Is a 26" snow blower too much for a woman? - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
Hotlady

My wife also has fibromyalgia so I do know a little on that one along with a few other issues she has. Has arthritis started yet?

I've had a couple of Ariens and the auger is controlled by a lever rather than a handle control that you pinch, push that lever forward and the auger is running and you don't have to hold onto it while you're blowing snow. Range of ground speed is good. Parts availability is good also. The two I have had included the ability to unlock one rear wheel so it improves the ability to steer and turn it around.

The downside of the Ariens is the same as virtually any friction disc drive machine. If it's not under power, it takes more effort to move the machine because if you push or pull it by hand you're still moving a lot of the drive mechanism too. A blower with a gear transmission is easier to move without the engine running because only the wheels, axel and one drive chain are moving when it's not in gear. Problem is only a few older machines were set up that way. An alternative would be to get yourself an appliance dolly and park the blower on that, makes moving a lot easier.

If your pick does not include an electric starter, plan on getting one added. You may have issues pulling a starter rope in the future, so get it set up ahead of time.

If you can before buying, try them out. I think that the Ariens will be the better match for you, both now and if your medical issues get worse.

Though I've had a couple of Ariens I've bought to resell, my preferred machine is a pair of Older Craftsman's. I may be biased, but I'm trying to be totally objective especially due to your medical issues.

Hope that helps.

Paul
You read her handle a bit too fast. She probably doesn't mind though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #12

Smile Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming!

I really appreciate everyone that has provided their suggestions. Keep it coming! Thanks so very much to HCBPH for informing others more about Fibromyalgia. Yes, I think I have some Arthritis. I have tendonitis in my thumbs which makes driving my car, washing dishes and operating my blower a painful experience. Especially if I do everything right after each other. I have a TENS unit which helps when the pain is really bad. My Snapper has electric start but I hadn't used it much. Yes, I do have to hold the levers down all the time. Thanks for thinking of that nice feature on the Ariens, that old Bolens had the same feature, too.

The you tube video 'What to look for when buying a used snow blower' by doneyboy 73 was good. I viewed it twice and took notes to take when looking at blowers.

I saw 2 blowers yesterday. The Ariens I thought I was going to see, turned out to be a very old Bolens. An Artic model 75-02, perhaps a 1978 model. The Simplicity model 1691898 didn't have any gas in it. The poor guy is in a lot of pain due to neurophathy which may or may not be right spelling. Pain condition of feet.

Did not find any manuals to either without having to download a toolbar. Maybe I will do that for the Simplicity. Starting to rethink the 26" wide snow blower idea. I think the Atlas and Bolens are too old in regards to parts issue in future. May run fine now but in future?

I can not afford to hire someone to clear snow off on S.S. Disability of close to $11,000/year. My neighbor is paying for a used one since I don't have any money.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortlady1 View Post
Did not find any manuals to either without having to download a toolbar. Maybe I will do that for the Simplicity.
The Simplicity's manual is available via the Simplicity website, without toolbar of course.
http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocum...k5kbp796Dq.pdf
Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #14

hortlady1,

Sounds like a Honda with Hydrostatic drive is outside your budget...the others are
older and most likely worn out...with your health issue I would also suggest to hire
out a plow service, if not cost prohibitive.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #15

Maybe it doesn't matter but are you doing the other four driveways for money ??
If you do those for cash I'd follow the great advise you've received above but I would surely go for the widest blower you can physically handel so you aren't out in the cold any more than necessary. 22 vs 26 isn't much but if you are doing five driveways it does add up. A wider blower in my opinion isn't going to be any harder to turn but it will be a bit heavier. The trick is to let the blower do the work. With my smaller Troy I rarely use reverse. I just muscle it and it's not bad (it's also faster). But with the bigger Craftsman I use reverse as the weight is much more noticeable when trying to muscle it around un-powered.

