Snowblower Forum banner

"Snow Stories" - Winter 2015/2016.

47K views 258 replies 68 participants last post by  uberT 
#1 ·
Today is November 1st, 2015. The first day of winter. (yes, I know what the calendar says..the calendar is wrong! ;)

Time to start up our annual thread about snowfall for this winter.

Scot

#2 ·
I live on the North Shore of Prince Edward Island near Cavendish. We got record snow amounts last year. Over 17 feet I think it was and all in a short few months without any big thaws. And we get a lot of wind all the time so drifting is bad. The schools were closed a lot of days because school buses could not safely travel the one lane tunnels. I just hope that this winter is nothing like the last 2. Replaced the old Craftsman with a Ariens Platinum 30 SHO this year and am hoping I don't need it much.

Attachments

#6 ·
I don't think my Craftsman 27 or your new machine are up to those snow piles. Might I suggest a big honking front end loader?

#4 ·
We had a heavy, wet snowfall on Halloween a few years ago (2011?)...did a ton of damage cuz the trees were still all leaved out. Extended power outages, CT was hit bad.

#34 ·
yeah, im starting to worry that the daffodils might poke up!
they do have a "timer", which hopefully will keep them underground until February at the earliest..but our December weather has been pretty much the same as March..daily highs in the 40's (7C), sometimes the 50's (12C), and we are going to hit 60 (16C) over the weekend! ridiculous for mid-December..most plants probably wont be confused about an early Spring in December, because in addition to spring warmth, they do also follow a natural timer to keep them dormant "long enough"..but if this keeps up, it could maybe be an issue..

Scot

#11 ·
Ubert
I live in NW Ct. The Storm you speak of started off as wet Snow mixed w Sleet and right around around 5 PM turned to Freezing Rain. Like you said it was a day or 2 before Halloween and many Trees still had Leaves. After the Freezing Rain started Tree Limbs and Trees sounded like Gunshots as the weight brought them down! Thousands of Homes lost Power, some for a Wk or more. Power Companies were totally unprepared for Carnage this Storm caused. I have ( had ) lots of large older Trees on my Property, and it literally took Months to clean up the Mess! I like Snow, but I'd rather sit on a sharp Stick then go through that again. Lord knows, there were plenty to choose from..haha!!

#12 ·
it's going to be in the mid-'70's the next few days so I'm ( along with a few co-workers ) playing hooky from henry's for the next two days and head down to Marietta, oh. for some fun on the mighty ST1300

#13 ·
Thanks for bring back the bad memories from 2014 :icon-hgtg:. Not use to getting 110 inches in New England :smiley-char060:. It was solely responsible for killing my 1988 Toro 824 (RIP) and pushing my poor 2011 Troy-bilt 2620 to its auger limits (had to replace the auger gear). That said, I finally broke down and got a nice spanking new Toro HD 826 OXE :wavetowel2:, so hopefully I will be ready.

#17 · (Edited)
#18 · (Edited)
Here is Morrison, Colorado (considered a suburb of Denver)...

7 inches on Nov 11 = Shovel
14 inches on Nov 15 = Shovel
3 inches on Nov 30 = Shovel

45° today, rising to 60's by mid week.
10 day forecast now shows snow flurries next weekend

1:40pm and starting to snow !!!
I don't expect it to last long though, but it is encouraging !
That did not last long and I'd need a micrometer to measure it.

#21 ·
We have nothing and the forecasters suggest December is going to be warm. No snow yet. Today was 50F, tomorrow 60F. Got a bunch of yard stuff done today, most of the leaves are down. Cleaned the gutters for the 4th time this year.

Forecasters are predicting a really nice stretch of weather over the next 10 days. Perfect day for the motorbike tomorrow :huh:

#47 · (Edited)
I'm doing my part...guaranteed to help the no-show snow. :)

Below is a quote from a 2013 post in garage journal titled "Most reliable snow blower?" by a gent who I think relocated to SC that I thought was hilarious.

"Most reliable snowblower? Best solution is to relocate. You'll save in the long run. Moved in '77 and left all this behind for the next guy:
Snow blower, snow board, snow boots, snow bunnies, snow chains, snow drifts, snow plow, snow men, snow mobile, snow sleds, snow tires, snow shovel and the overall cost of snow removal with all its other associated costs/disadvantages like salt, rust, frost lines, etc.
You couldn't get my hass back up there even if you aimed me in that direction and put a lit stick of dynamite up my butt."

I wonder if he would ever tell us how he really feels about snow?

#27 ·
El-Nino is to blame for the unusual weather so far this winter..
It's kicking up the jet stream much further north than usual..

which is bringing unusual heavy precipitation, rain and snow, to the North-West and Western USA, and kicking up the warm southern air further north than usual, to the North-East, which is keeping the snow away there..

For those of us in the North-East, Canada is keeping all our cold! ;)

Scot

#29 ·
gee, in my area i thought you guys were sharing your heat !! but on the flip side, here in Atlantic Canada, this month is eerily similar to last december....mild and pleasant. im hoping its not a setup for a repeat of what transpired later last winter here.

#28 ·
Nothing so far in central Massachusetts! In fact the forecast looks mild. Mid 50's to low 60's through the weekend. High 40's to low 50's next week with no precipitation in sight.

That's fine with me. I'm in no hurry snowblow or shovel. If I don't get to use my machine all winter, I'll be sad, but I'll get over it!! LOL! :)

#31 ·
Just when you thought you were done........:facepalm_zpsdj194qh

#33 ·
Yeah, we could use one more pass with the lawn mower. I see flowers in bloom this morning in the garden.

This lack of snow and normal temps is currently crushing the ski areas up north. I looked at the snowfall, season to date, and some of the areas have had 2" - 4" and remain closed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.