenty of power, that runs consistently, and will last for a while.

I appreciate any feedback, thank you!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #2

Well, in the $2,000 to $3,000 range you are definitely in the "Cadillac end" of the scale..which means pricey, but very good quality and reliable machines, that should last you 40 years easily..

500 feet is a good length..An Ariens Pro model would serve you well.

Quote:
I also came across a used Honda 1132TA. I'm not sure of the year, but it's going for $2,300. Should this be in the consideration?
I dont know enough about Hondas to know if that is a good price or not..
Can you determine the exact model year, from that we can get its age, see what a comparable *new* Honda would go for, and that would give us a better idea of the used machines true value..

Quote:
No!
In fact, I would drop Husqvarna from the list, and stick with $2,000 to $3,000 Hondas or "Pro" series Ariens only..either will serve you very well..then it comes down to just specific features you want, or dont want, and price.

Scot
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #3

Try to avoid the husqvarna. Toro makes a 28" 11 hp you miight want to check. In the 2k price range. Good products.

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten"

I own some snowblowers

But not as many as William!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #4

scratch the husy off the list! have you thought about a riding mower with a plow or snowblower attachment or both
1-toro 521E-38052 . 2-toro 521r -38052
1-toro 826E-38150 . 1- powerliteE-38175 n.r.
1-............, TORO XL 824..............
william
Old 10-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
scratch the husy off the list! have you thought about a riding mower with a plow or snowblower attachment or both
I don't know much about riders, but I have a pretty steep grade on my front lawn, steep enough to have to go up and down, not side to side. I looked at a Husqvarna R322T, a new model to the US. It looks like it'd be great for mowing, I'm just not sure how it would do with the snowblower attachment.

I would prefer to have a rider with a snow blower attachment, but I think anything that would work well would be out of my price range. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reabilly44 View Post
I don't know much about riders, but I have a pretty steep grade on my front lawn, steep enough to have to go up and down, not side to side. I looked at a Husqvarna R322T, a new model to the US. It looks like it'd be great for mowing, I'm just not sure how it would do with the snowblower attachment.

I would prefer to have a rider with a snow blower attachment, but I think anything that would work well would be out of my price range. I'm open to suggestions.
Have you considered looking for used? Not sure what your mechanical level is, but used is a good bet, especially if they need work. Do you have the storage space to keep a spare rider dedicated to snow blowing only?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #7

....I've had an 1132 for almost 10 years now ..Honda has made a few improvements and now calls it the 1332. As noted you will be hard pressed to find a better unit. Don't know what a 1332 goes for now but offer them $1700....be prepared to settle at $2000.
www.legacygarage.com
Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
pfn

All-in all I'd say the Honda is the better unit because of the hydrostatic transmission. That said if that transmission breaks you are looking at BIG bucks. The Ariens trans... 1/10 the cost (at most) and it is a very simple fix. The axiom, KISS, comes to mind.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reabilly44 View Post
I am new to the site and to snowblowers.

I recently bought a house up in the hills of Connecticut. I have a 500' driveway and I'm looking for some advice on snowblowers. I don't have the funds for a decent truck w/ a plow, so a snowblower is going to be the way to go for me. From my research, I understand that Honda is the top of the top, Ariens is 2nd, and that Husqvarna is a very respectable brand. I've had my eye on the Ariens Pro 36 and recently looked at the Husq. 1650 EXL. Is there a big enough difference between those two to justify the $900 difference in prices?

I have to stay under $3,000, which is a lot of money to me, and I just want to make sure I get something with plenty of power, that runs consistently, and will last for a while.

I appreciate any feedback, thank you!!
I would agree with Scot in recommending Ariens brand. I would say a Platinum or Professional grade Ariens would be perfect for you. Since you have a 500 foot driveway you should be looking at minimum 32 inch or better. Plus Ariens has the Zero-Turn technology transmission so you can turn it around effortlessly in the machine's own foot print. Honda like wise is also a great machine but very expensive. Stay away from track models unless you have a real steep driveway or one with loose gravel in which you would need the extra traction. Replacement tracks can be very expensive after the warranty period runs out. Post a picture and a description of which machine you end up getting. As to Honda. Yes they are nice but I was looking at their website and their most expensive Commercial tracked blower is model HS1336iAS at $7999 . Wow that is some money.

Mark
Old 10-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71 View Post
....I've had an 1132 for almost 10 years now ..Honda has made a few improvements and now calls it the 1332.
HS1132 was updated to the HS1332 two years ago. The "13" has slightly different engine, taller handlebars, extreme cold-weather/anti-icing kit now standard, and individual choke and throttle controls. MSRP for the "13" is $3,189 for the pull-start model, and $3,399 for the electric (120V AC) start.

Other specs are identical, including the 3-year warranty.

If you'll share the serial number off the HS1132, I can tell you if any warranty is remaining, and when/where it was sold.

More at the Honda website: Honda Snowblowers and Snow Throwers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement