1971 ariens linkage help please - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #1

Default 1971 ariens linkage help please

HI, my name is Will. I signed up here about 2 weeks ago and have been checking in everyday, sence i bought my old ariens snowblower i am hooked like i found a new hobby! lol..
Anyway i will get some pics of my machines soon, i bought 2 ariens blowers a 1971 was the first then i learned and realized it needed alittle work. Then i found a 1979 924039 with 8hp tecumseh, and this one is sexy.
Back to the 1971 after buying it i realize i think it is missing some carb linkage parts, the cable was broken i knew that when i bought it but the guy rigged it with a little twig yes a stick that was lying on the ground! to run it wide open, i know the carb needs a rebuild and the cable fixed i have the parts. MY QUESTION IS... does anybody have pictures of the original set up i could see? mine has no warm airbox or that plate over the carb that the govenor connects to, did they all have this? mine don`t mine has a airfilter and black cover i dont believe this is the stock set up. i will get some pics up for you guy`s to look at but in the meen time i am hoping to get some pics of carb set ups. i want to bring it back to original set up. thank`s Will
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 05:18 AM   #2

Don't run it with the throttle jammed open, you will blow the engine. You won't have an air filter unless it was used in the summer too. You should have a cover over the carb though.

Check these pages for some pictures.

The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.

The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #3

Yes the "airbox" (heat shield) (that is missing on yours) is original.
The airfilter and black cover is not original..
the machine does not need an airfilter when used as a snowblower,
and with the heat shield installed.

Photos of original cover setup:

With the cover removed, Shryp posted the link above..thanks!

and links to three large photos showing the carb setup:

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/Snow-Blowers/Ariens/DSC06145/773505262_omiYq-XL.jpg

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/Snow-Blowers/Ariens/DSC06144/773505035_sPVyj-XL.jpg

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/Snow-Blowers/Ariens/DSC06143/773504823_NNL8L-XL.jpg

Scot
Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #4

note..my machine (photos in the post above) is missing the primer button! thats an original feature I havent gotten around to replacing yet..it isnt really vital..I just squirt some starting fluid in the carb on really cold days (zero to 20 or so in temp)..does the same thing the primer would do..

here is a photo of Greg's machine that shows the primer button in place:

its on the side of the heat shield, just below the slot for the choke..

Scot
Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

thank`s for the help, i need pics without the cover on. my machine has the carb coming of the head with out the manifold just a 1/2inch spacer, and the throttle cable comes up to the carb from the bottom and attaches to a lever thats mount on the side of the flywheel shroud, i found the same set up in the tecumseh engine repair manual online but mine i not hooked up correctly. now i need to find the correct carb cover, do they all fit? Will
Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #6

im trying to upload some pics, here are pics of the carb on the 71, the tires i am going to mount to the other one in the pics that one is a 79 and works great but i want to fix up the 71
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-20-2011 snowblower pics 002.JPG (236.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 12-20-2011 snowblower pics 003.JPG (310.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 12-20-2011 snowblower pics 004.JPG (281.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 12-20-2011 snowblower pics 005.JPG (267.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 12-20-2011 snowblower pics 001.JPG (243.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 12-20-2011 snowblower pics 006.JPG (234.9 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by winginit; 12-20-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #7

I don't think that engine is original to 1971. It looks much newer. You shouldn't need the throttle cable as the lever in your first picture is the throttle. Up is fast and down is slow.

Also, when you mount those new tires on your 1979, triple check to make sure the tread is facing the right way
Old 12-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

I agree, doesnt look like the original engine on the '71..

wing, can you post some photos that are more of an "overview" of the engine on the machine? and not just close-up's? similar to the pic of the '79..

Scot
Old 12-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by winginit View Post
thank`s for the help, i need pics without the cover on.
Just went out and took some pics..
1971 Ariens model 910962.
with original Tecumseh H70-130067A engine:

Let me know if there is anything else specific you would like to see.
Scot
Old 12-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #10

Default Linkage

I have a couple of 7 HP Tecumseh's with differing linkage, none came on an Ariens though. Far as I can tell, pretty much the same other than whether a handlebar throttle, flywheel housing mounted, etc. Looks like the oem picked the one they want but it does make a difference where the governor arm is etc.

Get some shots showing the governor, carb and throttle and I'll bet someone here can fix you up with some measurements of what you need.

By the way, Hardware Hanks has some wire that works to make replacements if needed:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement