LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-25-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
12v Inverter for 120v starter.

Has anyone been able to use an inverter to start a snowblower engine?

I've got a couple of Craftsman walk-behinds and used them last year on a contract to clear bank parking lots. With the 10 minute or so drive between banks, the engine is always cold when I try to start it. Often one or both of them wouldn't start when we got there.

I wired up a 700w inverter to the truck last year and even that wasn't enough, it would spin the engine until the compression stroke and then pop the breaker. I found a 1200w inverter at Advance Auto, but before I spend that kind of money, I'd like to be sure it will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 179
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 212
Does the 120V starter have an amperage or wattage listed on the sticker?

You could try looking for a 12v starter and either rigging up something to your truck's battery or adding a small lawn tractor battery right to the blower.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-25-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, Shryp,
I should have thought about reading the label on it. I'll check and see if I can find any power requirement on the starter tomorrow.

But I like the 12v starter answer as well. I've also got the remains of a vertical shaft tractor engine in the shed. With Briggs and Stratton being so common it might just fit and then I could use jumper cables or set up some other kind of power cable to start it.

I'll go study this some more.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-27-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Starters draw a LOT of power

I looked at three different 110v starters, two of them were labeled 13a, the other at 11a.
11x120=1320watts. 13x120=1560watts.

It appears that to be even close to getting an inverter that will start a snowblower, I need to get one that's rated at 1500watts.

It seems converting the engine to 12v starting might be a much cheaper way to accomplish this task. I remember reading somewhere that there are at least two different kinds of starters (large and small?) I need to start looking around for guys with blown lawntractor engines that are similar to the engines on my snowblowers. Then I can convert the blowers to a 12v starting system. I should be able to use a connection similar to what is used for a truck mounted snowplow to make a connection for my snowblowers. That way, if I can't get it to start with the pull cord, I can use a truck to jump start it.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-27-2011, 08:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 179
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 212
Maybe look into getting a cheap car battery and tossing it in the back of your truck. Would need to make sure to charge it every night, but at least then you wouldn't have to worry about shorting something out on your truck.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-19-2017, 09:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 23
Starters are handy but I'd be more looking at why there so hard to start personally, Might just be a little gunked up in the carbs, even in the coldest weather I just prime them with choke and they fire up first or second pull. Have yet to actually use the electric starter on any of my machines except to see if they work, Haven't even tried it on the Ariens yet.

Craftsman 3.8hp Tecumseh single stage
Snapper 6/22 my little workhorse
Ariens ST1027LE new workhorse
post #7 of 11 Old 04-19-2017, 09:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 21
The time it takes to set up everything each time you want to electric start you should be able to pull start. I'd clean the carb, change the sparkplug this summer and you should be able to one pull start every time next winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Toro CCR1000
2007 Cub Cadet 524SWE
post #8 of 11 Old 04-19-2017, 12:41 PM
evh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 6
You say there is only ~10 minutes between banks? How about leaving them running while you haul them. 10 minutes idling is not much. It will likely depend on how you haul them (back of a truck, trailer, etc.). Maybe put your efforts into securing them safely while hauling (auger's don't accidentally engage, etc.), rather then going the electric starter solution route. Just a thought.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-19-2017, 01:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 36
Folks, this is a six year old thread and the originator has not made any posts in ANY thread since 2011. It's not very likely that he's going to see this.
eyebolt likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-19-2017, 02:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Snow View Post
Folks, this is a six year old thread and the originator has not made any posts in ANY thread since 2011. It's not very likely that he's going to see this.
Plus, the poster that brought it back to life seems to be spamming, and with bad information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorence View Post
Power inverter DC 12v to AC 110v is the standard that I have used. But to 120v, sorry to say I don't know how to fix that case. Bestek 300w power inverter is this product that can meet your requirement. The Good news to you is there is an activity of Bestek 10th anniversary on here. This is a big discount for me to buy another inverter right now. So I share this news to you. Hope that you are interested in taking part in it.
I don't see how a 300W inverter will be adequate for a starter that appears to need 1000-1500W.

1998 Honda HS621, 1990 Toro 521
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page