And I have to ask. In your condition why aren't one of the neighbors doing yours instead of you doing theirs

'08 TroyBilt Storm 2410 31AM62N2711
Old Craftsman 1032 3 stage Model 536.918900Times two Both being reworked.
JD 185 rider 17.5 Kawasaki with 38" blower
'69 Ariens SNO-THRO Mod. 10954/10955 7 hp elect start 32" 2 stage
MTD in "Estate" clothing 8/25 rebuilding as we speak
Eska 5hp SnoFlyr
Jacobsen 626 #52638 blown engine
'90s Murray 827 Mod G2784030
Old 12-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #16

Kiss4aFrog: I had to laugh when I read your last sentence . . . I am the only one at this end of the street that had a snow blower. I am also the only one not working . . . don't have job to go to because I am on Social Security Disability.

The other driveways are so short, that I was only charging $10 each and the one neighbor just borrowed the machine to do his.

Last edited by hortlady1; 12-19-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Wanted to address Kiss4aFrog last sentence.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #17

Chevyman de: Thanks . . . don't know why I had trouble getting it before . . . I got it just before I came back here . . . without downloading a tool bar.

Guess the Simplicity model # 1691898 was manufactured in 1993. I say that because the last page has 1993 in the bottom right corner.

Last edited by hortlady1; 12-19-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Wanted to include the guesstimate on age of machine.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #18

Well laughter is good for the soul and if blowing snow puts a few bucks in your pocket and you're able to do it, so much the better. Plus I work odd hours so I know from experience how much a neighbor appreciates coming home to a clean driveway instead of a snowplow mound at the entrance to their drive !!

You started out saying that the Simplicity doesn't work well. If "we" are on a tight budget maybe explaining that and seeing what might help would be worth the time. After all it sure doesn't sound like you are against diving in to its guts just a little hesitant from a bad experience and now you have "us" and a manual
If the Simplicity was getting the job done and you can be walked through simple adjustments or replacements then if the engines running a bit off you'd only need to bring it in for a carb cleaning to get it to the point of good used condition. Sometimes better the devil you know

Your money, your time, your decision.

'08 TroyBilt Storm 2410 31AM62N2711
Old Craftsman 1032 3 stage Model 536.918900Times two Both being reworked.
JD 185 rider 17.5 Kawasaki with 38" blower
'69 Ariens SNO-THRO Mod. 10954/10955 7 hp elect start 32" 2 stage
MTD in "Estate" clothing 8/25 rebuilding as we speak
Eska 5hp SnoFlyr
Jacobsen 626 #52638 blown engine
'90s Murray 827 Mod G2784030
Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #19

Red face Are you suggesting I clean the carb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Well laughter is good for the soul and if blowing snow puts a few bucks in your pocket and you're able to do it, so much the better. Plus I work odd hours so I know from experience how much a neighbor appreciates coming home to a clean driveway instead of a snowplow mound at the entrance to their drive !!

You started out saying that the Simplicity doesn't work well. If "we" are on a tight budget maybe explaining that and seeing what might help would be worth the time. After all it sure doesn't sound like you are against diving in to its guts just a little hesitant from a bad experience and now you have "us" and a manual
If the Simplicity was getting the job done and you can be walked through simple adjustments or replacements then if the engines running a bit off you'd only need to bring it in for a carb cleaning to get it to the point of good used condition. Sometimes better the devil you know

Your money, your time, your decision.

or are you suggesting I take it to the dealer??
Old 12-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #20

Fix the Snapper, even if a GOOD shop has to do it. Improve the chute with paint and PAM. Try to install an impeller kit.

Do not get a bigger machine. The 22 is big enough. I have a 27" blower and it is good on a straight run, but it's too big, bulky, and heavy, for close in work. A used machine might be no better than the one you already have. Fixing yours and buying another used machine might not help at all. Look for a small repair shop which sells old stuff and see about a trade. That might be cost effective. Good luck.

I have had reduced capability in my right hand for about 26 years. I have had a bum shoulder for about ten years. It takes me forever to do anything, but I can still do stuff. Roof raking and shovelling are the toughest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement